Most Active

Colon cleanse after surgery?

mymeow
on 2/17/10 1:26 pm - Parker, CO
RNY on 02/12/13 with
I had my surgery almost 2 years ago and have lost close to 70 lbs.  I have recently recommitted myself and have been following more of a natural, organic-type diet.  Presurgery, I was a HUGE Diet Pepsi drinker and even postsurgery drank a lot of Crystal Light, which even that I have now stopped.  I don't know what the years of aspartame use did to my body or the other crap I used to consume, but a nutritionist I have been seeing has recommended a high fiber, all natural cleansing powder that you mix with water.  She herself has used it and highly recommends it.  I would think that this would be okay to use with the band, but am curious if any of you have anything to say about this or if you've done a colon cleanse after banding?  Thanks!

Robin

Lap Band 4/15/2008 (SW 304); Revision to RNY 2/12/2013

HW for RNY 268, SW 255, CW 174

Bette B.
on 2/17/10 1:44 pm, edited 2/17/10 1:58 pm
With the except of bowel prep for colonoscopy, I've never done a cleanse. The colon is perfectly capable of cleansing itself. Our tinkering around down there can cause more problems that the "cleanse" is supposed to eradicate.

[DUH! I forgot to cut and paste the data!]

Proponents of colon cleansing believe that toxins from your gastrointestinal tract can cause a variety of health problems, such as arthritis, allergies and asthma. They say that colon cleansing — also called colonic irrigation — removes these toxins, thus promoting healthy intestinal bacteria, boosting your energy and enhancing your immune system.

While there is little scientific evidence to support or refute the benefits of colon cleansing, critics say it's generally unnecessary and at times may even be harmful. Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don't recommend it for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: The digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria — your body doesn't need enemas or special diets or pills to do this.

One concern with colon cleansing is that it can increase your risk of dehydration. A potentially more serious concern is that certain laxatives used in colon cleansing, such as those with sodium phosphate, can cause a rise in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or heart disease.

If you choose to do colon cleansing, be sure to take these simple precautions:

• Check with your conventional medical providers first, especially if you take any medications or have any health problems.
  • Make sure your colon-cleansing practitioner uses disposable equipment that hasn't been previously used.
  • Get a list of specific herbal ingredients and amounts in any colon-cleansing products you use — some herbal supplements can cause health problems.
  • Beware of broad or inflated claims that colon cleansing will cure an illness or improve your health.
  • Stay well hydrated by drinking lots of fluids while undergoing colon cleansing to prevent dehydration.

If you are considering colon cleansing because of constipation, consider trying these steps first to relieve constipation:

• Drink plenty of fluids, including water
  • Eat a diet rich in fiber
  • Get regular exercise

But, generally, people don't need to take dramatic steps to "detoxify" themselves because human bodies have multiple systems for getting rid of wastes: by sweating, exhaling, urinating and defecating. If you really want a "clean" system, eat more fruits and vegetables and less junk food, all of which we're supposed to do anyway.

One testimonial ad, next to a truly gross picture on www.drnatura.com, reads, "How would you feel if long pieces of old toxin-filled fecal matter were stuck to the inside of your colon for months or even years?" But it's simply not true that waste material gets stuck indefinitely in the colon -- though the cleansing products themselves can form the gels that look like huge stools.

"I've heard my kids say that there's stuff in the GI [gastrointestinal] tract for seven years," said Dr. Douglas Pleskow, a gastroenterologist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. "That is the urban legend. In reality, most people clear their GI tract within three days."

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Hislady
on 2/17/10 2:12 pm - Vancouver, WA
DO NOT do this wihout checking with your band doc because some of these fiber compounds expand IN the stomach before going on thru to the colon which can be very dangerous to the band. There's really no reason for a cleanse of the colon, all it does is cleanse you of money and fill someone elses pocketbook.  Anything you've already ingested has already done any damage it's going to do. Save your money.
Jean M.
on 2/17/10 3:13 pm
Revision on 08/16/12 with
The nutritionist probably means well, but contrary to popular belief, the human gastrointestinal system is not a toxic waste dump.  It is designed (by nature, by God, what/whoever) to eliminate waste without any assistance whatsoever.  According to 2 gastroenterologists I've discusssed it with, the best thing for your colon is a diet rich in fiber PLUS drinking lots of water.

I'm not convinced those colon cleanse products even do what they claim to do.  I think their most effective use is in building the bank account of whoever's selling it.

Finally, this is a golden opportunity to tell one of my very favorite OH stories.  Kind of a bandster Urban Legend.  A year or so ago, a member who had been taking a colon cleanse product (in pill form) vomited something that looked exactly like a cat turd (she posted photos of it).  I immediately remembered my nutritionist warning me that if I eat certain things (popcorn husks, celery strings, fruit/vegetable seeds & peels), they can accumulate in the stoma and eventually form what's called a BEZOAR which might have to be removed via endoscopy.  And sure enough, when this member took the cat turd to her doctor he said, "I'll bet it's a bezoar."  And when he cut it open, what did he find inside it?  The colon cleanse pill.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Hislady
on 2/17/10 8:15 pm - Vancouver, WA
Ewwww Jean I remember that cat turd. That was some nasty business, anybody thinking of colon cleanse should be forced to look at that thing, yukkky!
kwebster
on 2/17/10 4:06 pm
 I am almost two years out as well.  A few weeks ago, I got this severe sharp pain in my lower left abdomen.  thought maybe i worked out to hard and damaged an ab muscle.  Long story short, it got worse, went to the surgeon who sent me for a ct scan.  The results showed a HUGE back up in the intestines.  Seriously, he told me to go home take some milk of magnesia and then get it cleaned out.

I didn't realize how backed up things get for some band patients.  I purchased this colon cleanse system.  Mainly I use the powdered fiber with my protein drinks and then drink the tea at night.  They want you to take a couple of parasite elimination pills in the am - but that doesn't set well with my band.  So, I have bagged it.  Anyway, the results - after 5 days are great.

They recommend doing it for a couple of months and then taking a break.

Hope that helps!
Kathy

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/10 5:31 am - AZ
Revision on 12/06/06 with
By any chance is the nutritionist selling this stuff?

If you are getting enough fiber and such that is good enough. If she is trying to tell you this will rid your body of toxins, she's crazier than most NUTS.