Feeling dizzy - call ambulance?

krishna
on 5/17/18 7:02 pm

Hey,

I'm starting to feel dizzy for the past 2 days - and it's getting difficult to walk.

1) Should I call the ambulance and at the hospital check if i'm dehydrated or have low albumin. This way, I will be helped immediately.

2) Or should I go go through my general doctor and Haematologist, which will take time - getting an appointment for blood test, waiting for the results...the whole process is quite slow.

I have recently changed my iron from carbonyl to bisglycinate. Maybe that could be the issue. I have also not been drinking enough water for the past 1 week - i've just increased it.

I'm 7 years out.

What do you advise please?

PeteA
on 5/18/18 7:16 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Look. If you are having difficulty walking then the ER is the best answer. If you are too dizzy to get there safely on your own then call an ambulance.

I can't imagine it is the iron if the change is fairly recent but check to make sure you are getting the same amount of elemental iron. I know carbonyl is 1 for 1 but I don't know if the same holds true for bisglycinate.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Janet P.
on 5/21/18 3:16 am

Hopefully you didn't wait for an answer and immediately called 911 (or at the very least got yourself to the ER).

I also doubt it's your iron (but I'm not a doctor so I will not offer medical advice). With that said, you were probably dehydrated. We (DSers) can get dehydrated very very easily and quickly, and once you do, it's really hard to reverse it with water only - IV is usually required (especially if it's been days of not enough water).

Have you had a full set of labs done recently?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

krishna
on 5/21/18 4:53 am

Thanks for both of your replies - it's greatly appreciated.

That whole night, i drank 6 litres of water, thinking that maybe I was dehydrated. Early morning, the dizziness was getting slightly worse so I did call the ER and was advised to go straight to the hospital.

I got my bloods tested there - and they did some physical tests on me as well. After waiting for the whole day, I was told the blood results were fine. Apparently, I had a 'tension headache'.

I went home thinking they had no idea what they were talking about, but realised they were right. The dizziness went away when I rested.

At the moment i'm resting for a couple of days, and I do notice i get headaches and light headed if I'm over working.

I am going to get the results of my bloods this week from my GP. And separately, I have done bloods for my haematologist, and waiting for that too.

Shall update, thanks:)

krishna
on 6/23/18 11:27 am

Just a quick update:

My surgeon confirmed that the dizziness was not due to low albumin, even though my albumin was actually low, but not enough to cause dizziness.

My kinesiologist confirmed I have digestive / gut issues, and has put me on probiotics - which i have to admit has made a huge difference - especially with the stomach pains and bloating.

I still get slightly light headed and tired when i have a fizzy drink, wheat, and cheese all in one go - like at pizza hut!!! I'm working on changing that - damn it!

ArnoldSteven
on 4/1/21 3:02 pm, edited 4/4/21 7:35 am

If this feeling lasts for 2 days, then of course, call the ambulance! Look, if you feel bad for so long than of course go and see a doctor. If there is no pain and it is not an emergency then ask someone to take you to the hospital. But please, don't stay at home and don't hope that the pain will go away. This are the symptoms, and you should not hide them. So I think that it is in your interest to go to a place where professionals can help you, to a place that is equipped with medical equipment, and where you will be given the correct medication. Best of luck and stay healthy!

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 648 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views