Climbing the Mountain

AudLight
on 7/6/11 12:16 am - GA
I had my surgery a little over 6 months ago.  I have a crazy busy job so getting in regular exercise was not happening during the school year.  Now that it is summer time I have been about to get out and about a little more.  Last week I clilmbed Stone Mountain for the first time in 4 years.  It was tough, but I made it up.  Then on the way down I had a blast.  I was jumping from rock to rock and just marveling at what my "new" body could do.  I climbed it again this week and it was easier the second time.  For those of you in the Atlanta area, I highly recommend this activity.  I do have a few tips for you though.  First, drink a protein shake before you climb.  Pack a protein bar and stop on the way up for a quick bite.  Bring lots of water and make sure you drink it.  Eat more protein bar at the top and take your time cooling off before you head back down.  The first time I didnt pack a snack and I was really shaky at the top, taking the protein bar really helped.  Go with a friend who wont mind you having to take breaks, it is a steep mountain so pace yourself and just have fun.  It is $10 to get into the park for one day, or $35 for an annual pass.  That is per car so the more friends you take the cheaper it is per person.  I also recommend climbing in the morning or early afternoon as you climb the west side of the mountain and it just gets hotter as the day goes on.  I know this is random, but I really hate traditional work outs and I thought maybe some of you do as well.  This was fun, but definitely a big work out. 
   - Audrey

Nick E.
on 7/6/11 1:55 am - Duluth, GA
Congratulations on your WLS journey successes including your recent climb up Stone Mountain. It is amazing what joy we can receive just by simply walking and moving our bodies on a regular basis. Heres hoping we all have many more mountains to climb now that we have hopefully secured more time to enjoy our lives through WLS and a change in our lifestyles choices. If not now then when!!!!!!

rtptjd
on 7/6/11 9:08 pm - Atlanta, GA
Congratulations on the weight loss AND that climb! I have not had surgery yet, and when I tried to climb Stone Mtn. a couple months ago I only made it halfway up. So, I will make it a goal to attempt it again when I am on the loser's bench!
Congrats on a job well done.
CColeman
on 7/9/11 12:13 pm
Doesn't it feel just AWESOME to be able to accomplish things you never could before? Congratulations on your climb. Keep it up!

Nick E.
on 7/10/11 1:16 am - Duluth, GA
You inspired me to take on Stone Mountain myself yesterday and I put my Grandsons and Son to shame trying to keep up with me. I haven't felt this energetic in 30 years.

Most Active