Really need some encouragement...

LeslieB
on 8/30/05 12:19 am - Olin, IA
It's been 19 days since my surgery and here I sit, pretty much stuck in my house watching daytime reruns. This pain that I have just will not go away. Angie says it's most likely a tight stitch that hasn't dissolved yet (I don't have any other symptoms and everything else has healed nicely) but there is absolutely nothing they can do about it. I have to put pressure on that spot (just below the incision that is left of my belly button) just to get up and down out of my recliner. I have been wearing a binder with an insert on that spot and it helps some but I still can't get out and walk. I've gone a few places with hubby but traveling in the car is excruciating unless I'm laying back all the way. I'm going a bit stir crazy here. I haven't really heard of other people having this problem and most of the people who had surgery when I did are out living their lives. Someone please tell me this too will pass. I can't even be a normal WLS patient and worry about not losing weight at this point. Right now I just want to get out of the house and walk. The most walking I can do now is going out to get the mail and maybe feed my horses an apple but then the pain starts again and I have to go and sit in my recliner. I can't even take a shower without my husband's help (yea, usually that would be a good thing but even sex is out of the question right now.) I knew I was a wuss about pain but this is crazy. The pain meds make me really sleepy but they don't even touch this sharp pain. I keep telling myself that I'm lucky that the pain isn't constant and that at least I sleep really well but a person can only watch so much daytime TV. ACK!!!! Ok...I vented/whined enough. Any suggestions??? Leslie
blazeia
on 8/30/05 12:58 am - Iowa Great Lakes Area, IA
Hi Leslie! Im so sorry to hear you are in pain. I wish I could take it away from you. I havent had surgery yet--i just had my consult yesterday. Have you lifted anything? when I went to my consult he mentioned not lifting anything over 5 lbs because they didnt want me to have a hernia. I think maybe you should call your surgeon and either get in to see him or see what he thinks.. hugs to you....i hope you are feeling better soon billie jo
DeeAnn
on 8/30/05 12:58 am - CLEARLAKE, IA
Leslie: Sorry to hear you're having problems You have talked to the Dr's office about this?? Would an ice pack or heating pad help ????? Hope you're feeling better soon, so you can start enjoying the weight loss, and get on with the business of life!!! Good luck!!!! DeeAnn R
LeslieB
on 8/30/05 1:14 am - Olin, IA
I just had my 2 week checkup last Thursday and we discussed the pain in length. She could see that I was in pain. She really thinks that Dr. G had to put a deep stitch in to prevent a hernia and that it just hasn't dissolved yet. She said that the only other thing it could be would be a pocket of fluid and there isn't anything you can do about that either but wait for it to dissipate. She said that if it wasn't gone in a few weeks that they could do a scan but she said it wasn't uncommon to have this pain (why haven't I read anything about it on these forums?) I have tried heat and ice with no change. Also the skin on this spot is extremely sensitive at times to the point where I can't even touch it. I haven't lifted anything heavy (not much chance for that since I still can't reach the floor without pain). I'm still using tongs to wipe and a pick up stick thingie for picking things up from the floor. Sigh..... Leslie
dixielee
on 8/30/05 2:22 am - Tripoli, IA
Leslie, You have my sympathy. If it is indeed what Angie described, it is common. That is what prevented me from going back to wor****il 3 weeks out. Mine was on the right side of the navel. I used heat even though it wasn't recommended. In my case it went away overnight but it took all of 3 weeks. One day I coudn't sit upright for more than a few minutes & the next I was just fine. However, in my opinion, I don't know if that is your problem. I hope you find relief soon or that they discover what the problem is and fix it. Hugs, Dixie
LeslieB
on 8/30/05 2:41 am - Olin, IA
Nice to see you got your picture up Dixie! Thank you for responding and it's good to know that I'm not the only one to have this pain. I am going to try and keep a positive outlook and hope that by some miracle this pain will miraculously disappear in a few days. I think I'm just feeling really down because tomorrow is my birthday (no, doesn't bother me that I'm going to be a year older) and I can't even get out of the house. Our 5th wedding anniversary was on the 12th, the day after my surgery so we didn't get to celebrate that either. Ok, just have to keep telling myself, it will all be worth it...... Leslie
sweetpea
on 8/30/05 6:05 am - Kingsley, IA
(((((BIG HUG)))))) sorry you are hurting leslie...I hope if it is a stitch it dissolves fast!!!!sorry I cant help ya>.I guess I was lucky and didnt have too much pain cant even call it that after the first night just discomfort,I took childrens pain meds even but they worked and it was suger free,lol Keep in touch..and anytime you need to vent...well you got the right place,we got to be good for something Lori 287/249/140
JRenee
on 8/30/05 8:38 am - northeast, IA
I, too, had this pain. Mine probably wasn't as bad. I had to return to work at 9 days out, and when my pain started- to even just walk around was terrible- the only way I could walk was to push in on my belly where the pain was. I used heating pads, tylenol, nothing seemed to help. Getting up out of a chair was the worst- and I do that at least 80 times a day - no exaggeration. I was sure that there was something wrong. Kept having my blood checked and everything was normal, and then one day (actually the day AFTER I called Angie to complain about it) - it just went away. One day terrible, the next day completely gone. It will go away, it just doesn't feel like it right now. By the way, I am 6 1/2 months out and just 25 pounds from goal - it is all worth it! J.
LeslieB
on 8/30/05 9:29 am - Olin, IA
J..thank you, you and Dixie give me hope that I can expect this pain to go away soon. Your pain does sound exactly like mine. I guess I should just be glad that I don't have to go back to work, huh? I don't think I could do it. I just feel like such an invalid right now....walking around holding onto my stomach... I just took some apples out to the horses so I could get a little fresh air and exercise. Leslie 306.5/271/healthy
NanC
on 8/30/05 9:25 am - North Liberty, IA
Leslie, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW! I can tell you are feeling discouraged and I wish I could erase that for you! I will say a prayer that that magic day when the pain just disapears, like it did for some of the folks that responded, is just around the corner. Hang in there and keep your chin up! - Nan
Most Active
Recent Topics