NSAIDS Question

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/07 1:32 am - Elizabethtown, KY
I have been told several times after my rny that I am not supposed to take nsaids. A week before my rny (3/24/05) I had a vena cava filter (or greenfield filter) put in. Its in there for life. The dr hit a nerve and it would act up some not often. Maybe every 6 or 8 months. It didn't bother me alot. Then we had our car accident 10/8/06 and the nerve in my hip was hurting all the time. U can't take Tylenol for inflammatory pains. It doesn't work. That rub on cream doesn't work for me. I'd take Ibprophen and put a heating pad on it to get relief. Since my rny I've also taken protonix 40mg every morning to prevent ulcers in the old stomach. Ok, in the last 6 weeks I've been told I have acid reflux. I also gained 30 pounds in the last few months but have lost 8 since last Tues. (I've cut out snacking, sweets, caffiene, and am eating some sort of meat -chicken, turkey, fish,-baked, grilled, or roasted 3 times a day and have gone back to my protein shakes). My question is or what I'm concerned over is that I've recently read somewhere or heard that NSAIDS Ibprophen, aspirin if taken alot can "eat" a hole in your pouch. If this is true could this be why I'm having acid reflux now when I've never had a problem with it? I had a upper GI done last Friday for my pcp but I couldn't chug all that white crap and it didn't work. I have since then made an appt with my gastric bypass surgeon who is going to have me do a upper GI at a hospital that deals with gastric bypass patients on a regular basis and he's going to scope me. What does scope me mean?  Ange
RJOLLY1967
on 8/26/07 5:13 am - KY
A MAN I KNOW TOOK NSAISDS & it did make him real sick dnt know about the hole in pouch but I know he was in the hospt for a week or so it scared me so I make sure I dnt take anything like that I take tylone that is all ,a scop is where they go dwn the throat & look at you pouch I have herd it does not hurt hope not any how ,good luck  OH LOVE THE NEW PIC

B J 

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/07 5:35 am - Elizabethtown, KY
Thanks!!!
brdttd4
on 8/26/07 6:46 am, edited 8/26/07 6:46 am - mount vernon, KY
To be scoped is to have the camera ran down your throat so they can visualize the pouch.  So they will be able to see if you are having ulcerations in your pouch.  Also check with your surgeon but i was told to only take Advil liquid caps.

swmb
on 8/28/07 5:35 am - KY
The scope is another term for upper GI.  My doctor said to only take the liquid advil or the advil gel caps because they don't stay in your pouch long enough to cause an ulceration.
Most Active
Recent Topics
ARH Hazard and Dr Kabir Mehta
Erica A. · 0 replies · 122 views
Dr. Ravi Alapati
cpinckard63 · 0 replies · 1330 views
Paducah, Ky
devonnec · 0 replies · 5135 views