Probiotic recommendation?

shorehon
on 5/28/18 9:43 am

After having the DS 10 years ago, I took a probiotic (for only a few years) that I loved because it cleared up those "stinky bathroom" issues I'd had all my life. At some point, I stopped taking it, but after reading about the importance of gut health in general, I started taking Florastor, as per my PCP. Not sure what it does but it's definitely not affecting the "stinky" issues. I wish I could remember the brand I used to take but I can't - just that it happened to be very small and inexpensive, you only had to take one a day and it totally resolved the "stinky" issue! These days there are SO many on the market, I don't know WHAT brand to try! I'm not concerned about the cost and the size...just that, not to be gross...but that my nose will be able to tell the difference! lol Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks!

Janet P.
on 5/29/18 9:41 am

Actually a probiotic will not take care of the "stinky" issue, at least not DS related stinkyness. I currently take two Garden of Life Primal Defense HSO probiotic every morning. I also take 2 Devrom capsules three times a day (that's what helps with the DS stinkyness).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 5/31/18 10:58 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It really depends on what is causing the stinkiness. If it is your eating a probiotic won't really help. If there is some kind of overgrowth in your gut something like Primal Defense might help. I usually take just a generic probiotic from vitamin Shoppe so not a lot to offer there. I've used Devrom, it seems to be hit or miss for most people so you might try that. I can't remember if the chlorophyll causes any vitamin issues but I don't think so.

I just know that eating chips can cause me to have some toxic BM's along with things like birthday cake. :)

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Valerie G.
on 6/2/18 2:44 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

First take account of what you're eating every day. There may be something causing gas that once eliminated can change your life. For me that was onions. I had no idea for two years and they were such a staple in my diet. The others are right - the probiotics will not fix a reaction to bad foods.

That being said, we are prone to bacterial imbalances (at least I am). I never saw much improvement with probiotic pills, but I'll tell you what - raw, unfiltered apple-cider vinegar makes overnight changes for me! It's cheap compared to the pills, and I only need a 1-2oz shot every few days. I know when I've waited too long, too by the sour aromas, and again - a shot will fix me up.

Other fermented foods to try are kefir, kumbacha, raw sauerkraut, pickles and of course yogurt.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

shorehon
on 6/2/18 3:49 pm

Thank you both for your input. I'm going to try the Primal Defense - AND start cutting down on the carbs!

Marquismark
on 7/31/18 7:43 pm
DS on 12/10/15

Diet is definitely critical, but my gas frequency and toxicity has improved 75% by using this:

NewRhythm Probiotics 50 Billion CFU 20 Strains

It's on Amazon. And it's cheap, too!

Good luck!

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views