Acid reflux and coughing all night

Babbs
on 8/8/09 1:28 pm - Charleston, IL
RNY on 06/12/12
I have been on a rollercoaster since April, 09.    Acid Reflux and coughing at night.  Stomach acid coming up and spitting or shooting out my nose.  Gross I know. I am taking Aciphex everyday.  (This liquid can be aspirated and cause bronchitis or even pneumonia )

I have been back to the Surgeon every 4-6 weeks and at each time they removed like .2 from my 4cc band.  It seems my band was too tight. 

He feels the acid caused swelling and the swelling caused tightening and then more acid and so on.  This last time he removed all saline that was left .5 .  I still feel like I have restriction.  I was so afraid of an unfill.  I thought I would be hungry and gain.  I guess I still have swelling. 

I went back last Monday to get a floroscope.  But since I was still having no pain and problems were gone at night he wants me to give it some time.  Wait on the Xray and come back in 4 wks.  If I have more problems with Reflux, I may need to have the 4 cc band replaced with a new 10cc AP band.  (Which is the one I requested in the first place)

And the saga continues.................

New banders, Do not let them put in a 4 cc band with healing and scar tissue my band may be too tight even with no saline requiring another surgery.

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee:  because he trusteth in thee. IS 26:3    

Panda1
on 8/8/09 1:50 pm - Scottsdale, AZ

I had a similar experience when my band got overfilled, horrible, horrible. Like you said, coughing up acid at night, and big time reflux. Whew, not a pleasant experience at all. At least I know now how much is too much in my band. I was hoping the reason for lack of results was the band too loose, but I was truethfully overeating and not getting enough excercise. The band is a great tool, but the rest is up to me...

Babbs
on 8/8/09 1:57 pm - Charleston, IL
RNY on 06/12/12
you are right, I have been eating too much too...

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee:  because he trusteth in thee. IS 26:3    

pineview01
on 8/8/09 3:12 pm - Davison, MI
Do they have you on a liquid diet to allow all the swelling to go down?  I know when I even just pb, I have to.  If not it just gets worst.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Babbs
on 8/9/09 2:16 am - Charleston, IL
RNY on 06/12/12
No they don't have me on a liquid diet, I have been doing soft/liquids to rest it.  Now they want me to do band friendly.

Kate -True Brit
on 8/8/09 5:33 pm - UK

Sorry you ahve had such a hard time. Hope all goes well now.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active