(deactivated member)
on 11/7/17 11:06 pm, edited 5/22/18 10:09 pm

MajorMom
on 11/8/17 2:01 am - VA

Well done! Keep posting and help inspire others.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 11/8/17 5:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm so glad you posted your update. The only way we can gauge the future of these hybrid procedures is by way of real patients...especially since much data has these procedures categorized as DS, so they are missing on much opportunities to document success rates.

My curiosity is around your vitamin regimen presently, and how your levels are?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/17 4:04 pm

Vitamins are a really important topic and I learned something major this past month. After moving recently, my vitamins supply was scattered and so I did not follow a steady routine for a few weeks prior to having my annual blood work. My blood work came back and everything looked deceivingly normal. I also had a urine test since I'm prone to kidney stones. The urine test showed I was deficient in Calcium, which I knew would happen since I wasn't taking it the past few weeks.

The answer is your blood work can look fine even when it's not. Our bodies do a great job at compensating for things they need, i.e. taking calcium from your bones, protein from you hair, etc.

The point is the blood work can look good even when it's not. If I didn't have the urine test, I would not know I had the deficiency until it manifested itself in some other way like brittle bones that break easily, hair falling out, etc. I'm back to a normal vitamin routine now, and generally things go well when I follow it.

My normal vitamin regime is one set of vitamins a day which consists of 2 calcium citrate pills (600 iu), 2 vitamin D (10k IU each), 1 vit A, 1 Centrum Complete. I stopped taking vitamin E and Iron awhile back as they didn't seem to be needed, probably because I eat enough to cover it thru food.

Valerie G.
on 11/9/17 4:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You are taking far fewer vitamins than the DSers are. (we take at least 1500mg Calcium and 50k of D). Your D levels contribute to your calcium absorption, so do watch those, especially now since we're not absorbing sun so much anymore). Don't be afraid to bump that up if you see a downward trend. A few weeks without shouldn't make a huge difference, and your needs are subject to shifting year to year. For instance, I didn't need extra iron for 10 years, but last year I added it to my list when my blood results showed a significant dip.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeteA
on 11/8/17 8:33 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It shouldn't be controversial. Congratulations. given the differences I'm surprised you got down that low but glad that you got back to a somewhat healthier weight even if it isn't quite where you want it to be.

It's a good point that some people miss out on in the rush of either actually losing weight or the thought of losing weight. You are still you. You're priorities may not change but you may have more ways to realize those priorities.

I'm not sure about the whole side effects thing being less. Sounds like you have the typical side effects that I hear from many people with a traditional DS but sounds not too bad for you.

So it's a different surgery. I didn't realize that the way the SADI works it was possible to lengthen the CC and wonder if you have seen anything that says doing that would really change anything. Just curious.

The last line is really the telling one. Whatever works for you is the right decision - makes sense to me.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/17 4:08 pm

Pete, my cc is 300 cm vs 50 to 150 in normal DS, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes. The side effects and experiences are nearly identical to others with the original DS. I think I match some people with the DS more than other DSer's match them. It probably has more to do with your starting health and body reaction to WLS in general.

PeteA
on 11/9/17 7:58 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I think you missed my point. I understand that the responses can be the same but I was wondering if the plumbing with you having a single anastomosis left anything to lengthen your CC. I understand how that would work with traditional DS plumbing but I find the SADI pictures confusing. I originally found the DS pictures confusing too but after several discussions with my surgeon I feel I understand that better.

They are just different surgeries even though the overall aims are the same (restriction, malabsorption). While I think most DS'rs are really in the 100 - 150 CC range I think a traditional DS going from 150 to 300 would be a big difference. Maybe some of the DS people that had revisions to lengthen their CC could sound off on that.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/17 10:25 pm
Waterfall118
on 11/9/17 5:42 pm

Hi! Thank you for sharing your story. After much research and trusting my doctor I am having the SADi-ds with a 300 cc. My surgery is on November 20th. I feel like anytime I share that on forums people attack me and treat me like an idiot for this choice. One person said well you obviously have not done your research. So it is nice to hear from someone who had this done.

Sherri surgery scheduled 11/20/17!

"An incredibly SMART, AMAZING, HANDSOME, SILLY KID with AUTISM ROCKS my entire WORLD." I asked my son once what he would tell people to help them know more about Autism. He said, "I would want them to know that even Albert Einstein had autism."

HW: 312

CW: 286.4

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views