I can't believe it's been 15 years

Janet P.
on 2/25/18 5:24 am

I guess I'm considered one of the old timers. Fifteen years ago today I had my DS and it has changed my life. I was 45 when I had the DS - other than being SMO, my primary co-morbidity was sleep apnea, which completely disappeared about a year after my surgery along with my pacemaker. No HBP, never had diabetes (and hopefully now I never will). For the most part, my labs are good. I do battle iron deficiency anemia and unfortunately I've developed osteoporosis. Even with these issues I would not change a thing.

I do not take any prescribed medications. Everything I take is vitamins. I get all my protein from food (haven't touched a protein shake in more than a decade). I was fortunate to have had a TT and breast lift about 4 years after surgery (that was mostly paid for by insurance). I've maintained my weight for 14 years. This past year I gained about 10 pounds and have finally succeeded in losing it (just by eliminating some simple carbs).

The DS does not rule my life. It plays an important role but doesn't rule it. I always take my vitamins. If I know I'm going to be out for the day/evening, I make sure I have vitamins in my purse. I always travel with food. My favorite snack right now is beef jerky - a perfect DS snack.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

dcopehp
on 2/25/18 9:39 am - New York, NY

Thanks for sharing your story!

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/18 10:23 pm
Fire_Ice
on 2/27/18 9:54 am
DS on 10/25/17

Congrats! It's very inspiring to hear stories like yours!

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/28/18 8:03 pm
I definitely agree that the DS does not rule our lives!

I always said I can pop a handful of vitamins easily, but I cannot control what I eat as easily (if I could- I wouldn't have needed WLS).

Did you find that you need a tummy tuck "touch up"? I was talking to a plastic surgeon and he said PS needs to be touched up every 6 or so years to maintain the taunt skin.

Scott
Janet P.
on 3/1/18 3:00 am

Scott - there are a number of reasons I would never have plastics again. First I had a pretty hard recovery from the TT. Second, I'm 61 (wink wink) and since I was SMO my entire adult life (and an apple shape), the saggy skin will always be everywhere. I'm thrilled that I had the original TT and breast lift, which removed the apron and the grandma boobs, but I'm done with plastics.

With all that said, I don't cover up. I will put on a bathing suit and go swimming, I'll wear shorts in the summer.

I just need to get back to the gym and tone some of those muscles under the saggy skin :)

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Kathy S.
on 3/1/18 2:38 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Thanks Janet for stopping by and giving us update. Congratulations

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 92 views