tummy tuck after lap band?

eclares
on 1/9/09 8:43 pm - savannah, ga
Hi!  If anyone has had a tummy tuck after the band, please let me know how it went.  I am scheduled for tummy tuck next week and my surgeon has never done this type of surgery.  He said the port would have to be moved and reattached somewhere else.  Kind of scared?  Also I didn't loose that much weight from the surgery and am about 50 lbs overwieght but the dr. said I was a good candidate anyway..  THANKS!!!  CLare
VickiStevens
on 1/9/09 9:00 pm - Tacoma, WA
Lap Band on 01/09/03 with
I had a tummy tuck, but I was at 100% excess weight loss when I had it.  Also, my lapband doctor did the tummy tuck so I had no worries about the port or the band.  I knew that he knew exactly how to handle it!

Be prepared, the tummy tuck is much more painful than the lapband surgery.  But I do not regret it at all.  I have this nice little flat tummy - in fact, you can feel my hipbones!  It's pretty cool.

Take care and good luck.
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
cori9191
on 8/25/10 3:34 am - Seattle, WA
Hi Vicki,
I am from Seattle and had the lap band done by Dr. Oh. Did you go to St. Francis in Federal Way?
I am at 107 with 100 lbs. being my goal but I will most likely stop at 105 or so. I am trying to find out if my insurance will cover a tummy tuck. I lost 116 lbs. now. The other day I started smelling a strange smell and my belly button felt weird. I lifted up the skin and I have a rash with a smelly infection in my belly button area. This is so weird. I take showers all the time. Do you know how to get rid of a rash like this? I have been doing lots of alchol rubs and antibiotic ointment. I was wondering if Dr. Oh did your surgery and if it was covered by your insurance? Also what did you do when you had all of the extra skin?
Thank you. You look so great. I hope you are still feeling good and you're at your goal.
corinda
islandqueen38
on 11/4/10 11:06 am
It is probably a yeast infection.  You need some cream to put on it.  I had that one time under my boob.    Doris

pineview01
on 4/1/13 7:00 pm - Davison, MI

You need to have your doctor document the rash and give you a RX for the cream even if OTC.  Some insurance will cover the TT if you have enough medical documentation.  It is very important to keep the area dry.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won!  Sleeved 1/22/13!  At third goal and "normal"

Karen D.
on 11/4/10 11:10 am
RNY on 07/01/09 with
How did your plastic surgery go? I am getting a TT and BR on the 16th. Was it worth it?  Did you haave a lot of pain? How long did it take to heal?  How much weight did you loose? What size clothe did you fit in before and then afterwards?  Have any pictures?

Thanks,

Karen

KAREN

This one time....in
Band Camp.....

on 1/9/09 9:24 pm - Crestwood, KY
I'm interested in the responses you'll get.  Not sure how many you'll get on here though since about 80% of the participants here are less than a year out and/or still working towards goal like me.  I'm planning on having my plastiques consult sometime this Spring.  I have set a goal for myself to be less than 20 pounds from my original stated goal before my consult so I am getting close (I might opt to stop 10 pounds earlier for my total weight loss but haven't decided yet)!

My one thought though was if you have completely thought through letting a surgeon relocate your port who has never done it before?  That one part scares me.  I'm a bit overly protective when it comes to my band since I'm self-pay.  

I wish you much luck though, a speedy recovery and killer abs though!  Please come back and share your journey and results with us! 
~BECKA~   Start - 254 / Current - 172.6 / Goal - 160
  Just another Bariatric Babe!! 

Heres2anewme
on 1/9/09 9:51 pm - TX
I am still pre-surgery, so I can't really give you any advice. I am a bit concerned though, with your surgeon not having experience with the band and suggesting the procedure before you have reached goal. Just wondering if you have talked to your lapband doctor about this to make sure it is the best move for right now? Maybe he can put in a call to you plastic surgeon to let him know where/how the port should be moved?
Jamille            ~If it's God's will for me, then it will be~
                                            I Being A Mommy!!

