Gall Bladder and Lapband

mthrmdh
on 2/18/09 10:35 am - Hillsboro, AL
How long was it after lapband surgery before you had to have your gallbladder removed? Also what are the symptoms of gallstones or gallbladder disease? I think I am having a little problem that may be gallbladder related. Thanks for listening.
abandster
on 2/18/09 10:46 am

I'm more than 3 years out and still have my gall bladder.  I saw my daddy go to gall bladder pain, though, and I was afraid he was going to die....the pain was so bad.  I've heard it described as worse than natural labor.

You really need to call your PCP and have your ball bladder scanned to make sure all is well.  And, if it has to come out, its outpatient surgery (most of the time), done laproscopically so its not too bad.

LaWanda

This one time....in
Band Camp.....

on 2/18/09 10:52 am - Crestwood, KY
Mine comes out Friday at 8:30am!!  That will be 15 months after surgery for me.  I do think mine's been causing me intermittant issues for years though.  Here's a pretty good list of symptoms I found on www.gallbladderattack.com

SYMPTOMS OF GALLBLADDER PROBLEMS

People can go for years with digestive symptoms and never realize that they may be related to a gallbladder problem. That's because they are so inter-related with other digestive symptoms. Constipation is one of the most commonly missed ones. The list provided here may be related to gallbladder but bear in mind that it could also be something else. The first four mentioned I feel are most indicative of gallbladder issues. It is not necessary to have all or many symptoms to have gallbladder problems but the more you have from this list, the more confirmation you have that the gallbladder is involved. Please note that it is still adviseable to consult your doctor for an acurate diagnosis. Gallbladder attack symptoms are listed below and again with more explanation separately on the home page.

• Pain or tenderness under the rib cage on the right side
  • Pain between shoulder blades
  • Stools light or chalky colored
  • Indigestion after eating, especially fatty or greasy foods
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Bloating
  • Gas
  • Burping or belching
  • Feeling of fullness or food not digesting
  • Diarrhea (or alternating from soft to watery)
  • Constipation
  • Headache over eyes, especially right
  • Bitter fluid comes up after eating
  • Frequent use of laxatives

GALLBLADDER ATTACK SYMPTOMS

Please note that if you are in severe pain and particularly if your attack symptoms are accompanied by fever DO SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. The following symptoms are typical of a gallbladder attack.

• Moderate to severe pain under the right side of the rib cage
  • Pain may radiate through to the back or to the right shoulder
  • Severe upper abdominal pain (biliary colic)
  • Nausea
  • Queasiness
  • Vomiting
  • Gas
  • Burping or belching
  • Attacks are often at night
  • Attacks often occur after overeating
  • Pain will often but not always follow a meal with fats or grease
  • Pain may be worse with deep inhalation
  • Attacks can last from 15 minutes to 15 hours
~BECKA~   Start - 254 / Current - 172.6 / Goal - 160
  Just another Bariatric Babe!! 

-Mari-
on 2/18/09 11:14 am
I have had no problems, yet. I suggest that people take Urso if they can. It's what they give RNY patients. I have to take it for 6 months. I've read where it takes you from a 20% chance of having problems to 3%. Good luck.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
PplAmanda
on 2/18/09 12:41 pm - Benton, AR
I lost my gallbladder around 8 months out.

My symptoms were classic: severe pain that felt like a boa constrictor was squeezing me to death around my chest. Vomiting for an hour at a time. When nothing would come up I would have dry heaves and DEEP DEEP from my toes retching. These would most often occur at night. NOTHING would stop the pain. The episodes would last 1-2 hours.

I was terrified at first that it was the band. I went to see my surgeon who ordered a ultrasound and then a hepatic rillibry (spelling?) study. I had 50+ stones and my gallbladder had pretty much stopped functioning.

Some people have a hard time adjusting without a gallbladder, but I haven't noticed anything different except that I feel better and do not have anymore attacks. Don't put it off if it is your gallbladder. You will feel much better when it is gone!
cj5094
on 9/2/18 6:31 pm

I am laying in a hospital bed right now, after having my gallbladder removed this morning. I had my lap band placed 8 years ago, and initially lost 100 pounds in 12 months with no gallbladder problems. Fast forward to 3 months ago. I lost another 35 pounds rather quickly (probably because I stopped being able to eat because of the pain. But it's a vicious cycle because fasting (not eating solid food) is what stresses your gallbladder. And evidently an ultrasound revealed that my stomach was inflamed and irritated. I'm assuming after I heal I will be fine. If not, my surgeon (general) advised that I empty my band long enough to let my stomach "settle down and heal," The surgery, by the way, was a breeze. I feel really good a mere 6 hours out of post-op. I'm SORE (I had it done by laparoscopy) but the pain is different and I'm tolerating it well. And a little Tramadol is all I need post-op.

Hope this helps.

Hislady
on 2/18/09 4:43 pm - Vancouver, WA

Yep GB issues are very common in WLS patients. My surgeon had me on Ursodial for a year after surgery to avoid this very issues. Call your doc and get checked, it's not a fun issue from all I've read!

Most Active