my leg feels funny!

Brooke G.
on 12/26/04 12:50 am - IN
So there is this muscle on my right thigh that feels funny. Sometimes it feels numb and sometimes it feels hot and last night I woke up and it burned like crazy! It felt numb sometimes before, but never burning... anyone else have this feeling? Thanks Brooke
(deactivated member)
on 12/26/04 2:41 am - chicago, IL
Please call your surgeon ASAP! I was told that I should watch out for pain, redness and/or a burning sensation in my legs. It could possibly be a bloodclot. Symptoms of a DVT When a clot forms, it can either partially or totally block the blood flow in that vein. Symptoms of a DVT can include: swelling of the leg warmth and redness of the leg pain that is noticeable, or worse when standing or walking These are not always a sign of a DVT, but anyone who experiences them should contact a doctor immediately. Got that info from: http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/mosby_factsheets/Deep_Vein_Thrombosis.html Good luck!
Sassy Cathy
on 12/26/04 3:40 am - Staunton, IL
I'm with Deb and Anonymous ... CALL the doc now! Or have you already? LET US KNOW!!!!!
Gypsy Blossom
on 12/27/04 12:53 am - Chicago, IL
Brooke, I had that too.. is it on the outside of your thigh? Like down from your hip? Mine was and I totally freaked.. I was worried it was a DVT so I called the Dr. on call.. turned out it was a common side effect. It's like that spot on my leg fell asleep.. and it's just a temporary neuropathy.. they told me it goes away as I lose weight. Mine doesn't bother me much at all anymore... unless I sleep on it or lay on it wrong (it's like a pinched nerve or something).. I hope everything turned out okay! Stef
Brooke G.
on 12/27/04 3:51 am - IN
yeah I think you are exactly right! Sometimes I forget about it and then sometimes I will be almost a sleep and it will feel like it's burning!! I'm glad to hear it goes away!! Thank you!! Brooke
Colleen S.
on 12/27/04 7:09 pm - Schaumburg, IL
It is called meralgia parasthetica and it happenss a lot to folks with or without this surgery when a tiny nerve gets compressed as it comes out of the pelvic bone and thru the groin (inner thigh) area and wraps arond the entire outer thigh down around your kneecap. The reason it affects a lot of bypas people is unknown but likely due to how they strap us to the table and then we are on our backs recovering with that nerve being compromised. it is largely temporary tho sme folks may have problems with it for several months. I have had it since age 14 or so (gymnastics balance beam injury, yeah the ouchiest way you can envision!) and it would get worse with extra weight pressing on that nerve or whenever I'd be stuck in bed for several days or weeks. there is no easy repair for it because that nerve has so many offshoots and rarely grows the same way in 2 differen people once it passes thru the pelvic bone, but I have had great success over the years with cold compresses and ice packs for the worst flare-ups (the fiery sciatica kind of pain) just feel around and try to find where the hot spots are. there should be one or two spots in the inner thigh or on the outer leg that feel hot to the touch and put a cool cloth or ice pack on them briefly. that often helpled me as did rubbing/massaging the outer thigh where the nerve was twinging. Mine acted up a few months after the bypass then nothing from it until 2 months ago when my pregnant belly pressed on my groin area again and ahs made it flare up nightly. Only 4 more weeks to go then hopefully it won't act up again for me for a long time. look up meralgia parasthetica in google or dogpile searches to see if this sounds like what is going on but it sounds exactly like it to me as I spent $10,000 and 10 years of physical therapy and on neurologists til I had a name for my pain. When it gets disabling for people who have already lost weight and still have the nerve flare up they actually cut the nerve but then it just stays numb but without pain. all my life I have gotten used to not feeling more than pressure but no finger touch on my outer hip to kneecaps. it can be a bit weird when hubby puts his hand on my leg and I don't notice right away then I still have to remind him I can't feel a light touch there at all. Colleen
Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1073 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5601 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5343 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5371 views
Thursday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5407 views