Constipation issue

Fire_Ice
on 11/19/17 3:48 pm
DS on 10/25/17

Sorry to get so personal, but I need help. I'm about a month post surgery. I saw my doctor last week. I'm someone who was a two to three bowel movements a day pre-surgery. I didn't even really pay attention in classes to the constipation parts because I figured it wouldn't be an issue.

It's an issue. My poop isn't hard, it just isn't coming out. I've been taking Miralax daily, I'm drinking 64 ounces of water, I'm taking Benefiber, and nothing is happening.

The problem is that it's backing up everything else. I'm finding that I can't eat because when I try I already feel totally full and get that acid reflux feeling (even when it's first thing in the morning and it's been twelve hours or more since I last ate).

Last night it was causing me internal pain. I ended up using a glycerin suppository and got a bunch of green sludge (about the size of half a cantaloupe). This is not the first time that's happened. It's in there, when I do something to pu**** along it's easy to get out (and it's a ridiculously large amount when it comes out). I'm just not pooping. Which I'd be fine with if it wasn't causing me pain and/or preventing me from eating.

Any advice or tips would be welcome.

Valerie G.
on 11/20/17 7:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you're still taking pain meds I'd blame those, but most are done with them at a month out. I would ask the doc about this. It could be that your muscles aren't working. This could be the result of damage or just slow healing, but the doc needs to be informed.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Fire_Ice
on 11/21/17 2:21 pm
DS on 10/25/17

No pain meds, no dairy. I called the doctor again yesterday and he basically thinks I should leave it alone unless I'm in internal pain again. Keep drinking, keep taking fiber. That for some DS patients going once every five days is normal. I think he's hoping it'll resolve on its own.

Valerie G.
on 11/26/17 9:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I know a lot of DSers, and I don't know any that call that normal. If you experience any pain, don't hesitate a second. I still fear an obstruction.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Fire_Ice
on 11/26/17 10:17 am
DS on 10/25/17

It actually seems to be working better. I did some glycerin suppositories, and it cleaned me out pretty well, also did some Miralax for a few days. Since then I've been taking just the Benefiber and things seem to be becoming more normal. I've actually downloaded a poop app (the internet really does have everything) to help me keep track and I've been going much more frequently. I've been using my husband's Squatty Potty, which also seems to help. The pain sensations have gone away.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 147 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views