Recent Topics
December WLS Sisters!
katies_vsgjourney · 0 replies · 1 views
TUESDAY GRATEFUL POST
Vivian Prouty · 0 replies · 17 views
LapBand Surgery in 2 days!
CarBra · 22 replies · 283 views

Anyone out there with an APL (14cc) lap band?

Band to DS
on 8/6/08 11:22 pm
I just found out that I have an AP large lap band -- the one that holds 14 mL of saline. I'd like to hear from others who have the larger band. Have you reached your "sweet spot?" How many fills did it take to get you there? I'm just wondering if my experience is going to be different from those who have the AP small (10cc) band. It seems like the smaller band is more common.

Thanks,
Shelli

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/08 1:25 am
I'm still pre-op Shelli, but I am interested in learning more about the 14 cc band as well.

With my mentality .... the bigger the better !

robert B.
on 8/7/08 5:42 am - fair lawn, NJ
had my first fill  had 3half cc  with 14 ap  need another fill
justjudy
on 8/7/08 6:29 am - Canton, MI
I have the 14 CC band and have about 11.5 in it now and need to get back for another fill. Restriction is different for everyone no matter the band size,  so you won't be able to evaluate much based on others' experiences.  And I guess I don't believe so far that there is one magic "sweet spot" because each time I think I have hit it I seem to outgrow it, although there are some people on the board who have only had one fill, or haven't had a fill in more than a year and who keep losing.  I will be interested to see what others say.
Judy
Progress, not perfection

SusanNYC
on 8/7/08 7:31 am - Bayside, NY
Revision on 04/07/10 with
Hi Shelli.....I too have the AP band....I think I have the large as well. This is a revision lap band for me....post op 3 weeks so I have not had my first fill as of yet and as you, I am cuious to know what others have done. But my goal with this band is, (and I am stealing this quote from Cindy) is to be under-filled not over-filled. Being overfilled before caused me tons of problems....my own fault....and my orginal band slipped. Not fun to have this surgery again. My advice is to speak honestly with your doctor about how and what you are eating. I was embarrased to tell the doctor how much I was eating. I had always conditioned myself before to never let anyone know how much I actually ate. Today....I am honest with my doctor and I allow him to guide me through this journey when it comes to filling the band.

Thanks for posting Shelli....Hugs Susan

Iam_with_the_Band
on 8/7/08 9:56 am
Hijack Susan -
I couldn't agree more!  My doctor leaves it totally up to me with his assistance, whether or not I need a fill.
I have a 14ml band and I have 3.55mls in it.  I've been in the GREEN zone now for about 3 months.  My weight is dropping pretty consistently.
It totally depends on the person and has nothing to do with your size band.

I love the idea of being underfilled AND still being able to work the band.  For me - it's 80% willpower and 20% band.  I am able to eat anything I want and have NOT vomited or slimed once. 

I'm 6 months post op.

12/09 Extended TT w/hernia repair/Brachioplasty w/lipo, 5/11 Full Facelift,eyes,long thigh lift,Anchor cut,LBL/Butt Aug Dr. Sauceda 

dreyna914
on 8/7/08 8:31 am - Arlington, TX
I have the AP 14 CC's but I am newly banded and have not got my first fill yet. But my husband was banded last year with the same band. He is at 7.8 CCs and has good restriction. So like everyone says, everyone is different and you can't base your "sweet spot" on what is good for someone else.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

I am 5'1"   Pre-Op 264/Current 225/ First Gaol 160        14cc band - 6.2 cc's full
Surgery 1cc, 1st fill 2.4 cc's, 2nd fill 1.4 cc's, 3rd fill 1cc, 4th fill .4cc's 

Revision 3/27/14 from lap band to gastric sleeve  - starting weight after unfill 258

Band to DS
on 8/7/08 9:34 am
Yes, I would definitely rather have a band that's too loose than one that's too tight. And I know that the amount of saline a person needs in their band to achieve good restriction is highly individual. I just want to know what other people's experience has been like with the larger band since most people here seem to have the smaller one.

Thanks,
Shelli

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

jojoplus2
on 8/7/08 9:50 am - MN
Lap Band on 04/17/08 with

I also have the APL. My surgeon chooses the band once he gets in to look at the stomach. My first fill was 1.5cc, no restriction with that. My second fill was another 1.5 cc for a total of 3. I do have restriction.

Remember a couple of things...

Everyone is different, so try not to compare no matter how tempting it is! I have to remind myself of that every once in a while too! I know one person with the APL *****ached good restriction at 6-7 cc. He was banded in Sept 07 and has lost well over 100+lbs. I can't remember the exact amount, but it's a lot! Another person I know, I think has the APL (I could be wrong on her) has yet to need a fill. She was banded in February and has lost 50+ lbs.

