Revision- sleeve to DS?

LizzyM
on 1/22/18 12:24 pm

i tried the revision board but can't seem to find any info. Has anyone gone from sleeve to full DS years after original surgery? I've had a 50 lb regain after losing 136 with just a sleeve. Thanks for any info, I appreciate it!

Liz

7 lbs. lost preop included in total
larra
on 1/22/18 1:53 pm - bay area, CA

I can't speak from personal experience, but we see new people wanting to revise from VSG to DS all the time. Many people with sleeves experience significant weight regain after the restriction lessens, since that's all you have to help you.

You might - or might not- also need a re-sleeve, depending on how your sleeve is holding up, but that's something to discuss with your surgeon.

Larra

PeteA
on 1/23/18 7:43 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I have no actual experience for you but it is the logical extension from the VSG. It always struck me as a little strange that it is a revision as opposed to an upgrade or a refinement since the VSG is an integral part of the full DS. I hope it works out for you.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Janet P.
on 1/23/18 9:09 am

Technically it's not a revision. It's simply the second part of the DS. Anyone with a DS has the sleeve, you're just adding the switch part. There should be a number of folks who have done this.

Hopefully you'll get some responses on the DS forum. Check the "General Discussion" forum as well.

I actually have a friend who is currently researching the same thing (we had our surgeries around the same time - I had the DS and she had the sleeve).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

jndrake
on 1/28/18 6:15 pm - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
VSG on 12/10/13

Hi, I had the VSG surgery and 4 years later the DS. I did not have my sleeve touched for the second surgery. I had regained about 30 lbs from the180 I lost with the VSG. The DS was easier to recover from as my stomach was not cut. I have lost about 65 lbs since July and don't regret it at all. I go to the bathroom about 6-8 times a day which sucks and I'm really hoping I get to a place that I only go a few times in the morning like lots of vets report.

"You're off to great places today is your day your mountain is waiting so get on your way.Oh the Places you'll go" Dr.Seuss

nicholivolkoff
on 1/30/18 9:52 am - Canada

I had the second part to DS added a few years after vsg. I went from around 225 down to a nice 150 with the vsg alone. It was inactivity that ruined everything. At the time, I left my job and became couch-bound. I had the switch added to a stretched out sleeve, since I was quickly regaining. I never lost a pound, because I did not TRY at all. I plan to turn this around, at once.

The first surgery, vsg, was painful for weeks but bearable. The DS part was actually painless.

GTAVAREZ88
on 1/31/18 10:20 am

I am on the same boat! I had my VSG on 11/2014 after childbirth regained from 158 pre pregnancy weight to 205 post pregnancy. I did not gain as much throughout pregnancy at 9 months pregnant I only went up to 186lb lost 14lb after child birth but gained from 174lb to 205 CW. I don't know how but my appetite has increased so much... Please let us know how it goes after your part 2 DS!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 278 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 752 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views