Advice

HannahLLa
on 6/18/18 6:24 am

Hi Everyone.

1st time posting on here. Looking for some advice. I had RNY 4/29/14. I lost a total of 125 lbs. I am now dealing with a 45 lb regain. Has anyone done the DS? is it possible to get regain off? I am feeling so hopeless. I let my honeymoon phase get the best of me and now I'm struggling. Old habbits die hard & now I'm seeking helpl any advice would be great.

thanks!

Janet P.
on 6/18/18 9:28 am

You did great with your initial 125 pound loss. You mentioned a few things in your post that have prompted some questions from me before I attempt to answer some of your questions.

• What have you done to work through your regain with your RNY? I'm assuming you have some malabsorption with the RNY. Have you gone back to basics - high protein, low carb, lots of water?
  • Do you track what you eat?
  • Did you ever address the reasons you're struggling? Many work with a therapist to deal with the "head" issues that come with WLS - as you learned, they operated on your stomach not on your head. I did and for me personally it helped enormously.

There have been a number of revisions from RNY to DS that read this board. I also think there's a separate board for revisions.

Keep in mind it's a very complicated surgery and there are only a few surgeons in the country who can successfully perform that revision (I know that my surgeon, Dr. Hazem Elariny, has done the RNY to DS revision. Also you'll need to commit to lots of vitamins, labs once a year, sticking to a high protein diet, etc. -- all the things that come with the DS. Did you consider the DS when you chose your RNY? If you did consider it, what were the reasons you opted for the RNY and not the DS?

IMHO a revision should be your absolute last resort - after you've tried everything else and nothing worked.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Beam me up Scottie
on 6/18/18 9:36 pm
Hi Hannah,

I'm a big fan of the DS. However, some rebound is normal with every surgery. With the DS, we have found that about 10 to 20 percent is normal. (I rebounded about 20 lbs then lost it again).

I know 45 lbs sounds like a lot, but do not give up home. Before you think about revision-try going on to the forums and following some sound advice of the vets. Measure your food, cut out carbs, sugar, processed foods, etc. The weight can come off again.

Revisions are possible, but they are more complicated then a first time DS.

Scott
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views