HIP Plus

doriankaysibray
on 8/29/16 8:02 am

Hello! 

I have just started pursuing bariatric surgery. I've been overweight my whole life, childhood and adulthood. I've tried all the diets and tried all the things to lose weight and it just consistently hasn't worked for me... not unlike many/most of you, I'm sure.

I've seen a few posts of people who didn't have to go through the 6 months of supervised weight loss. I'm wondering if this is a HIP Plus requirement or if it is facility to facility?

Does anyone have any information on that? Do you know if St. Vincent requires it and IU Health does not? 

Thanks so much for taking the time to pass on the information!! Thanks so much!

tattitude
on 8/31/16 9:42 pm

For the most part, the requirements you will have to meet such as 6 month medically supervised diet program, are required in order for your insurance carrier to cover the surgery.   As far as St. Vincent's Carmel, they go along with whatever your insurance will approve.   They do have some pre-requisites on their side (must attend support groups, psych. evaluation, etc.)

Have you attended an informational seminar?  I would suggest that would be a great place to start.  You may have to call the Bariatric Center or go to their website to find out where and when there will be one in your area.

Ticker 87883

Height:  5' 8"  Initial Consultation:  10/6/2015  HW:  286.5   CW:  277

Most Active
Recent Topics