Bowel problems????

Angela K.
on 10/14/07 1:11 pm, edited 10/14/07 1:22 pm - Grayson, KY
I went to the dr. last week because of he consistant pain on my right side.  It hurt towards the bottom of my ribs down.  I couldn't hardly get out of the bed.  Well, she took x-rays and said that I was impacted and gave me mirilax (not spelled correctly) Anyway, I have been taking it but my movements are not normal.  And, I can't seem to get  rid of these pains. I am worried.  First, is this common?   What could be blocking that area?  Am I mistaken in that the roux-en-y surgery has left me with a pocket where it can accumulate?  My GP didn't say anything about where I was impacted but I took it that it was in the part of the colon that wasn't being used?  Am I wrong?  Let me know !!  Thanks.  Oh, if there are any Dr's visiting this post, please give your opinion on what I need to do??????
~Joy~ .
on 10/14/07 3:44 pm - KY

When worried call and get an appt with your surgeon first. I am pre op and no pro but researched for years now...   I do know constipation sometimes severe(impaction) is common after RNY.  Up your water and  fiber and add a stool softner in your daily routine.  Exercise if you arent. You will hurt until all thats impacted works its way out.  As for a pocket, never heard of it. And... The colon isnt touched in WLS Goodluck 

Just a lil note to warn all pre and post ops. GET YOUR PROTEIN IN EVERYDAY!!!  I have done rather crappy with mine since day 1 and I am paying dearly with VERY slow weight loss, major hair loss, and all out feelin like shit!  PLEASE!!!!  Follow your program's rules!!

PhatLadySings
on 10/15/07 12:25 am - Louisville, KY
If you're still in pain and feel like you're having trouble, please call your surgeon and get a second opinion.  I had a lot of bowel problems (still do if I'm not careful) after surgery and have to take a daily regimine of colace. I live on freaking colace! Hey what ever works, right? The PP is right though; make sure you get plenty of water, fiber, and exercise. This will help you tremendously!  But, make sure you call that surgeon to make sure it's not serious! Good luck-- Dee

Vicki Browning
on 10/15/07 2:14 am - IN
Dont think you are alone with this problem.  I am a lap band patient and I have the problem too and I use colace everyday also.   I would be in so much pain I would cry.   However the first time I was in real pain I called my dr. and come to find out I had a bowel obstruction and can only be detected by a cat scan and they had to go in and fix the obstruction.  So if the colace and etc do not help you might want to call you surgeon .   Good luck
Chris N.
on 10/15/07 9:44 am
Hi Angela, I'd definitely give your surgeon a call.  Who knows your insides better than he does, right?  And since we do have an altered anatomy now, personally, I'd feel more comfortable with the surgeon following up on abdominal pain.  He'd have more experience on what it could be and how to treat it.   Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon. 

~*Chris*~

When one door of happiness closes, another opens:
but often we look so long at the closed door that
we do not see the one which has been opened for us.

Helen Keller

vickie R.
on 10/16/07 1:35 am - danville, KY

Hi Angela....................i have to take Miralax and benefiber daily. I to had so many problems with my bowels and the pain. I was referred to a gastro doc that just found out what is wrong with my bowels. I have also had impacted bowels and 10 blockages and 3 surgeries to correct the blockages. When i was in the pain you describe i had adheshions wrapped around my intestines and it was only found through laporscopic surgery. But now i have been told i have blind loop syndrome from my bypass. See the bowels get kinked and cause me pain and then i have to just pull my knees up and wait for them to come ondone. I do take librax for this pain. I have had a full blockage that made me throw up everything. My advice is dont wait along time because without the proper blood flow your intestines can die and have to be removed. But just do some research and you find alot about blind loop syndrome,if that is what is causing your pain.                                                                                                                   You take care                                                                                                                             Vickie

Lisar91570
on 10/17/07 1:28 am - AMELIA, OH

This exact same thing has happened to me twice. Listen for the initial cleaning out…doesn't that sound nice. I bought Fleets Phospho-soda Oral Saline Laxative.this will clean you out 15min after you drink it. Warning the stuff is just nasty as hell! But it works!

Because the Miralax will NOT get all that mess out of there. After that I take miralax every morning and have been regular now for the past two months. If the pain continues which it did on me I started taking Pepcid OT because I believe I may have an ulcer or acid reflux anyway taking this daily has made the pain stop.

Good luck!

Lisa

Most Active
Recent Topics
ARH Hazard and Dr Kabir Mehta
Erica A. · 0 replies · 122 views
Dr. Ravi Alapati
cpinckard63 · 0 replies · 1331 views
Paducah, Ky
devonnec · 0 replies · 5136 views