New DS

MissMaggie26
on 9/16/18 9:35 pm
DS on 09/10/18

Hey y'all!

I just got my DS on Monday the 10th, so tomorrow I'll be a week out. I'm still pretty sore in my belly but that's got to be from the all the rearranging they did, right?

So far, getting the water in is really hard. Pre-op, I was drinking at least 96oz per day. Everything smells and tastes different. I'm still not taking all my vitamins because I can't seem to get the full doses down without them trying to come back up.

Ant advice you might have for a very new DSer would be greatly appreciated!

Liz J.
on 9/17/18 8:08 am
DS on 11/29/16

Congrats!

As far a water goes just keep it close to you a sip every 15 minutes or so, you'll get more in during the next few weeks. Also remember you protein shakes count for liquid. Set a goals for each hour, if you can, 4 oz and when you are hitting that increase to say 6 oz and keep going.

For vitamins you can take 1/2 doses down, even 1/4, just try and get some down. Just like the water go slow and build up.

For being sore, that will improve every day. Walking really helps but not too much too fast, build up. See as trend? Start small, once you can hit the first goal pretty easy make it a little harder. I call them progressive goals, as you progress you move your goal.

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

PattyL
on 9/17/18 9:24 am

No worries! Just keep on drinking. Forget full doses of vites for a few days. Start with the multis and D and add one every day or so. Add the iron last because that's the one that usually causes the most problems.

Janet P.
on 9/17/18 10:05 am

You just had MAJOR surgeon. Of course you're sore.

Your surgeon should have sent you home with instructions. Your only concern is staying hydrated. You must sip sip sip. Try Desani water. When I had my DS Desani was the only water I could handle. Maybe it's the added minerals.

Don't worry about vitamins. Your surgeon should have instructed you about taking them - how, when, in what forms, etc. It will take you to at least a month out until you have a good handle on vitamins. Open the ones you can and mix in whatever you're eating (cottage cheese, apple sauce, etc.). The larger one should be cut in half until you can handle whole ones.

Just keep sipping.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

MissMaggie26
on 9/17/18 7:08 pm
DS on 09/10/18

I was complaining to my husband today that I don't feel any different/lighter. He reminded me that it's only been a week and I managed to lose 33 pounds in the two weeks preceding surgery and not notice that, either.

I don't actually own a scale because I'm heavier than what most scales max out at, so I don't really have an easy way to check if I've lost anything yet and my first follow-up isn't until October 4th, when I can go use the giant livestock scale at my surgeon's office (mostly kidding about the livestock thing).

I have about 300 pounds I need to lose before I hit the top of my "healthy range" BMI and I'm just worried that it's not going to happen. I'm sure I'll lose some, but if I went through all this just to lose 100 pounds and still be morbidly obese, I'd be devastated.

I've never been a patient woman and I'm just anxious to get to the 5-6 month point to see if this is going to work and start feeling normal again.

Janet P.
on 9/18/18 5:59 am
On September 18, 2018 at 2:08 AM Pacific Time, MissMaggie26 wrote:

I was complaining to my husband today that I don't feel any different/lighter. He reminded me that it's only been a week and I managed to lose 33 pounds in the two weeks preceding surgery and not notice that, either.

I don't actually own a scale because I'm heavier than what most scales max out at, so I don't really have an easy way to check if I've lost anything yet and my first follow-up isn't until October 4th, when I can go use the giant livestock scale at my surgeon's office (mostly kidding about the livestock thing).

I have about 300 pounds I need to lose before I hit the top of my "healthy range" BMI and I'm just worried that it's not going to happen. I'm sure I'll lose some, but if I went through all this just to lose 100 pounds and still be morbidly obese, I'd be devastated.

I've never been a patient woman and I'm just anxious to get to the 5-6 month point to see if this is going to work and start feeling normal again.

Miss Maggie - the hardest part of having the DS is finding patience. Remember you didn't get to your current weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight either. Just be diligent, follow the rules, and you'll do fine.

Here's a summary of my story to help put things into perspective. I had my DS just over 15 years ago (DS was still considered somewhat experimental). I was very diligent from day 1 and I lost 175 pounds in just over 15 months. I've maintained my weight loss this entire time (I hover around 155 most days and I'm 5'3"). I had my DS when I was about 45. I'm telling you this not so you'll compare yourself to me, but so that you'll know it's possible to reach goals.

Please just take it one day at a time. You can set goals, but make sure they are realistic for you. Don't compare yourself to anyone else.

Don't become obsessed with the scale right now. Your body needs time to adjust to its new insides (it takes several months). You'll have to learn how to eat all over again. It's a process.

Right now your most important focus needs to be staying hydrated. Did your doctor tell you when to start foods (pureed or soft)?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

MissMaggie26
on 9/18/18 6:34 am
DS on 09/10/18

Janet,

Thank you for providing me some perspective. My doc has me on full liquids until the 24th and then I can start soft/pureed foods.

TheWombat
on 9/21/18 6:12 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

It's perfectly normal not to lose any weight for the first week or ten days, because you're still full of the IV fluids they give you.

MarinaGirl
on 9/17/18 8:43 pm
On September 17, 2018 at 4:35 AM Pacific Time, MissMaggie26 wrote:

Hey y'all!

I just got my DS on Monday the 10th, so tomorrow I'll be a week out. I'm still pretty sore in my belly but that's got to be from the all the rearranging they did, right?

So far, getting the water in is really hard. Pre-op, I was drinking at least 96oz per day. Everything smells and tastes different. I'm still not taking all my vitamins because I can't seem to get the full doses down without them trying to come back up.

Ant advice you might have for a very new DSer would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats on your recent bariatric surgery! Did you have the standard of care DS (two anastomoses) or SADI/SIPS/Loop (one anastomosis)?

MissMaggie26
on 9/17/18 9:57 pm
DS on 09/10/18

Thanks Marina!

I have the standard DS.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?