DS years after RNY

StevesGal
on 5/22/18 1:03 pm - Hamilton, Canada

Hello everyone. I had an RNY performed almost 7 years ago and I lost about 115 lbs. Since then I've managed to gain back about 70 lbs thru emotional eating. Since I figured it out, I've tried WW with limited success ... only to gain it back in a few months. I have reached out to my surgeon about getting revision surgery and have an appointment in June. I've been lead to believe that he would turn my RNY into a Sleeve. Is this true? Has anyone had this done? I'd like some input of the process if anyone has any information.

Thanks.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

airbender
on 5/22/18 4:12 pm
On May 22, 2018 at 8:03 PM Pacific Time, StevesGal wrote:

Hello everyone. I had an RNY performed almost 7 years ago and I lost about 115 lbs. Since then I've managed to gain back about 70 lbs thru emotional eating. Since I figured it out, I've tried WW with limited success ... only to gain it back in a few months. I have reached out to my surgeon about getting revision surgery and have an appointment in June. I've been lead to believe that he would turn my RNY into a Sleeve. Is this true? Has anyone had this done? I'd like some input of the process if anyone has any information.

Thanks.

that depends...who is your surgeon? there are only a handful that can go from rny to ds.... and a rny to sleeve is NOT a DS

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

califsleevin
on 5/22/18 5:15 pm - CA

An RNY can be revised into a sleeve, as that is part of doing an RNY to DS revision, though I would be skeptical about how successful that would be as the RNY and VSG are so similar in their weightloss power. The revision to the DS makes a lot more sense as the DS has the better regain resistance which is often what is needed after having regain problems with one of the other procedures. As noted above, the RNY/DS revision is a very complex procedure that only a handful of surgeons are qualified to perform, but it seems to work pretty good from the people that I have seen having it done from the couple of docs we have been associated with. The only doc in Canada that I am aware of that can perform this procedure would be Dr. Gagner in Montreal.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

PattyL
on 5/22/18 9:41 pm

The sleeve is just another diet with a smaller stomach. It is not likely that RNY to sleeve would get you any significant weight loss.

jzwife
on 5/27/18 7:22 pm
I had the RNY done back in 2005. I orginally lost approximately 60 pounds then slowly started to regain my weight. When I finally had the courage to go back to the doctor it was discovered that I had a fistula. My stomach had reattached itself and my food was going into 2 stomachs. A little bizarre. Long story short in 2011 I had a revision to the DS. It was a long and complicated surgery but I had a wonderful surgeon and zero complications. I lost 160 pounds from the DS. I've gained a few of them back but overall I am very healthy and happy. No regrets. My surgeon is now retired but did weightloss surgery for 40 years. He said that the RNY might be called the gold standard but in his book the DS was the platinum and if he had t to do all over again he would only do the DS because of the success rate of the surgery.

Louise H.
on 5/28/18 1:24 pm

I have a question. My doctor does the DS, particularly for people who need better results after RNY surgery, or Gastric Sleeve. He says it's very effective, but people spend most of their time in the bathroom, and can lead to nutrition deficiencies. Is that your experience?

jzwife
on 5/30/18 9:37 am
No. When you first have the revision your intestinal tract does struggle a bit to make the adjustments to its newly rerouted plumbing but you don't spend all day in the bathroom. You do need to be prepared for unexpected gas and occasional accident that you thought was gas. LOL but it passes and everything adjusts to the new system. I wish I had done the DS the first time but since that wasn't the case I have no regrets in getting it done when I had the revision. Its well worth it.
VeronicaJ5
on 7/8/18 2:38 pm - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16

The amount of fat you ingest is equal to how much time you spend in the bathroom. I have around 3-4 bowel movements a day, but I also had that before I had the DS. The difference is the texture because of the fat mal-absorption. I could probably "bulk" my stool up but I have found for myself there is a very fine line between constipation and what I normally have. I eat a lot of fruits/vegetables fibrous things of the sort and don't feel the need to add anymore.

msfloretta_1
on 5/28/18 12:50 am - Houston, Tx

Hello. I had the RNY done eight years ago. I weighed 380lbs and I lost 160.

I have since regained, and weigh almost 340lbs.

I am hoping to have a revision to the DS.

I had my first appointment/consultation with my surgeon, and he wants me to first have an endoscopy done and we will go from there.

I will update after the endoscopy is done.

Janet P.
on 5/28/18 4:28 am, edited 5/27/18 9:29 pm

RNY to DS is a very complicated surgery. I believe Dr. Elariny has done a few of them.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views