Karen D.
on 11/4/10 11:09 am
RNY on 07/01/09 with
How did your plastic surgery go? I am getting a TT and BR on the 16th. Was it worth it?  Did you haave a lot of pain? How long did it take to heal?  How much weight did you loose? What size clothe did you fit in before and then afterwards?  Have any pictures?

Thanks,

Karen

KAREN

Pumpkin X .
on 4/2/13 5:18 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On January 9, 2009 at 9:51 PM Pacific Time, Heres2anewme wrote:
I am still pre-surgery, so I can't really give you any advice. I am a bit concerned though, with your surgeon not having experience with the band and suggesting the procedure before you have reached goal. Just wondering if you have talked to your lapband doctor about this to make sure it is the best move for right now? Maybe he can put in a call to you plastic surgeon to let him know where/how the port should be moved?

Hi Jamalama

Miss you Loves ya 

Heres2anewme
on 4/2/13 6:50 am - TX
On April 2, 2013 at 5:18 AM Pacific Time, Pumpkin X . wrote:
On January 9, 2009 at 9:51 PM Pacific Time, Heres2anewme wrote:

Hi Jamalama

Miss you Loves ya 

Hellllllloooooo Lovely Pumpkin Wumpkin!!! I misses and loves you too!!!!!

Jamille            ~If it's God's will for me, then it will be~
                                            I Being A Mommy!!

Bucketta
on 1/9/09 11:00 pm
My lapband surgeon said no plastics until you have been at goal for at least 6 months to a year.  Waste of time and money to have it done before you are finished losing.  Some doctors and esp. plastic surgeons will tell you anything to get that dime. 

Jacqueline

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

Krista C.
on 1/10/09 4:33 am - Quispamsis, Canada
Why are you having it done now if you still have 50 lbs to lose? Won't you want it done again then? (I have a friend who is having plastics done at 250 lbs and I don't get it at all!) Is this something you have to pay for out of pocket or something covered?

I'd be uincomfortable with a surgeon that's never done this surgery. Sorry to sound negative - just trying to understand as I am sure you have your reasons.

SmilinsShrinking
on 1/10/09 5:23 am, edited 1/10/09 5:24 am - Kent, WA
Hi Clare!

I've never had a tummy tuck, but it's something that I'm giving serious thought to down the line, when it's time.  I have a couple of questions for you.

When you said that your surgeon has never done this type of surgery, did you mean that you will be his first tummy tuck?  Or that he's never done a tummy tuck for someone with a band, thus someone with a port?  Reading that part made a few red flags raise for me.

Also, I think you'll get more replies & more knowledgeable replies over on the plastic surgery board.  (You could cross post this)  The people there have either had plastics done or have been doing their research & could probably give you some great feedback.

Good luck!
*hugs*
Smilin'

Highest:390  Day of surgery 350 Current: 256 
New Goal:  175

smilin_eyes_58
on 1/10/09 5:27 am - IL
Post over on the Plastic Board there are several over there I do believe.  Also I think I heard over there they don't reposistion the port because it is attached to the muscle it is the skin that is majorly moved the muscles underlying are just tightened a little.  But as I'm far from knowledgeable about it don't got by what I say. . 
Cheryl
5' 5 1/2"
HW 319/DOS 288.8/NOW 213.6/ 105.4 lostSurgery 1/21/09

3grlsmom
on 1/10/09 5:40 am
 Why would you ever want to do this now??  You will need to do it again later.  The biggest WHY is WHY would you ever select someone who never did this before??  I personally would rather be flabby than be a guinea pig....there are dozens of experienced and qualified surgeons locally - you are not living in Zimbabwe........I say do research here for a different Dr. and plan it for 6 months from now.....
Karen in NJ 

My-Last-Hope
on 1/10/09 6:07 am
First off I would never have surgery with a surgeon who has never done this before.  2nd from what I have heard - to have optimal results you want to be near or at your goal weight.  I do know as I have spoken to my surgeon about this is that there is a low profile port that can be replaced with the old.  I am also planning on having a tuck but not until I have lost it all.

