Florida, Medicaid and WLS

Cynt87
on 11/15/14 2:26 pm - Orlando, FL

Well I just discovered this site and it's seems pretry inviting. I'm basically trying to gather information on wLS. And I just need some help on where to start and hope maybe someone can point me in the right direction based on my information. Im interested in bariatric surgery of course. I'm 27 mother of 1 and I'm currently weighing in at 280 pds standing 5ft5, my BMI is 47. I had my son June 2013 and gained about 30 to 35 bring me to about 290 pound. I was able to drop about 10 pds while breast feeding. My PCP diagnosed me with hypothyroidism and pre diabetes back in January 2014 and put me on Synthroid. (I also had gestational diabetes when i was pregnant) however about about 6 weeks later she was shocked to discover I hadn't lost any weight. Might I add in that I was doing WeightW starting October 2013. Anyway she said to keep following WW and she would see me next year for my annual. Like that all she said after I poured my heart out because I seriously thought something was wrong. Anyway I had to quit WW in April of 2014 as I just couldn't afford it anymore. (My son was only 10 months and pampers were more important ) so I switched to the free cal counter fitnesspal and I've been off and on it ever since. So now I'm seriously looking at WSL to help me she'd some of these pounds. Im here in the central florida, Orlando area. So now that I have Medicaid I'm going to make an appointment with my new PCP and i wanted to know what to say to him to see if I'm a fit for WLS. What exactly is a medically supervised program? I see that's a requirement for insurance to cover the cost of surgery. I want to think my 6 months on WW counts but I may be wrong.  

Thanks for any and all feedback and suggestions. 

RizingPheonix
on 11/21/14 12:38 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 12/03/14

Hey there, don't give up!! I've been fighting to get the surgery and our local mcaid providers was changed to Humana. Hubby had the surgery oct 30th and I'm scheduled for Dec 3rd. We had our ducks in a row, so to say. Our PCP was extremely supportive and we started a physician supervised diet over 8 months ago, just getting ready for the insurance change and it paid off!!!  I called over 40 psychiatric providers looking for one who would do the psych eval for our medical clearance and stuck gold with one just up the street! Approval for came within a few days and  it took two weeks for mine. This is 10 years coming for us, we've been trying forever for this surgery!!! Please dont give up!!!

nanny69
on 12/9/14 4:40 am - pompano beach, FL

hi can you give me you wls doctors name please

Kdiva
on 12/15/14 5:05 am - Margate, FL

Your 6 months with WW will definitely count. When you meet with your new Pcp Inform him/Her that you're interested in wls. Ask him/her for a referral. You should already have one that accepts your insurance & to expedite time if possible go to a informational session so you know if they will suite your needs. I have Medicaid as well & had surgery 5/28/14. 

DS: 5/28/14

HW: 310

SW: 302

CW: 160 ( 1 year post-op) 160 lbs gone

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 285 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1328 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1332 views