Am I supposed to be this exhausted a week and half out?

Sgerbie
on 4/21/18 9:06 am
DS on 04/11/18

My DS is a revision for me. I can't remember being this tired after the gastric bypass. However that was 12 yrs ago. So memories aren't as sharp. I'm 10 days out. Maybe I'm expecting to much. When did others start to get more energy back?

Thank

sharon

larra
on 4/21/18 10:12 am - bay area, CA

Yes, you are supposed to be exhausted and you'll ahead of the game, with a RNY to DS revision, just to be out of the hospital without any major complications. This is the biggest, most complex, highest risk bariatric revision there is.

Walk frequently, just around the house. If you can do that much, you're doing great. It sounds like you went into this with an unrealistic idea of what recovery would be like. It's rough! Be gentle with yourself and give yourself a chance to heal.

Larra

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/18 12:45 pm
Beam me up Scottie
on 4/21/18 7:30 pm
It took me about 2 months to feel back to "normal". I was constantly tired for the first 3 to 4 weeks. Then at about the 5th week, I'd be ok for a few hours, but then just hit a wall and would need to rest.

So yes....it gets better.
Janet P.
on 4/22/18 4:52 am

Absolutely. You had major surgery and your body needs time to heal. I started to feel better toward the end of week three (I took 4 weeks off work - a desk job). I remember going out in week four and knew I was ready to go back to work, but I went back part time for two weeks. For me it was also getting use to living with the DS especially with eating.

I don't know your personal situation (whether you have help, kids, your age, etc.) so if you're doing a lot at home that could also play a role.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Sgerbie
on 4/22/18 5:17 am
DS on 04/11/18

Thank you all for reminding me I'm going to fast. My expectation are defiantly a bit off here.

Sharon

PinkCake
on 4/22/18 2:27 pm

Yes I had my revision on 02/05/18 and there are days I still struggle with exhaustion. However at about week 6/7 it was like a light switch turned on and my yucky feeling days vanished and the exhaustion started to get better. Your body had actually had 2 separate surgeries one on the stomach and one on the intestines. So go slow and easy it does get better I promise.

Sgerbie
on 4/22/18 3:20 pm
DS on 04/11/18

Did you have any acid reflux. Today I can't even drink much do to it. Sick stomach day as well. Definitely a yucky feeling day. Your right the stomach, intestines and gallbladder. Doc wants me as active as possible. So, you know I take that to mean run a marathon. I could not do that before. LOL. DS is going to take a lot more recovery I guess. Thanks for the insight.

Sharon

PinkCake
on 4/22/18 7:15 pm

I had horrible heartburn my Dr prescribed an OTC. Call and let them know your having this issue the OTC med fixed mine pretty quick.

sweetpotato1959
on 4/23/18 8:05 pm

Also be sure to do a tight control on your calorie/protein/fluid intake...not having enough calories just after surgery will also make your energy levels bottom out... follow your Dr's orders...take it easy, remember you are in recovery from a major surgery.. Give yourself time to get back to your normal level of activity.

Head elevation when you lie down may help with reducing reflux until you see/call Surgery team. They probably have a protocol they recommend. I use prevacid 30 mg prn, it works fastest for me, many years past surgery...

Knowing what to do for various symptoms can save you a lot of pain and grief. Knowing what works best for me to reduce inflammation in intestines reduces my chances of gastric torsion. I have had 2 and they are no fun. Pay attention to your body, symptoms, how fast/slow your food moves./ foods tolerated poorly.. ie.. gas forming.. symptoms when digestion slows...effects of any meds you take...etc. Learn to correlate your diet and symptoms.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views