I would re think this surgery next week and explore doctors that are reconstructive plastic surgeons with experience.

Sorry to be so blunt but I saw a huge red flag when I read your post.

TLZ
Michele A.
on 1/10/09 6:59 am - IN

My first instinct was to respond like Karen in NJ - don't do it!

Then I thought perhaps since I'm not familiar with your story from the boards, I'd look on your profile.  Nothing there.  Your post creates many questions, and most have the same answer - stop your plans and talk to another surgeon.

There's nothing to tell us how old you are or how much weight you've lost (not much you say), so all we know is that you still need to lose about 50 lbs.  I'm judging by your pictures that you are fairly young (under 35), so first I'd want to know what else you are doing about your tummy?  Do you exercise?  Have you had babies?  Do you have health issues from your excess tummy skin?

What I'm getting at here is that you may be rushing into surgery when time and a little effort can give you reasonable results.  I come from my own biased viewpoint, so it's only fair to be upfront.  I am 47, was severely overweight for about 10 years and smoked from age 18 - 46, off and on.  Looking at my excess skin issues, I have to look at the same general criteria as you:  age, general lifelong fitness, genetics, skin-damaging habits, potential future weight-gain (pregnancy), etc.  At my age, the best hope I have for skin elasticity is genetics, because I was not "fit" even when I wasn't overweight, and I smoked for so long, which has a negative effect on all tissue except adipose (figures-lol).  However, my mother has not aged well, so I don't expect to do much better.  Final analysis: I will be flabby.  Can I accept that?  Yes, because I'm too modest to show my body, and my husband loves me regardless.  Also, I wouldn't be comfortable getting plastics, unless there was a health-related need.  So there's my bias.

You are presumably younger, young enough that you can counteract some of the factors that may contribute to your perceived need for a tummy tuck at this time.  If you are as young as I'm guessing, I think the surgeon you are seeing is acting irresponsibly, and I would go to another surgeon who is well-established and has worked with WLS patients, and get a second opinion.  You get one body, it has to last for the rest of your life, and you don't want to deliver yourself into the hands of someone who jumps at the chance to do surgery on someone who has already demonstrated the ability to lose weight, and hasn't actually reached or maintained goal as yet.

Please, if I sound patronizing or insulting, that is not my intention.  I just want to get your attention and make you ask yourself some questions before you possibly go under anesthesia and a scalpel with a surgeon who could do more harm than good.   If I've read your situation incorrectly, I'm sorry.  I just think you are in a hurry, giving up on your band and weight loss, and you are possibly the victim of an unscrupulous plastic surgeon.  I hope I'm wrong.

Good luck with your decision,

Michele

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship - Louisa May Alcott

includes 11 pounds pre-op loss
Robin B.
on 1/10/09 6:59 am - Chicago-ish, IL
I had a lower body lift, which is a tummy tuck and butt lift at the same time. I had about 11 lbs to lose to get to goal and a few days shy of year out from band placement. (My weight had been steady for about 3 months). They did not reattach my port, but it was pulled down when they pulled down the skin from my stomach. My port is about 3 inches lower now than it was pre-body lift and is right above my belly button. Be prepared for a LONG recovery, not so much painful, just a long period of not feeling like yourself and A LOT of swelling.

Robin

Banded - 10.10.07
Starting Weight - 284               Current Weight - 144             Goal Weight - 149

Karen D.
on 11/4/10 11:05 am
RNY on 07/01/09 with
How did it go?

I am getting a TT and BR on the 16th. Was it worth it?  Did you haave a lot of pain? How long did it take to heal?  How much weight did you loose? What size clothe did you fit in before and then afterwards?  Have any pictures?

Thanks,

Karen

KAREN