VSG Surgeon near Chicago?

Nicolle
on 5/19/15 12:33 pm

Hi, everyone! I used to be on OH often a few years ago. I had the DS 7 years ago, lost and kept off 190 pounds and eat pretty much everything I want. I am still a big proponent of that particular surgery (and surgeon, but he is in California), but I know it is not for everyone.

In fact, I have been talking to a neighbor (in Chicago) about the VSG, which I think might be a better fit for her.  To help her, I wanted to ask for your recommendations on a Chicago-area VSG surgeon who has many satisfied patients with long-term success (3+ years of keeping the excess weight off). One who offers good aftercare and support groups would be ideal.

A friend's adult son had a VSG with Dr. Guske, but he is still just 18 months out, so they are reluctant to give a thumbs up quite yet, although they have been very happy so far.

If you could give me some guidance, I would appreciate it!

Thanks, 

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

LisaTucker
on 5/20/15 6:45 am - IL

Hi Nicole,

Has it been 7 years for you? Wow, where has time gone. I would still say that Dr. Guske and the Kane Center is still one of the best. Tell your friend to go to one of their info meetings and talk to them.

Lisa

Nicolle
on 5/20/15 8:34 am

Thanks, Lisa! I will. Yes, 7 years--I usually forget that I have had bariatric surgery most days. I am still very grateful for this second chance at life, but the how and whys of it are slipping away to just an event in my past.

Best of luck to you!

Nicolle 

Watson
on 5/20/15 10:23 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with

Hi Nicolle,

Wow 7 years ago! In about 2.5 weeks from now it'll be 5 years ago since I had the VSG. I had the VSG done by Dr. Alexander P. Nagle at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and I'm doing great. He's really good, he takes time into your care, needs, health, concerns, etc.... I had an appointment with him the other day and I told him what's going on with me and he checked me out and he told me that I have a hernia and he set me up a surgery date so he can do the repair. You can tell your friend about Dr. Nagle and check out his profile if your friend read his profile. I'm satisfied with him and his team.

Hope this helps you and your friend out some.

Highest Weight: 565 pounds (around 1999), Highest BMI: 94

Pre-op Weight: 476.40 pounds (2 weeks before {05/25/2010} VSG surgery), Pre-op BMI: 79.3

Lowest Weight: 153.5 pounds (as of 07/10/2013), Lowest BMI: 25.5

Current Weight: 350.75546 pounds (351 lb 0 oz./159.1 kilograms (as of 04/22/2019), Current BMI: 58.3

Nicolle
on 5/20/15 11:08 am

Thanks so much for the info--glad to hear you are doing well! Before my DS. I met with Dr. Nagle regarding the RNY (before I knew about the DS) and he assured me that I would lose all of my excess weight with the RNY but gain half of it back within a few years and that my diabetes would return. I truly appreciated his honesty...definitely influenced my decision. I will have my neighbor check him out.

Take care,

Nicolle

Watson
on 5/20/15 3:27 pm
VSG on 06/08/10 with

You're welcome--Thank you! I was in a some of a same way as you were, at that point I narrowed down to the Lap Band and one other to choose from and at that time I think that Dr. Nagle wanted to do the RNY on me, but I gave him a surgery report from a surgery that I had done and 2 years before (hernia surgery) and from that surgery report Dr. Nagle went with the VSG surgery on me and it's the best thing for me, but some of that weight did come back on in which is my fault, now I'm working on it to take off that weight that I've put on, sorry to hear that you gained half of that weight back and about you diabetes. As I am with Dr. Nagle and his honesty and the decision. Cool.

I will, you too take care.

Highest Weight: 565 pounds (around 1999), Highest BMI: 94

Pre-op Weight: 476.40 pounds (2 weeks before {05/25/2010} VSG surgery), Pre-op BMI: 79.3

Lowest Weight: 153.5 pounds (as of 07/10/2013), Lowest BMI: 25.5

Current Weight: 350.75546 pounds (351 lb 0 oz./159.1 kilograms (as of 04/22/2019), Current BMI: 58.3

Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1061 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5588 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5332 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5360 views
Thursday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5392 views