First post-op visit...

Sallykate Losing
Weight

on 11/10/05 7:27 am - North, FL
Hi y'all! Monday was my two week anniversary and I had my first post-op appt. today at 2.5 weeks out. I have lost 27lbs. and am now on soft foods. I am nauseous all day everyday and my surgeon was a little worried about that but we are going to see if moving to soft foods from liquids might help. Other than that, I feel good. I am walking a mile a day...Yes mams I sure am!! A whole mile. I cannot believe it. I no longer have ANY edema (swelling) in my legs. BAM! it's gone. I am noticing some "thought" adjusting taking place as I go regarding food. I sometimes feel a little panic when I contemplate that this is FOREVER but quickly realize that that is a good thing not a sad thing. I look forward to getting past this nausea but I am happy that I am loser regardless. I hope all of you are happy and doing well, Sallykate
halfpint
on 11/10/05 9:48 am - Bonifay, FL
I hate to here your feeling bad. Just know that your in our prayers. Hope you get to feeling better. Crystal
KathyHarding
on 11/10/05 12:46 pm - Jacksonville, FL
SallyKate, Hi!!! Glad to hear that you are doing well except for the nausea. Hope that will pass soon! Wow! How great to be able to walk a mile a day! I can hardly stand for more than 3-5 minutes and forget about walking any distance. I can hardly wait until my turn comes and I can join you guys on the losing side. Keep up the good work! Kat
SimplyRedHead
on 11/10/05 4:43 pm - Longwood, FL
Kat, Your day will come and trust me, there will be a huge liberating feeling when you can stand, walk, hop, skip, frolick for more than a few minutes. I could not stand to even pump gas prior to surgery because the pain was hideous, walking from my car into the building at work took the breath out of me and required atleast one stop to rest my back. I had also reached an all-time low of using a scooter at Target and Walmart to shop which was humiliating for me, but necessary. Anyway, I promise you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel with WLS! Amy
Tami H.
on 11/10/05 11:33 pm - Winter Park, FL
27 lbs is fantastic! I too noticed the decrease in my leg swelling, and it has never returned. Got off my dieuretic medication from the get go too. How wonderful to hear you are walking, you won't regret moving early. The nausea will subside. Remember, anesthesia effects alot of things, and your body has gone through some major stuff! I've found these 5.5 months to be learning, and even today I am still learning what I can eat and what I cannot. ITs still an experiment. Someone asked me if I will have to watch what I eat my entire life. And I said yes, then later I thought, I've been watching what I eat almost my whole life anyway. The difference is now I have a tool for success! Anyway, hugs to you girlfriend, glad you are losing so well! Blessings, Tami
Sallykate Losing
Weight

on 11/15/05 2:38 pm - North, FL
"Someone asked me if I will have to watch what I eat my entire life. And I said yes, then later I thought, I've been watching what I eat almost my whole life anyway. The difference is now I have a tool for success!" I love it! Very good point. I'm still plugging away...thanx for the encouraging words chick! Hugs back, Sally
Jan Ocala
on 11/11/05 9:17 pm - Ocala, FL
One of the best things for me was the absense of edema in my feet and legs, so I could get OUT of the clog or slip on shoes and into some pretty ones!! As you notice your thoughts adjusting, please listen to those who are further out and believe us when we say to change your eating habits NOW and do NOT allow yourself to graze or snack!! And eat what you're supposed to because it will be so much harder later on! Congrats on a wonderful early start!!!! Jan
Sallykate Losing
Weight

on 11/15/05 2:36 pm - North, FL
"As you notice your thoughts adjusting, please listen to those who are further out and believe us when we say to change your eating habits NOW and do NOT allow yourself to graze or snack!! And eat what you're supposed to because it will be so much harder later on!" Great advice Jan! I tried to start changing my habits about 6 months ago... Actaully the whole family and I did. We cut out fast food completely and NEVER eat anymore. (I'm so proud of DH for this one) We knocked out sugar as well. My 12 y/o son lost 8 lbs doing this!! my 15 y/o lost 15 lbs! I thought that was amazing and just from eliminating sugar. I also upped my water. I have always been a water fanatic so that one was easy. I worked on portion control as well but faltered with that one. How did I know to do all of this?? From just what you said...listening to the old timers. (he he) It really has made my transition much easier I think. Thanx for the good advice. I love reading all the further out post-ops advice! Sally P.S thanx for the encouragement too!
C-There
on 11/15/05 7:49 am - Brevard County, FL
I am 5.5 weeks post op and I couldnt get in all my water or even half without being nauseous. I could take in some soft foods and protein. I did my first PO visit and all my numbers were good. My iron was a bit low on the normal range, but we are watching it still. I was nauseous EVERYday and the Doc suggested using the "Papaya Supplements" from GNC to help with the nausea. Everytime I ate, I chewed on 3 little tablets. Still had a hard time with the water intake, so Doc suggested that for one week I chew on 2 Pepcids in AM and then again in PM. It was about 7 days exactly before I was able to take in more water. Then approx. 1 more week and I am finally able to do more than just SIP my water. Keep your chin up.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 273 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1314 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1316 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1459 views