DS Labs - HIGH Vitamin A Lvl

Snowbutterfly
on 8/13/18 9:48 pm

I had a sleeve to DS conversion May 2017. Struggled to lose every pound, long story short, Surgeon said my body "wanted to be fat".

Anywho.... had labs last week and my Vitamin A lvl came back high. I dont over take vitamins. In fact, i often forget my afternoon dose and due to financial issues, i hadnt taken my multi-adek vitamin in 2 wks prior to my labs. I know its common for DS patients to have low Vit A lvls but i cant find anything on HIGH lvls. Im curious, anyone know anything about this?

Janet P.
on 8/14/18 7:11 am

I've always had exceptionally low Vit A. Could it be a lab error? Might want to have it retested. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Snowbutterfly
on 8/14/18 8:43 am

From what I understand "low" is common. Thats why the result totally threw me off. I dont think its an error, only because i have symptoms of a high lvl. In fact, what prompted us doing my yearly labs in the first place was i was having some odd symptoms that dont fit into my chronic illnesses and we thought maybe a lvl was off. Researching high vit a symptoms and alot of them are in that list (bone pain, Ueremic puritis, light sensitivity etc..).

Thanks for the reply, im hoping someone can chime in and shed the light as well.

Valerie G.
on 8/19/18 9:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I believe A has to be drawn into opaque tubes to block all light. When they do mine, they even go so far as to turn off the lights as the blood enters the tube. Do you recall any of this when you had blood drawn? If not, then the results may be skewed.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 8/14/18 4:22 pm

High A is not at all common and I am doubting it is DS related. We are all about not absorbing enough, not too much. And you said you are not even taking all your vites. Are you eating a VERY high A diet?

Snowbutterfly
on 8/14/18 6:57 pm

Right, i agree....but even if its not due to the DS, I technically shouldnt have a high A lvl because i got the DS right?! And no, i dont eat a high A diet.

I guess what Im hoping for is someone who knows why or how i would be high in A despite having the DS?

Should i be worried that my DS surgery somehow was botched and thats why Im high in A (with really very little A vitamins/foods) and i never lost weight like other DS patients?

I honestly dont trust my seurgeon and refuse to see him. Im seeing a gastroenterologist next month for my unrelated chronic issues and plan to ask him, but i know there are SO many knowledgable people here who know about vitamins/absorption/mess ups so i thought id ask here in the mean time.

PattyL
on 8/14/18 10:40 pm, edited 8/14/18 3:41 pm

It should be close to impossible for a DSer. Did you have high levels before your DS?

And I hope they told you not to take anymore A. Honestly the most likely scenario is still a lab error. Yes, I know you have symptoms as well. It is so unlikely you should have it done again.

PeteA
on 8/15/18 6:18 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

This does point out one of the problems with a multi ADEK. It takes longer than 2 weeks to flush out fat soluble vitamins because of how they are stored in the body. Unlike B12 that you just excrete the extra you are going to have to coast on low A intake for at least a month or so before you might start seeing a difference. The problem is that if you don't take the multi you are missing the other vits as well.

I wish I had more for you than some general information on fat soluble vitamins. Hopefully a retest will show it down at least a little because of testing variations.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/18 3:11 pm
Snowbutterfly
on 8/15/18 7:36 pm

Lmao! If only i were that brave. Sad thing is that he turned out to be more right than im sure even he realized. I have a illness that causes my mast cells to go crazy... and for lack of a better explanation, the mast cells cause fat and fat cause mast cells (vicious cycle).... but HE didnt know that then.

Yes I think i will have to stop my multi-adek and do individual. So far i struggle with calcium, iron and D. Glad im good with something but i really liked the vitamins i got. I only had to take it 2 times a day and were reasonably priced. Im kinda pouting i cant use them anymore lol.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views