More questions

Fire_Ice
on 11/17/17 9:19 am
DS on 10/25/17

I've seen several references to the "honeymoon period" for weight loss after surgery. How long is that?

Is there a book out there that you'd recommend on DS? Or a cookbook/website that features recipes for DS post-op?

I've been looking at some protein based desserts (to make in the future) and they all either use a zero calorie sweetener or something like agave. I talked to my DS doctor yesterday and he said that those sweeteners were actually worse for me than just regular sugar. What have you found to be true?

Janet P.
on 11/17/17 12:49 pm

My answers are based strictly on my experience - I'm 14+ years out from my DS. I've maintained my 175 weight loss the entire time.

The honeymoon period is basically the first year (or so) or when you start introducing more carbohydrates. I don't know any books about the DS. I've learned almost everything I've learned about the DS by living with it and asking questions on websites like this!

With the standard DS we generally absorb about 50% (this varies) of what we eat, EXCEPT FOR SUGAR, which we absorb 100%. Carbohydrates turn into sugar, which is why you limit your carbohydrates to help with the weight loss. In the first six month or so I tried to limit my carb intake to no more than 30 grams of carbs per day. This is probably the biggest challenge but it forces you to learn about the food you eat. I remember grocery shopping taking forever because I was reading everything. I needed to learn.

Adding carbohydrates is how we slow the weight loss - it's also a natural progression. This is also why in my opinion the DS is the absolute best surgery for long term success. The tool (the malabsorption) is always there. Even at 14 years post-op, if I gain a few pounds, all I need to do is limit my carbs, and I'll lose those extra pounds.

It's finding the balance that is the lifelong challenge. How many carbs can you eat without gaining weight (or getting bloating and having bathroom issues - but that's another conversation).

Real food is better than artificial foods. I do use some artificial sweetners but I do use sugar - it does taste better. If I want a cookie, I eat a cookie. I don't eat "diet" food - except for diet soda.

Keep asking questions.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Fire_Ice
on 11/17/17 3:15 pm
DS on 10/25/17

Thank you for answering all of my questions. It sounds like there's an opportunity there for someone to write an e-book and put it up online for the rest of us. :)

That's good to know about the carbs/sugar, and was one of the reasons I chose DS over gastric. Better long-term success and I wanted the ability to eat sweets again in the future if I so desired. I don't imagine downing an entire chocolate cake or anything (well, I imagine it but I'm not actually going to do it), but I want to be able to have bites of things I love (and will always love).

Is the effect the same with artificial sweeteners? Does your body still count it as carbs?

And are you ever able to drink liquids at the same time as you eat? Or does the abstaining from water half an hour before and half an hour after still apply even as you go on?

Janet P.
on 11/18/17 4:50 am

Everybody reacts differently to artificial sweeteners. You won't know definitively until after surgery. It's also what choices you make. I eat alot of carbs, but I try to eat them strategically. If I know I'm going to be out and about, I may limit my carb intake (because carb intake can come with bathroom issues). I do use artificial sweeteners but it clearly bloats me at times (but I still choose to use them).

I didn't drink and eat for years. I followed the surgeon's instructions about that (nothing 30 minutes before or after). I also didn't really want to because for me it was all about the food. I do drink and eat now, but in reality it may only be a sip or two. Nothing like pre-op where I could down a couple of cans of soda (or tea or whatever) while eating dinner. When I go out, I almost never order a drink because it usually just sits there. If I want something I'll just sip water. If I order a glass of wine, I always fini**** before I start eating.

Everything is about choice. Can you drink hot chocolate? Eventually, but it probably shouldn't be your first beverage of choice.

Also remember that your tastes will change after surgery. I don't know why but it does. I'm sure someone can answer that question. Sweet things can taste VERY sweet, especially right after surgery.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 11/19/17 12:38 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

My way of dealing with sweets is that I always eat my protein first, filling up space. That way I have only a couple of bites for capacity and I'll enjoy the heck out of whatever I want, be it bread, cake..whatever. That way, I never feel deprived, and yes, it all counts for carbs.

For the DS Math, we malabsorb:

• 80% fat
  • 50% protein
  • 40% complex carbs (think veggies)
  • 0% simple carbs (sweets, flour, refined and processed)

Drinking away from eating isn't necessary as it is with RNY because our plyoric valve prevents water from washing food out of our stomach. It does, however, fill you up prematurely, so only take a few sips for a while when eating, or wait until you're done eating before enjoying a beverage (but you don't need to wait 30 min).

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Fire_Ice
on 11/17/17 3:58 pm
DS on 10/25/17

P.S. Is there a hot chocolate I can drink? I'm happy to go sugar free, but I'm wondering if it's strictly out. I love hot chocolate and it makes me sad that I can't have it.

Valerie G.
on 11/19/17 12:43 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

The HOneymoon period is that time that you will lose weight no matter what you do wrong or right. This magical time usually lasts about a year. When you notice your weight loss slowing down, you know you're at the end of this period.

As for books, I got nothing. There are a few useful Facebook pages of DSers that are very active. No cookbooks are needed, as you simply need to think "meat, cheese, fat, and vegetables" when it comes to meals. Don't make it too hard. Stick to whole foods, homemade, avoiding processed foods so you know exactly what you're eating. Avoid foods that note being "low fat" or "non fat" because they add extra carbs or sugar to make it taste better.

Your needs are 100+grams of protein and 64g of fluids. Try to keep mindful about your carbs to not go overboard beyond veggies for a while. Those who count everything they eat keep that number to 50g or less of carbs.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeteA
on 11/20/17 6:19 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I think the honeymoon period can be anywhere from 12 -24 months and mostly I feel it is more a period where you are laser focused on following a strict diet / lifestyle change. for me, physically, I didn't really have much room for more than mostly protein for the first 8 or 9 months.

No book that I know of. I've seen it talked about once in a while.

You can search on Facebook. There is a DS recipes group although not very activve any more. Still good to search through though. A lor of people use Keto recipes too.

While some people come out of the DS having a problem with artificial sweeteners mostly Doctors have that idea for all their patients and not just DS'rs. I've never had a problem with artificial sweeteners and kept up post-op with things like crystal light and sweetener in my tea. Maybe it's causing me an issue long term but I lump it into the category of something will kill you in the end. If I ever see some direct research I may rethink that but not for now. :) I love my crystal light....

You might search the archives there are some deserts that include protein powder. I seem to remember some "cakes in a cup". I'm sure people have put out recipes in the past.

Something with cheese and pudding mix. I can't recall the name right now (some kind of fluff) but maybe someone will chime in. I'm 4.5 years out and mostly left a lot of the special stuff I used the first 2 years behind although I still do protein shakes (Optimum nutrition).

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Fire_Ice
on 11/21/17 2:27 pm
DS on 10/25/17

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'm at the end of my soft veggies/soft meats phase and I get to start eating "normal" DS food now.

With protein - when I make it for my family, there's some kind of sauce or seasoning involved (like teriyaki or BBQ). Can I scrape that off? Should I be aiming for "naked" protein? Or is it such a small amount that it doesn't matter?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 237 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 727 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views