Low calcium but also low PTH

krishna
on 10/18/17 3:48 pm

Last month's lab: my Calcium & D were borderline low. Unfortunately, I did not take a PTH test. My doctor gave me a vit D injection, and I increased my Vit D3 CHOLECALCIFEROL from 50,000iu everyother day, to 100,000iu everyday.

I did not increase my calcium citrate as I already take 500mg x 4 time a day, and figured it was due to low D.

I got my labs done again a few days back, and I'm concerned as my calcium is even lower, however my PTH is also low. I'm quite confused. If the PTH is low, do i need to worry? Vit D: i'm getting another injection and my doc said there's no point of getting bloods for D as the results wont be reliable.

CALCIUM: 2.01-2.61
Lastest: 2.01
Last month: 2.17

D:20-150
Last month: 20.2

PTH: 14.0 - 72
Lastest: 19.8

Any advise pls?

MajorMom
on 10/19/17 2:14 am - VA

How much and what type of calcium are you taking every day? Could be calcium citrate isn't being absorbed and you might have to switch to another form.

PTH lab can sometimes lag behind calcium and vitamin D. You might research on www.labtestsonline.org or to the vitamin D, calcium or PTH page https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/vitamin-d/ tab/sample/

The PTH level isn't too bad but I can understand the concern when you also have low D and calcium.

Keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 10/19/17 10:50 am - bay area, CA

Low PTH is GOOD, not bad! High PTH is bad, because it would mean you were using increased PTH to get calcium out of your bones to make up for not enough calcium in your blood stream.

Your calcium could be at the bottom of the normal range if your protein is low. Low albumin levels lead to false low blood test for calcium. So next time you get your calcium checked, get your albumin checked as well.

krishna
on 10/19/17 11:14 am

Thank you for both messages, I very much appreciate it.

I am taking Calcium Citrate, 500mg per dose, 4 times a day, so that's a total of 2,000mg a day. I take it with food, and 2 hours apart from other vits.

I have been absorbing this Calcium for many years, it's just in the last 2 months that it has dropped - i'm guessing it's because of my low Vit D. Previously my Vit D was very high, over the borderline so I reduced it (bit too much). And now I guess it's taking a LONG time to go back into range....? I won't know for sure until I take the blood test after another month.

I'm going to see my Doctor on Sat to discuss my results, and perhaps he'll know why my PTH is good, but Calcium on the bad side.

Thanks for the links, really useful info - I shall certainly check them out properly.

Now that you mentioned it, although my protein is within range, it has dropped and I'm definitely going to increase it:

Protein: 59.9-80.1
Latest: 68
Last month: 79

Albumin: 31.9-52.1
Latest: 40
Last month: 43

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views