Is hair loss a side effect of having the lap-band?

Stephanie M.
on 7/27/13 2:03 am
My hair loss was bad after my Lapband surgery...didn't experience any loss after gallbladder surgery in 2012 and now after a 3+ hour band and scar tissue removal, it's falling out again....but that's ok. I'm just relieved to have that thing out of me .

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

pineview01
on 7/27/13 6:30 am - Davison, MI

I hear ya, I was in so much pain hair loss was the less of my worries.  And I didn't have it near as bad as you.  I never noticed any more than normal with my foot surgeries which were very short.

It is normal to have 20% hair follicles losing hair at any given time anyway.  I just think those with very long or thick hair really notice the handfuls coming out at a time and those with very thin hair can see the lose.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

betorah
on 12/7/07 8:57 am - West Hartford, CT
I started taking biotin five days after surgery.  My hair loss started about 3 months out and seems to have really slowed down at this point. Weight loss typically occurs between 3 and 6 months out.  The hair does grow back.  If you're going to take biotin (which is sold in the nail care aisle as Appearax) start taking it right after surgery because it takes 3 to 6 months to work.  Protein versus anesthesia -- my Mom had 3 surgeries in less than two months in the spring and she experienced notable hair loss.  As for the sleeve being different in this regard -- I think all the weight loss surgeries have this as a possible side effect.

sistaqueen
on 12/7/07 9:48 am - Brookhaven, PA
I personally have not noticed any hair loss since having surgery. I make sure to try to get in all of my protein, so maybe that is what helps, I'm not sure.  I never took the Biotin, so maybe this happens to some people. I also noticed that my nails have been growing really long as well. Right now I have Kinky twist in my hair, because of going to the gym and nothing was really holding. I guess when I take them out I will really have a better idea since actually I am a little over 3 months out. Good Luck
Donna H.
The "tool" will work if I work the "tool"!

318/299/279/250/170- highest/pre-op/ post-op/current/goal

asmallerjen
on 12/7/07 10:11 am - Kingston, NY
I did have some hair loss issues, but it has stopped it lasted about 2.5 months, and it freaked me out b/c I was not expecting it--thought that was only something that RNY'ers experienced. But I do think it was a side effect of the anesthesia for me. I have fine hair and was worried that it would be very noticable--but really the end result is not bad at all. As a matter of fact my hair stylist who I saw a few days ago said that she didn't notice any difference!
Pre-surgery     day of surgery      current      goal
       257                      254                174         145

[url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][img]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/7/9642/79642.png[/img][/url] Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free [url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com]Calorie Counter[/url]
Magpie74
on 12/7/07 10:43 am - NC
Yup, it was/is for me. It started about 2 months ago or so. I started concentrating on getting that protein in every day and also started taking Biotin. It seems to be stopping. When I went to the hairdresser recently she said i had new "sprouties" coming in, so that's good news.
-Maggie- A "STUCK" episode is kinda like the big "O". If you have to ask, you probably didn't have one.
No dramaBanded 4/4/07 
322/209/170  - 113 lbs.
Start/Current/Goal
(deactivated member)
on 12/7/07 11:10 am - AZ
Yes. According to OH magazine it typically happens between months 4-10.  Mine was months 4-11.  I lost about half my hair. You can try Biotin, Protein, iron, the works.  It isn't going to help.  Everyone has their own cure or remedy but the truth is, it will fall out if it is going to fall out and it will grow back when it grows back. I stopped losing hair when I met goal and quit losing.
lianna
on 12/7/07 12:03 pm - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with
I didnt have it, but it can be the side effect of ANY surgery that involves anesthesia..

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/07 12:16 pm - AZ
Very true!
John T.
on 12/7/07 12:24 pm - Highlands Ranch, CO
Band patients dont have as much a problem with this as RNY.... make sure you get your 60G of protien a day...i also take biotin which helps

John T banded 8/29/07  high/surgury/current/goal  =  360/346/187/174  

Most Active