You might have restriction, however, as you loose the fat around your stomach, the band will get loose again. It's like having to tighten your belt when you loose weight.

Good luck to you!

Jojoplus 2 aka Joanie
Total unfil 8-19-10 -4.6ccs
Refill 8-30-10 to 2.5ccs
2nd Refill 9-20-10 to 3.55ccs

barbie77
on 3/16/09 1:01 pm

Right now I'm 14 cc lap-band and I only lost 11 pound since 11-17-2008, so far I had 3 adjustment put on 5 cc restriction.  I problaby need to go to 8 cc to really feel it.

Karen F.
on 8/7/08 1:58 pm - Rockawy Beach, MO
Revision on 10/16/09 with
I have a 14cc band and reached my sweet spot after 4 fills.  I'm at 7cc's.

KJL

Highest weight:261 (2/07), First Consult weight: 242 (12/4/07)
Day of Lap Band Surgery: 213.2 (4/16/08)
Day of revision to DS: 208 (10/16/2009), Current weight: 138.0

SHIRLQ
on 5/4/09 2:11 pm - MARSHFIELD, MO
not sure if you are still on this site. I had surgery with Dr.Edwards on 10/8/2008 Not sure what band he used did Wendy do your fills I am at 6cc but do not feel am at my sweet spot .I have had fills 7time to get to 6cc She is afraid to put any in .thanks for lessening shirlqjones@yahoo.com
Karen F.
on 5/4/09 3:02 pm - Rockawy Beach, MO

Wendy did my fills, but never seemed afraid to put any in.  I haven't had any sucess with my band.  I'm a year out and now weigh 3 pounds less than I did the day of surgery, so I'm now planning a revision to DS.  I envy the banded who have succeded with theirs.  I've spent most of the last year more hungry  than I was before surgery (yes real hunger, not head hunger).

I hope you're having more luck.

KJL

SHIRLQ
on 5/4/09 8:42 pm - MARSHFIELD, MO
how do you know you hit your sweet spot .From reading on other web site. they are not hungery all the time like I am .what is ds? I going to ask for a fill not sure she will do it for me .I read where they were  at 7cc to 11 cc. .did you feel like you need more fill Can you eat any thing you want?sorry for all the question .I have had 7fills to get to 6cc. I did not feel anything instill the 5 one felt a little for awhile .I thought it was me fault ,but not sure now after reading on some if the sites.I do not know what to do ,bt want to do something.thanks for lessening
Karen F.
on 5/5/09 7:30 am - Rockawy Beach, MO
When I was at my sweet spot I was able to eat about 3 oz of protein and about 1/2 cup of veggies (as long as they were very small bites and well chewed).  It took me about 45 minutes to eat that and I didn't feel hungry again for about 3 hours.  Unfortunately my sweet spot only lasted about 2 weeks, then my band felt tighter and I couldn't get any solid food down till evening and was hungry all the time.  I've tried unfills and fills and can't get this _$&( to work as advertised.  I'm hungry all the time and gaining weight.  Not a happy camper.

Good Luck

KJL

SHIRLQ
on 5/5/09 11:19 am - MARSHFIELD, MO
I'am sorry I wish there was something you could do to make this work for you .I can not stay on a diet if this does not work for me  I do not know what ot do .My daughter is taking pill from a dr..She lost all her wieght 'but not sure if it will stay off .I talked to Wendy and going to get a fill 0n the 8 .thanks for lessening
SHIRLQ
on 8/8/09 11:42 am - MARSHFIELD, MO
JUST WANTING TO KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING .i AM STILL NOT LOSING i HAVE NO LUCK WITH THE DR.
sherhines
on 8/7/08 3:12 pm - Dale, IN
Hi Shelli-
I have an APL too.  So far I have had two fills and a total of 8cc in my 14cc band.  I'm almost there, but I need just a little more I think.  I am scheduled for Monday for fill #3.
Sherie

barbie77
on 3/11/09 11:30 am
Ms Shelli I have 14cc Lap band II  I had put on 11-17-2008 and I only lost 12 pound> they already fill me three time, and still eat alot I think.  By the next adjustment I will ask to put 2cc.  To see if I can get to right spot too.  Right now I'm working out and I lost 1 pound since saturday.  Thank I would like to know if is working with you. Thank Barbie77
Bucketta
on 5/4/09 9:35 pm
I have the APL, that holds 14 cc's and I currently have 11.5 cc's in my band and have yet to reach restriction and have only lost about 20 lbs. 

Jacqueline

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11