blue cross blue shield of ks "blue choice"

my4sons
on 2/11/08 2:27 am - Wichita, KS
I am having trouble getting a response from our insurance company as to wether or not they cover wls and if so what kind, what exclusion policies they have, etc.  Does anyone here have bcbsks "blue choice"--ppo that can tell me what they have discovered?  good or bad? Your input is greatly appreciated!
mjt
on 2/11/08 9:56 am
We have blue cross blue shield with our school district.  I didn't pay a thing.  Tallgrass didn't even submit as they know they pay nothing.  There was a man that went in front of the legislature, you might have seen about this.  Boy I think it stinks.
my4sons
on 2/11/08 10:30 am - Wichita, KS
Hi.  I just want to clarify...you said "I" didnt pay a thing...but then u mentioned they didnt even submit because they knew bcbs doesnt pay.  Are u saying you had to pay it all out of pocket and they (insurance) didnt pay a thing?  Unfortunately thats what I gather, but I'm hoping...fingers crossed...that I am misunderstanding u.  :)
packleader
on 2/11/08 11:10 am - Topeka, KS
BCBS of Kansas does not cover weight loss surgery, sorry.   

Miss_J
on 2/16/08 5:54 pm
Well I have bcbs of ks but it is federal.  They cover  wls but not wl drugs. My insurance is also a ppo.  Your best bet is call the number on the back of your card to get all the answers you need, that would be your best bet.  I hope that helped and good luck.
Miss_J
mmeyerssr
on 2/17/08 9:33 am - Ozawkie, KS
They will cover nothing. I have this insurance through my wifes work. Pretty much all Kansas insurance excludes wls. The folks with BC/BS that do get covered do not have bc/bs of Kansas. They likely are federal employees or work for companies like Boeing not head quartered in Kansas. Sorry I know this is not what to wanted to here.
Sondra
on 2/23/08 4:35 am - Germany
Hello All, I also have BCBS (federal and also located in Europe).  I have my 1st appointment the end of next month and the Dr. office says they will assist with preparing all of the paperwork for BCBS. They do require that I sign a disclosure to pay but my concern is will I have any issues with BCBS paying for bill?  I saw where someone stated they will not cover post-op meds; after reviewing my packet I didn't see anything stating specifics about GBP (WLS). Any pre information that anyone can share will be appreciated. Sondra
crydavis
on 3/3/08 9:32 am
Yep,  others who have replied are right.  BCBS of Kansas has a specific exclusion for any weight loss surgery.  Self-pay is a huge investment, but I still think that it is very much worth it.  I went through surgeryloans.com for financing.  I was also able to take a deduction for medical expenses this year on my taxes.  I also think that being self-pay makes a person even more determined to do EXACTLY what the doctors recommend.  Not that you wouldn't anyway, but knowing that any extra procedures would come out of your pocket, it just keeps a girl honest, you know?!      Tallgrass in Topeka had the best price for self-pay lapband.  All total, my procedure cost me $12,500 and that includes 2 years of follow-up care.  Good luck!

Crystal

Most Active
Recent Topics
SUPPORT GROUPS
KansasPrincess · 1 replies · 6477 views
Insurance Help.
tj91116 · 1 replies · 6386 views
Who is your primary doctor?
kw0299 · 8 replies · 7838 views
UHC Community Plan (KS Medicaid)?
kw0299 · 0 replies · 6873 views