New Study for those Considering SADI/SIPS

PattyL
on 2/20/18 3:23 pm

Fat malabsorbtion gone at the 1 year point. Looks like to be successful long term would be low cal, low fat, low carb, and average protein.

https://obesityweek.com/abstract/physiopathological-differences-after-duodenal-switch-and-single-anastomosis-duodeno-ileal-bypass-sadi-s/

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/18 11:26 pm
larra
on 2/21/18 10:04 am - bay area, CA

I'm glad that your experience has been positive, but that's the experience of one fortunate person, who is now bashing someone for posting an article from a scientific conference that was NOT about bashing any operation, but rather, a study showing that fat malabsorption with SADI is not permanent and lasts a relatively short time. That's science, not "bashing".

If SADI is working for you, it's doing so without fat malabsorption. Good for you, but that doesn't mean the article isn't accurate, or that posting it constitutes bashing.

Larra

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/18 9:55 pm
Valerie G.
on 2/21/18 10:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

SADI is experimental, and saying so has nothing to do with bashing. The DS was considered experimental for 20 years and SADI's been around for what....5? You're one of the farthest post-ops I've seen. Until SADI (or LoopDS or SIPS - whatever name they decide on) becomes standardized and proven as a successful long-term tool, you and patients like you are pioneers. The reports like what are posted are valuable and necessary to compare the two in a fair and balanced way. Wouldn't you think it valuable for a doc to tell a patient that they are no longer malabsorbing fat, so lay off of the fat bombs? On a happy note, it might also suggest that the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins may improve after that second year, too. These are all worth following, especially being one of those pioneers yourself.

What is bashed is surgeons saying they are giving their patients a DS, not disclosing that it is experimental, or billing insurance for a DS when performing SADI (or LoopDS or SIPS, whatever they call it). All of that is perfectly worthy of bashing. They are unscrupulous and fruadulent.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/18 10:05 pm
Valerie G.
on 2/26/18 7:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

To consider SADI to not be experimental:

1. Decide on a name. There should only be one.
  2. Be able to apply for pre-approval under that name to any insurance company that covers wls.
  3. No longer need to find out how to live from DS patients, since after 10 years that must be millions of patients to share.
  4. See a SADI dosage on the back of the designer bariatric vitamins.

These would all be signs that it's no longer experimental.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 2/21/18 12:41 pm

I wish you continued success.

Reporting science is not bashing or foolish. The article is a statement of facts observed by researchers. As time goes on there will be more studies completed and published on SADI/SIPS. That is exactly what should be done. And when studies come out they should be published and discussed.

I do have an issue with medical professionals selling these look alike procedures as the same or better than a DS. They are deceiving their patients because they do not know. At one point, they thought the LAP Band was going to work too. When they first did the DS years ago, they didn't know what the end results were until studies were done. Now they know. One day there will be something better than the DS and personally, I hope it's a pill. But I sure don't believe it's SADI.

Meanwhile, it is a logical assumption that more absorbtion of fat equals less weight lost and more regain. You don't have to be an MD or a rocket scientist to connect those dots. It's just common sense. But time will be the great truth teller. 15 years from now we will know for sure.

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/18 9:30 pm
Beam me up Scottie
on 2/24/18 3:12 pm
Since when is science foolish?

OH should really create a SADI board. It's a different surgery and this study proves it.
Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 90 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 90 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 646 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views