How to get 10lbs off by November

Sunshine16
on 10/6/17 6:07 am

I know high protein, low carbs...but what about my appetite, any suggestions?

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Janet P.
on 10/6/17 6:42 am

What do you mean by "what about my appetite"? If you're hungry, you should eat. Just make sure what you're eating is appropriate for the DS if you want to shed 10 pounds. Which means high protein, low carb, high fat, and lots of water. No sugar or simple carbs (or minimal).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 10/7/17 10:44 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Exactly what Janet said. If you're hungry...eat. Just make sure you're eating high protein foods when you do, leaving very little room for carbs. Make grab&go protein snacks that you can grab as easily as chips or anything else. Things like salami rollups, deviled eggs, cubed cheese, etc. That way you have no excuse when you don't feel like preparing anything. I'll warn you..it sucks to kick those carbs. You may feel lethargic and literally ill for a couple of days until your body stops it's dependence on them.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sunshine16
on 10/7/17 3:52 pm

Hey Valarie, well I am trying to figure it all out. I noticed when I do not have much carbs my energy is low. I completely was thinking that it was the over cast weather that was causing me to want to stay in and lay in the bed. Like this morning I had 2 protein shakes, totaling 40 grams of Protein. For lunch had a chicken salad, and my energy was low. Not until I had some Dorito's, and a slice of pizza is when I started feeling good. I think I need the carbs for energy, cannot stand the low energy. Do you have any suggestions? How to accomplish the weight loss goal and still have energy?

Valerie G.
on 10/7/17 4:17 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you really want to lose those 10 lbs, you've got to muscle through those withdrawals, which is exactly what you're experiencing. We call it the "carb flu" where you're retraining your body to depend on the slow burn of protein for fuel instead of the instant satisfaction that simple carbs give it. The crap feeling lasts a few days and you start to feel like normal again. I've done it a couple of times and hated every second of it, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sunshine16
on 10/7/17 5:39 pm

Okay, I will muscle thru and start all over tomorrow morning. I will just eat low carbs to none too death. I cannot stand when my energy is low, I start taking B12 because I love feeling normal. But at least I know that this is all part of the process. Darn I hate that I was not strong today. My goal is to get back down to a size 8, but most likely I will need to get down probably 15 for that one....Let me try my best for 10.

After my first week or three days, after this carb flu, I think exercising will help too,....We shall see, but however, I'm going to keep trying until I reach my goal of 10lbs. My BD is coming up and I want to accompli****

Sunshine16
on 10/7/17 5:45 pm

And thank you again for identifying with what I was feeling...as long as I know..Oh girl You feel tired because you are having withdrawal syndrome, it really helps. Know is part of pushing thru it.

Donna L.
on 10/7/17 12:29 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Kicking carbs automatically causes anywhere from 8-12 pounds of weight loss because it takes a lot of water to store glycogen in the muscles and liver. We use up these stores and don't need as much to be stored once we are fat adapted. So, if you are carb-heavier currently that alone will greatly shed weight.

However, weight is not the same as fat loss. If it's fat loss you're looking for, the vets know what to do to maximize that for the DS; listen to their advice.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sunshine16
on 10/7/17 5:46 pm

I tried to kick it today, but forgot part of kicking it you will go thru carb withdrawal, therefore, severe fatigue. You think you are depress and all you want to do is stay in bed.

But how long do you think it will take?

Thanks Sunshine

SkinnyBonz38
on 10/9/17 8:13 am

Hi Donna

can you explain in laygirl's term what you mean by fat adapted. I also seem to lose more fat than weight myself. Can you explain this in baby terms as well, please?

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views