Can someone tell me about Effector?

LW
on 7/10/05 4:31 am - (city), GA
I need some information about Effector or other similiar medications like it. How long do they normally take to get into your system. What is a good dose to start at? Since my WLS, I have begun to experience some major depression. I was not on meds for this before surgery. Would anyone be willing to share if they had a similiar experience after their surgery. This is new to me. I am going to my PCP tomorrow (if I can get an appointment) to be referred to a phychatrist if he can't help me. Right now, my PCP has started me on Lexapro, but so far it has not helped. I have been on it almost a week. I have never experienced depression at this level. Any suggestions would be helpful. I know that everyone is different. God bless you if you did not experience this. Also, how do you know if you have a good phychatrist (sp?). Please feel free to email me if you prefer. Thanks, LMW
LW
on 7/10/05 4:35 am - (city), GA
Does anyone personally know a good phychatrist in Cartersville, Kennesaw or Rome? I have heard the names Dr. Douglas Laipple or Dr. Pratt in Cartersville. Has anyone went to either of these--or perhaps know if there are any Christian phychatrists in the area?
INSURANCEMOMMY
on 7/10/05 5:11 am - locust grove, GA
actually - i think its called effexor and i have taken it before but i havent had surgery yet. it really helped with my depression but was a MAJOR bugger to come off of. decreased my sex drive but really helped me through a rough time in my life. as far as your phychiatrist - you must be comfortable with them. go with your gut. hope i helped. jb
LW
on 7/10/05 6:38 am - (city), GA
Yes, you are right. Sorry about the spelling. Thank you for your response. I was going to ask about this med since I have heard others say it worked for them. This is a rough time in my life right now--which I did not anticipate it being to this extent after WLS. Thanks for your advice.
Amanda Dutton MS,
LAPC

on 7/10/05 6:40 am - Gainesville, GA
L, You may need to give the Lexapro a little more time - most meds for depression take about 2 weeks to get in your system (although I know that is the toughest 2 weeks of your life - waiting on relief). I've been on Effexor since September and it has worked wonders for me. The first day or two is hard because it is getting into your system. You feel antsy and nauseous. After that, you will go for about two weeks without noticing significant difference, then suddenly you may hear yourself make a strange sound....laughing! Well, that is what it did for me - it kind of snuck up on me. I didn't feel all goofy/silly/funny like a was WAY too happy - I just feel GOOD. After I had my surgery, I switched from the Effexor XR (extended release) to regular Effexor (I take half of my dose twice a day). This is because the medicine is not in your new little tummy long enough to make the XR part of it work (I turned into quite a witch before I switched to the regular). Like others have said - coming off of it can be difficult (you have to ween off of it under your doctor's supervision) if you don't follow your doctor's plan to come off - if you even need to come off. One catch - there is no generic form of Effexor, so check to see if your insurance covers it and what your copay would be. Another possible medicine to ask about is Cerafim. It has a generic called Fluoxetine. My mom takes that and it seems to work well for her (she has not had WLS, though). Good luck to you! Amanda 266/186/147 (-80)
LW
on 7/10/05 1:10 pm - (city), GA
Thank you so much for your information. It has helped me to feel more informed regarding this. I appreciate it. Knowing other people have experienced this problem and got better, is encouraging also. Sincerely, LMW
LW
on 7/10/05 1:26 pm - (city), GA
Thank you for the information. It helps to hear all opinions when deciding to try something or not. I hope you get better soon. I guess it will take a while for this med to get completely out of your system. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!
muanmazy
on 7/11/05 7:57 am - Conyers, GA
I am currently on Effexor and can't go a day without it. I have tried other medications without success. Yes you do have almost no sex drive, but that is not an issue for me though it may be for others. I agree that it takes about 2-3 weeks to get into your system. You may want to ask your doctor for something that can help boost the Effexor. I am on Rimron for anxiety and depression. After two weeks if you don't feel any better they may have to go up on your dose. That happened to me. I will add that Effexor is a beast to get off of I did when I was pregnant with my son. I got back on after he was born. I know that if I miss a dose I start to get withdrawl symptoms. All in all I am happy with the result. I had to learn that anit-depressants are not a cure all. They are also a tool just like WLS. Will you still get depressed probably but doctors consider few and less intense bouts a success. You have you figure out what works for you. I saw that someone else mentioned that they had to come off of the time release after WLS, you may want to look into this too. Hope my two cents helps too.
afbrown
on 7/12/05 12:13 am - Duluth, GA
I've been on Effexor for a couple of years. The biggest issue I've had with it (other than finding the right dose!!), was switching to the "regular" pills from the capsules. Boy, the are NOT kidding about take with food. Right after surgery, I'd take it with my protein shakes and then get the dry heaves for an hour. That felt good - NOT!! I started mixing it with a little peanut butter and that was better. It still tasted awful, but at least it didn't make me sick. Once I got back on "regular" food I found that something like oatmeal, an egg, or peanut butter was the best to take it with. As with anything, sometimes it takes time to get the medicine going, and to find the right dosage. Work with your doctor on this. Give the Lexapro some time. At first, you should be going pretty often until you get the dosage right, then less often. Hang in there!! Ann in Duluth
Most Active