14 Years Today!!

charlietuna54
on 4/20/18 2:31 am, edited 4/20/18 2:36 am - St. Augustine, FL

Where do I start?? This has been a great life since WLS. When I started this journey the Drs had told me I was headed to an early death when I weighed 500 lbs and gaining weight monthly. I am so thankful I had friends that were brave enough and caring enough that spoke w me about the DS. Truly a life changing and life saving procedure.

Prior to DS I was not a happy person and can still remember the pain and health issues. The embarrassment of being overweight. The extreme health issues. Depression. Not being able to fit in restaraunt booths. And the feeling that everyone was watching every bite of food I placed in my mouth. Today I can only remember the good. Being able to buy clothes in "normal" sizes; able to travel by planes without worrying the seat will be too small or the seatbelt won't fit; getting on the floor and play with my grandkids; enjoying time with my wife; working in the yard in August in Florida and not sweating to death; going to Disneyworld all day without getting exhausted; just having energy and getting up looking forward to the day! I really enjoy my life today!!

I still am diligent in taking my vitamins, but still fight to get good labs. The last couple years my iron level has dropped, but doubling up on iron supplements seem to have corrected the issue. Blood pressure is almost to low. Heart rate stays in mid 50s. Sleep apnea cured.

I still see my surgeon at least annually as well as my PCP. My surgeon is located in Celebration, Fl. I can't think of a better name of a town to have started my journey then Celebration, as it has been a 14 year Celebration.

I am so happy this horrible disease is finally being recognized by the mainstream medical society as a disease. People that have never suffered with this disease have no idea how horrible it is. I never could understand how drug addiction and alcoholism was recognized as a disease but obesity was not. I can't tell you how many times I was told if I would only eat "normal" I would lose weight by a skinny person eating a chocolate sundae while telling me. They have no idea!! I still hurt for those I see suffering from this disease. I struggle with the feeling I should go talk to them and tell them of their options, but still remember how I would have felt if a stranger had said something to me.

If you are looking into this journey do lots of research and make sure it is right for you. I would go back every year and have the surgery if it was required. For me it was the right decision. But you have to make your own decision and realize this is a life time commitment. It is not a quick fix. If you are not committed and fail to do what is required you will get in trouble from the malabsorption.

I want to thank those who stuck by me before and during my journey. First of all to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, through Him I was able to gather the courage and strength to make the decision to have WLS and He has been with me throughout - My wife, who is my soulmate and has been my inspiration, my kids who have added so much life to me, my grandkids who have given me a whole new reason for living, my Mom, who I lost in July 2008, she always believed in me and encouraged me to research WLS, my friends who were there before and after surgery, and to ObesityHelp.com. This website established a community that enabled me to decide to go forward with the surgery and provided untold amouint of support to me after wards and even today. While I don't post often there is barely a day that goes by I dont take a few minutes to visit the site.

If you have any questions that I can help with please reach out to me.

No matter where you are on this journey I pray you find the answers, solutions, and cure that is right for you.

Charlie

[email protected]

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/18 7:08 am
Janet P.
on 4/20/18 9:07 am

Glad to hear life is good Charlie!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Crazeru
on 4/20/18 11:33 am

Keep living the good life Charlie! Congrats on your 14 surgiversary!

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

PattyL
on 4/20/18 1:12 pm

Good to know you are still out there loving life! Take care!

PeteA
on 4/23/18 7:24 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Good for you. Being able to be satisfied / happy with life is really the goal.

Congrats,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

LadyDi9080
on 4/28/18 2:53 am - Tallahassee, FL

Chatlie, it sounds like you have had a great ride! Happy surgiversity to you!

SW / GW / CW  5'10"
306 / 165 / 140
With the DS: there is no stoma, so no stoma strictures; there are no limitations (other than volume) against drinking before, during or after meals; 80% of ingested fat is malabsorbed; 98.9% of type II diabetics are CURED of this devastating disease, with data showing stable cure over 10 years out; there is the best average weight loss and most durable (average 76% excess weight loss going out 10 years) of all of the bariatric surgeries.  That's why I had a DS!

MargaretMary
on 7/9/18 7:36 pm

I worry about getting older and managing the needs of the DS. I'm 10 years out and take my vitamins. I worry about being old and not having the ability to continue my regimen of bits/protein

buying the vits bits and putting them in the little cases to manage them. No carbs, enough fat and lots of water. You know the drill. It scares me that I won't be able to feed this machine (body) that is me now. I'm 66 yrs old and 10 years out.

charlietuna54
on 7/22/18 6:41 pm - St. Augustine, FL

I am 64. 14 years out. Been in hospital a couple times over last 14 years but not related to my DS. Once I explain the DS they were great at making sure I got all my vitamins and protein. I am off all my meds. Had severe sleep apnea. Just had a sleeep study 3 weeks ago and still no apnea. I take one prescription and that is potassium. My levels are always low so I take a bunch in morning and afternoon and levels stabilized. Just can't miss a dose. You will be fine. Just make sure your PCP and family is aware of the nutrition needs. I carry a card with all that information. We all have plenty of things to worry about. Don't let your vitamin needs be one of those worrisome issues. Looks like you have had a great 10 year journey. Congratulations.

Charlie.

MargaretMary
on 10/15/18 7:37 am

Than you. Your positive support means so much to me!!! I've been anxious about "everything DS". After 10 years, I should be past these issues. I'm finding it harder to manage things lately. Psychology issues I guess. I'm seeing a psychologist, and she is helping me. Thanks again!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 271 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views