Describe your Pain right after the sugery.....PLZ

mamigo
on 8/15/06 12:59 pm - Miami, FL
My bestfriend had the (RNY) sugery and she described her pain as "getting hit by a truck in the stomach". She also saiud that the more you weigh the less the pain is.....Would anyone agree with this? Please explain the pain you felt. XoXo, MeL
Ruth S.
on 8/15/06 1:13 pm - Orlando, FL
Everyone experiences pain differently. I know I was in pain cause my mom told me to use the demerol pump but I don't remember it too much...though Im sure I was totally uncomfortable. I didn't use any medications after I returned from the hospital..however months later when I had my gallbladder removed that was painful and I still remember it vividly and got meds. It is normal to feel that "truck in the stomach" feeling and it may last longer in some people than others - just have her get pain medications to help. Best of luck.
Vickie J
on 8/15/06 2:04 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I had my RNY done lap and the worst pain was the first night and 90% of that pain was from the trapped gas. I had pain in my chest & left shoulder that made me feel miserable so I used the Demerol pain pump regularly. By the next day I was only using the pump when I needed to move around or get out of bed to walk or potty. After the 2nd day I didn't use much pain meds and I didn't take anything for pain after I got home. Vickie J.
Tami H.
on 8/15/06 10:40 pm - Winter Park, FL
I agree, the worst pain is the first night. You don't remember alot because you are so doppy with the anesthesia and all. I remember saying "pain, pain, pain, nausea, nausea, nausea". By day two, I was walking and off the pump. Morphine made me nauseaous, so they went to demerol. This is why its good to have someone sleep in the room with youduring your stay, because you just don't know how you are going to feel and having someone in there with you is valuable and an extra pair of eyes. blessings, Tami
ANGIE L.
on 8/16/06 8:40 am - Quincy, FL
I had mine done lap. I didn't have a large incision. I didn't never have any pain. I used the PCA pump several times just to keep from getting in pain. After the first day I didn't need it anymore.
tmerlinr
on 8/16/06 9:29 am - St. Petersburg, FL
I had Lap RNY. They only gave me Lortab post op because my surgeon decided to use Dilaudid and not Morphine post op. The dilaudid did nothing at all for the pain. He said sometimes people have adverse reactions to it and never feel the pain go away. Of course, that's just my luck! The most pain I experienced was from the G-tube and of course when they took it out but other then that, it wasn't too bad. Good luck! Tricia
mamigo
on 8/16/06 11:28 am - Miami, FL
Thank you all Ladies! Your insight is priceless!!!! -MeL
LisaGee
on 8/16/06 11:52 am - Leesburg, FL
hit by a truck? No. I'm actually a big baby when it comes to pain. I had very little- it was mostly just an UNCOMFORTABLE feeling. The worst was day 3 when I had cramps but once I figured out it was my (.) I stopped freaking out and just grabbed an ice pack and dealt with it. RIGHT after surgery was fine- Torridal and Demerol pretty much whenever they asked me my pain was a 6 or 7- no big deal. If you ask my husband (big baby) you will get a MUCH different reply!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 283 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1326 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1331 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1470 views