How much did you lose on liquid diet pre-op?

Hoping2BDiabetesFre
e

on 7/16/08 8:25 am - Oacoma, SD
Im on my liquid diet for two weeks pre-op.  Today is day 7 and as of today, I have lost 14 pounds.  Is this healthy?  I mean don't get me wrong, Im thrilled to be losing...but Im a little scared as i've averaged 2 pounds lost per day.  Im drinking a ton of water, taking my chewable vitamin and sticking to the diet without cheating once.  If anyone could share, that would help me out a ton.  Thanks in advance!

Christina
motherfashion
on 7/16/08 8:32 am - Cincinnati , OH
I lost 27 pounds .The larger you start, the faster you seem to lose. The purpose is to help the surgeon hegotiate between your liver and your stomach, but the mental rewards of rapid weight loss were encouraging to me.

start 350 / surgery 323 / CURRENT 195 / hip replaced 8/26 / GOAL 185

"nothing is forgotten, only left behind"-Robbie Robertson

Hoping2BDiabetesFre
e

on 7/16/08 8:35 am - Oacoma, SD
Thanks for your post!  You are doing fantastic!  I love to see that.  I can't wait to be there too. 

Thanks again,
Christina
ladyinwaiting777
on 7/16/08 8:55 am
Wow!!!  You guys are such an inspiration!!!  I'm on DAY 1 of my pre-op liquid diet...and it seems like these 2 weeks before the surgery are going to really be tough.  But when I read that others here have lost 15-20 pounds pre-op on this diet, it really makes these shakes easier to swallow.  Keep up the great work!!! 
Balynn34
on 7/16/08 10:19 am
VSG on 04/04/12 with
I only lost 8 pounds, but my pre-op diet wasn't all liquid....it was liquid with a meal at dinner time, protein and veggies only.  I think if I had done all liquid I might have lost more, but I was happy to lose that!  

Barbara    

Pam M.
on 7/16/08 10:32 am - WA
I'm on day 12, my surgery is on Friday. As of this morning, I was down about 9 pounds. But I too got one meal in the evenings that included lean protein, low fat dairy, and vegetables. I just can't wait to have the surgery. This liquid diet sucks!

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

kerriockey
on 7/16/08 2:17 pm - Marshfield, MA
The liquid diet does suck...and I didn't think I was going to be able to fini****  Two days before surgery I was like "screw it I just want to go to McDonald's" but I didn't give up and I am SOOO glad for that.  I was banded yesterday...and I am feeling great today!
whiterabt
on 7/16/08 10:41 am
Lap Band on 07/18/08 with
It looks like liquid diets are common?  My nutritionist at the surgery center put me on a high protein diet.  I'm consuming an average of 1600 calories a day with only 40 grams of carbs.  Eating all of this meat makes me feel kinda gross!

I'm eight days in and down 4 lbs.  I've been drinking around 100 oz of water a day.  This diet makes me thirsty.

Surgery is this coming Friday!  I can't wait to eat some carbs again!

xo,
-e

Nancy B.
on 7/16/08 10:54 am - West Memphis, AR

I lost 20lbs on my 3 week liquid diet which was incredible to me, I hadnt seen numbers like that in years   Keep up the good work!!  And best of wishes for a fast & healthy recovery!!

Nancy

SmilinsShrinking
on 7/16/08 1:07 pm, edited 7/16/08 1:08 pm - Kent, WA

I just finished... and in 13 1/2 days I lost 27 pounds.   We did the sugar free clear liquid diet.  Ours included anything clear & SF  (sugar free clear soda, crystal ligh****ER.. and tons of it!!)  Sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles & broth.  All vitamins that we are to take post-op and 2 - 30g proteins shakes daily.     I was afraid that I was going to be a raving "B" while doing it!   But, I was so pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.  And I could totally tell a difference in how my body was moving. (with the 13 pounds I'd already lost, 40 pounds down makes moving around a LOT easier!!)

Best of luck on what you're doing. My surgeon said that following his SFCLD made his job yestersay MUCH easier on him.. and it went perfectly!  Hooooray!!

*hugs*

Smilin'

Highest:390  Day of surgery 350 Current: 256 
New Goal:  175

Hoping2BDiabetesFre
e

on 7/16/08 1:30 pm - Oacoma, SD
Thanks for your reply.  Im hoping to lose 28 lbs (since Im averaging 2 lbs a day gone).  Maybe I will get there:)  My liquid diet consists of soups both clear and creamy only made with fat free milk, cream of wheat, malt o meal or cocoa wheats (no more than 2 servings a day) and anything sugar free/ fat free like popsicles, jello, pudding, etc. 

I have been doing both servings of malt o meal at breakfast with ff milk, then water btn meals, then for lunch soup or sugar free carnation instant breakfast with ff milk, then for dinner, more soup or carnation instant breakfast again with ff milk.  I've been drinking about 80 to 100 oz of water per day and walking in the evening for exercise.  I've been hungry!!!  But keep telling myself it's worth it.  I've never lost weight like this before, so it is encouraging to see that I will have a head start. 

So far, I've cut my insulin requirements down about 75%.  I can't wait to see if I can go off of my insulin forever. 

Thanks to everyone who has replied...I truly appreciate the support and advice:) 

Chris
heavenly_sweet_pea
on 5/6/13 1:04 pm - Arroyo Grande, CA

Hello I am scheduled for my surgery on May 17, 2013.. I was to lose 10% of my weight and I have lost 19 lbs so far with 6 lbs more to go.. I have to start a clear liquid diet two days before but as of last Friday I was diagnosed with having Gastroenteritis and began a diet of clear liquids to get well.. My question is how much weight can I lose on a diet of clear liquids for a week and since of my surgery is around the corner and will be needing to be on clear liquids anyway would it be wise just to be on clear liquids till my day of surgery and will I lose these last 6 lbs if I do? 

Christine 

Stephanie M.
on 5/6/13 1:17 pm

Welcome to the forum!  I would ask your doctor about continuing on clear liquids for another 11 days.  You'll be on them post op, they have little nutritional value.  How long we're you told to be on them for gastroenteritis?  

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

heavenly_sweet_pea
on 5/6/13 1:42 pm - Arroyo Grande, CA

Only for the first 24 hours then I am to try to see if I can hold anything down but I'm still pretty much not ready for full liquids yet to much in pain...

Christine 

reneeperk
on 1/22/14 9:34 am

What does the liquid diet consist of? Is it clear liquids or smoothies too? Thanks!

reneeperk
on 1/22/14 9:37 am

What does the liquid diet consist of? Is it clear liquids or smoothies too? Thanks!

D-LITE !
on 7/16/08 1:48 pm - Miramar, FL
About 25 lbs. in 10 days on Optifast diet (4 shakes a day, 800 calories per day).

"Never allow anyone to place a "period" in your life. Other people may add commas, or dashes and semi-colons, but only GOD can end the sentence!"  www.myspace.com/pastordat2