How do you get 50-60 grams of protein per day???

Normak
on 1/28/08 1:19 am
Chili is a good idea.  i like the soup idea as well.

gottaluvave
on 1/26/08 12:31 am - Dallas, TX
On January 26, 2008 at 8:11 AM Pacific Time, taw1975 wrote:
Here's a typical day of how I get my protien...and I'm always over the 50-60 grams.  Most days a skinny latte from Starbucks to start the day--Venti Hazelnut Skinny Latte--15 grams of protien Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs w/ 1 T. non-fat milk--13.6 grams of protien Oscar Mayer Ready to Serve Canadian Bacon--9 grams of protien Lunch:  Taco Bell Taco--8 grams of protien Pintos and Cheese--9 grams of protien Snack: (usually on the way home) 1 piece of string cheese--7 grams of protien Dinner:  1 piece of tilapia--22 grams of protien Protien is always easy for me to get if I remember to start with it first.  Hope this helps.   I also eat a lot of chili which is high in protien, low in fat. Tonya
there are 15 grams in a skinny latte from Starbys?   Ooooh, then I am doing better than I thought!

Start Weight:   256
Surgery Weight: 248
Lowest Weight: 176
Revision Weight: 201
Current Weight:  196
Goal:  165

Never turning back!!!!!!!!

taw1975
on 1/26/08 12:33 am - DFW, TX
In the Venti size--I'm addicted and need the big one to start my day. LOL The tall has 9 and the grande 12.
gottaluvave
on 1/26/08 12:30 am - Dallas, TX
pureed or very steamed veggies are what I have to do and I have to be very careful with stalks... also, V-8 juice is a good source of veggies!

Start Weight:   256
Surgery Weight: 248
Lowest Weight: 176
Revision Weight: 201
Current Weight:  196
Goal:  165

Never turning back!!!!!!!!

Frances S.
on 1/26/08 2:48 am - Zachary, LA
If you had a 20 gram serving of protein at lunch and dinner -- chicken, beef, tuna, etc., -- that would give you 40 grams of protein just there. Then you add 20 more grams with the things you eat with those meat items: Beans as a side, 7 grams cheese in your meat, 7 grams A glass of milk, 8 grams 2 eggs for breakfast, 12 grams Even if you just added eggs for breakfast and a glass of milk, you have the 60 grams if you had 3-4 oz of meat at lunch or dinner. Side note, these are suggestions. Please be cautious when any tells you what you "should" be doing -- other than the professionals. We are all different and if one person should eat every three hours, doesn't mean it's best for you. I eat three meals a day with no snacks or between-meal supplements. Does that mean you "should?" Nope. Good luck in finding what's best for you, Frances

A Banded Brain! (read blog)
"Banded for life, switched for good, bypassed by none" (revised, work in progress)

John T.
on 1/26/08 3:07 am - Highlands Ranch, CO
You mentioned a couple of good sources of protien on your list. i eat alot of albacore tuna.  its the perfect size and tons of protien! also, i LOVE chicken wings...so alot of times for lunch i go to this wing place that has 39 cent wings on tuesdays and get enough for a few lunches during the week.  another lunch idea is I go and get the Wendys chili off the dollar menu. and add the meat of of one of the dollar burgers there and add it into the chili to add more protien.   i feel stuffed after that and it only costs me 2 bucks plus tax! i never have been good at vegetables, even before my surgury i was bad at it...sometimes i have a v-8 (i know its high in sodium) and alot of times i get cans of green beans and eat them as a snack.

John T banded 8/29/07  high/surgury/current/goal  =  360/346/187/174  

Jenn S
on 1/26/08 8:07 am - Seattle, WA
These are all great ideas! Everyone's nutritionist is different - mine says 3 meals, 3/4  - 1 c. food each, and maybe one snack. I stick to 1000-1200 calories/day and often do supplement with a sugar-free smoothie from a nearby sports-performance smoothie shop. That said, one thing she reminded me last time is that almost EVERYTHING has some protein - broccoli, bread - she said those 1-2 grams can add up to a significant serving by day's end. I don't always do it perfectly, and honestly follow Weigh****chers to manage my intake - that said, here are my key 'rules' - nothing too new or shocking, I'm afraid... - Eat protein first! I have an egg and 1/2 ounce of crispy bacon at breakfast (with 1 slice of carb-curber bread - 50 calories with 7 grams of fiber!) - Tuna salad, 1/3 c. at lunch with 1/2 ounce almonds and 5 water crackers - Often a smoothie (33 g. protein) or a soy latte (12 g. protein) snack - 3-4 ounces fish/chicken/beef (mostly fish, some chicken, rarely beef), 1/2 c. veggies, and sometimes a wee bit'o'carbs (I love veggie spring rolls) I'm not perfect nor do I claim to be, but I'm holding up just fine with this. My nutritionist also suggested looking at the whole week - rather than daily - and often it just works out for me overall. Hope that's somewhat helpful!
(deactivated member)
on 1/26/08 8:19 am

When I'm really wanting some steamed squash or pumpkin or sweet tater, I have it, mu**** and add flavorless protein to keep my count up for the day.  I still consider that a "regular food"-but with my reduced capacity there is no way I can eat the veggies I like to the degree I like and still get my protien.  I'm just not a big meat eater, gets even less in the summer when the fresh veggies come on.

Like a couple of other have said, Chili is greatness and easy to eat.  I buy soy based "cream" of corn soup and dump in a can of crab and viola-cheep, low fat crab chowder that tastes oooooh so good and is full of protein.  Works with a can of chicken or tuna too.

moski305
on 6/18/09 7:16 am
There is absolutely NO WAY I could get my protein in, having been out approx. 10 days from surgery! I was very concerned bout the protein.......went to the vitamin store and got "New Whey" Liquid Protein dietary supplement.......comes in 4-5 flavors and has 42 grams of protein........they are like large test tubes, I drink one and a half during the course of the day! One whole one starting my day out and another half aat the end of the day............but might skip the half depending on what I eat!

It's a but pricey BUT the easiest way for me to get the protein in! E-bay sells it as well ):
Most Active