Help!

TracyMixon
on 11/6/06 5:43 pm
I am asking for anyone who might share my problem. I have gas and constapation quite frequently. I had RNY June 2003, then a complete hysterectomy, and tummy tuck in Jan. 06. I am on Cymbalta which one of the side effects is constipation. My Family Doctor put me on Amitiza for the constapation. I take it twice a day, plus eat fiber one and take a stool softener. I suffer with the pain quite a bit and can't quite pinpoint what I am eating to add to my misery. I cut out the obvious things. Don't really know what else to do. Does anyone have a similar situation? I have lost around 100 lbs and have been hovering within the same 10 for a couple of years now. Still weigh around 200. The cymbalta is very important because I have tried to get off anti-depressants and was not a very happy camper. I am on a 90 mg. because most of my life I have taken some kind of anti-depressant. I also take thyroid, blood pressure meds and estrogen. Wish I could have a nice roto rooter clean out. I bought flax seed but it is so full of fat I am afraid to try it. Someone (non surgery person) said it is good to sweep your colon. Any help would be appreciated. Tracy
New Orleans Lady
on 11/7/06 7:52 pm - New Orleans, LA
I have heard a lot of people on this site use flax seed with success. I have never tried. I suffered from constipation for the first time in my life after my WLS surgery. It was so painful so I feel for you. The only thing that has worked for me is Milk of Magnesia. I take it about once a week. Early on I took it about once every 2-3 days right before I went to bed. Hope you get relief. NOTHING more miserable!
bellybypass
on 11/8/06 8:09 pm - watson, LA
hi tracy, what about switching to another anti-depressent,or drink lots of water? water usually helps tremendous amount, hope you have results soon... rhonda s.
LindaDLA
on 11/11/06 7:57 am - Metairie, LA
I too have had problems with constipation. I use a prescription called Miralax. You mix it in liquid. I put a scoop of it in my coffee every morning. I hopeI never have to do without it. My mother puts it in orange juice. I was in the hospital in March with diverticulitis and want to avoid constipation (which as we all know is miserable). You might want to ask your doctor for it. It works.
Most Active