Is hair loss a side effect of having the lap-band?

sneill
on 6/14/08 5:05 pm - waco, TX
In looking for info about hair loss I found your post from Dec.  I am having a lot of hair loss and I see you say it took two years to get back to normal, but my question is how long did it fall out?  I can see taking a while to grow back since hair only grows about half an inch a month on average.

vixxen36
on 6/20/08 12:45 pm - Anoka, MN
It fell out for a long time, at least 6months I wouls say, b ut it did grow back,
hopeinarizona
on 7/23/09 12:13 am
Yep. and I started the Biotin right after surgery too and also take my Omega 3s daily. At about 3.5 months out, it really started coming out. My hairdresser says it's because of anesthesia and it will stop. She has already seen new growth, so that's good. It is very distressing though.

MissJeannie
on 7/23/09 3:14 am - OH
Mine started falling out and breaking off in March which was about 4 months out. I'm still having problems. Docs recommended Biotin and make sure I'm getting my protein in. Hope it helps but so far it's still coming out.

Buy a wig, they can be fun!
Highest Weight:                      279  Info Session Weight:                       272

Day of Surgery Weight:                          260  Goal Weight:                                 180

Current Weight:                                    201

jojoplus2
on 7/23/09 3:48 am - MN
I lost some hair too shortly after surgery, however, I've always attributed that to the anesthesia from the surgery. My hair grew back to normal in no time.

Jojoplus 2 aka Joanie
Total unfil 8-19-10 -4.6ccs
Refill 8-30-10 to 2.5ccs
2nd Refill 9-20-10 to 3.55ccs

lucy10
on 11/24/09 2:58 pm - Kiev, Ukraine
Yes, hair loss is a side-effect of lap band surgery. There are many reasons which are responsible for this. Somewhere i read about this and i found this is due to potein deficiency due to weight loss.

Here you get the possible reason for this and solution

http://www.lapbandsurgeryfaq.com/questiondetail.php?question id=122&pg=possibilities_of_hair_loss_after_lap_band_surgery?
LoveIyLady
on 5/22/10 2:11 pm, edited 5/22/10 2:12 pm
My long gorgeous curly hair came out in handfuls............
@ month 3

I had to have my hair cut off within 1/2 inch of my scalp.  I took Biotin, protein, every vitamin invented...used rogain....finally bought a wig.

It's been stressful, depressing and so very sad as I get comments that my long naturally curly hair is gone.
Debbido
on 6/5/10 5:33 pm - Suisun City, CA
 I had very thick long hair also.  I had lap band surgery in November and my hair started falling out about five months after surgery.  I have found that super silica, 15 drops in my water in the morning and 15 at night has stopped the hair loss.  I'll just be glad when it comes back.  You might want to give it a shot.  My hair was coming out by the handfuls but I'm also making sure that I am getting enough protein.  Pure protein makes some protein bars that have 20 grams of protein and around 200 calories and very low sugar.  They actually taste really good. They are great if I don't have time for breakfast or lunch.  I've also been using them with my dinner meal usually half of one to make sure I get the protein I need.  Good luck to you.  Every one has told me that the hair will come back, I hope it does soon.
Dzkitty
on 8/21/10 7:44 am - Colorado Springs, CO
I keep reading about hair loss but does it come back? And if so when? I am 4 months post op and mhy hair has starting falling out I tell my hubby I am going to be the bald thinner girl soon!

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/11 7:28 pm
little exercise can prevent hair loss. you can try with something simole like jogging or going to the gym :)

Good Luck!
Most Active