Most Active

Stomach fold skin irritation and odor ~ blech

SueN1021
on 5/10/10 7:41 pm - Villa Park, IL
Lap Band on 11/30/09 with
I have a large tummy fold (panniculus sp?) and after losing 45 lbs., I am having skin irritations and odor that I didn't notice before surgery.  I don't have any sores, just itching and body odor. 

What can I do?  I have used baby powder to try to help with the itching, but I don't think it is working well.  I shower everyday, so it's not a cleanliness issue.  Can I use deodorant?  lol

Sue
  5cc's in 10cc band

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/10 7:51 pm - Moreno Valley, CA
When I get a rash there, I use diaper ointment.  It keeps moisture out and keeps the area dry.

I'm sure there are better solutions and I'm looking forward to some too.

Terry
anonymouslyobese
on 5/10/10 7:53 pm
Lap Band on 04/07/10 with
I can't really "diagnose" you since I'm not a doctor.  But...

In the past I have gotten red, odor and itching and sometimes a little skin peeling comes with it.  For me, it's a yeast infection.   I put athlete's foot creme (per my doctor) everyday until it's gone and then if it comes back.  For me it's because the area isn't getting enough dry time.  I have prevented it in areas of my body by using deodorant there, but that is not a recommendation from my doc, so I don't know if that can cause problems (though I had none), so I'd say yes to prevent (but it doesn't get rid of it for me), but again you might want to check with your doctor!  Unless it is brand new or preventative the powder doesn't work for me.  

That said, you may want to ask your doctor.  Good luck! 

Amz
on 5/10/10 8:02 pm - CA
Probably a moisture problem so if you have irritation use Desitin diaper rash cream.  Works great on the moisture problem and dries up any skin welts.

For daily moisture control I use Baby Powder with Corn Starch.  Works like a charm!!

Hope this helps.
Amz

HW 273/ PSW 253/ SW 250/ CW 211/ 1st GOAL 200/ 2nd GOAL 180

Cheryl N.
on 5/10/10 8:30 pm - Des Moines, WA

After bathing/shower, be sure to really towel dry under stomach very well,, and start drying yourself from head to bottom, not bottom to head. 

Also use anti-fungal cream. 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Guernica Loser
on 5/10/10 9:09 pm
To avoid the infections, I use Gold Bond.  It stops the itching, absorbs and cools the area.  I put it under each breast and under the tummy after I dry well after the shower.  With FL summers it's a necessity.  Even my thinner friends use it.  They have different formulas, so read the one that's best for you if you decide on this.  I find desetin smells too much and I don't care for the cream....To me it's still moist.  But that's just me.
I've been on prednisone and chemo for over 7.5 years.  Gained over 160 pounds due to pred. Highest wt. 410. Surgery wt. 365. Current wt. 299
See ya,400s, 90s,80s,70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s 300s!!!!  

jenipeach
on 5/10/10 9:16 pm
I'm usually a lurker here, but thought I'd post a tip I got from my Dr a few years ago. After you shower, use a Hair dryer to dry underneath the fold.  I hadn't realized how much moisture I was leaving by just towel drying. It made a huge difference. Of course, powder after blow drying is always good, to help keep away the moisture.
Bucketta
on 5/10/10 9:46 pm
I had this same recommdation, to use the blow dryer to get the area good and dry.  I don't care for powders because they tend to just roll up in to balls of powder for me.  I use destin, sp wrong and it works like a charm.  I also only sleep in cotton pjs no polyester and not the jersy cotton either plain ole cotton PJs.  Also wear cotton underwear, helps me a lot. 

Jacqueline

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

nkara
on 5/11/10 4:18 am
 I have a "slice" of irritation under my boob..... only the left one.  But I tried creams and powders and nothing. I finally bought Desitin and it seems to be working.  I'll be asking my doctor when I see him next month if it's still there. 
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

SueN1021
on 5/11/10 5:02 am - Villa Park, IL
Lap Band on 11/30/09 with
Thank you for all the great suggestions!  I will definitely try the hair dryer for a quick fix today and then get the Gold Bond and Desitin and try those, too. 

sue
  5cc's in 10cc band

The New Mrs
on 5/11/10 5:28 am - Mooresville, NC
VSG on 02/09/12 with
For another powder suggestion, I find that the Vagisil powder also works very well.  I like it because it doesn't have Talc in it, which supposedly can cause cancer. 

Good luck.
Julie
Lap Band Surgery 12/19/2009, revised to Sleeve 2/9/2012

Next goal:  183
(deactivated member)
on 5/11/10 5:33 am - Des Moines, IA
I have read if you are ever considering plastic surgery for your tummy when you get to goal, go to your Dr. to have this documented and a picture taken.  This might help with insurance.

I would try Lotrimin for the yeast.  Keeping the area dry will help also.
monymony
on 5/11/10 5:47 am
Hi Sue, if you are thinking at all about having surgery to remove the skin, start seeing your doctor and taking pictures to document the rash. Insurance will only pay for a tummy tuck IF you can prove medical necessity. The pictures and doctor visits  are needed to submit to your insurance company. Mona

Veteran Bandster 2002

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

dearmamacita
on 5/11/10 6:26 am
Dear Sue,

I have had this problem also.  I was afraid that someone wouldn't develop the pictures, but explained it to the people that I needed pictures for insurance as it isn't pretty!!!  The doctor also wrote it up, and gave me medicine for a yeast infection.  Same medicine if a person has other yeast infections.  Cleared it up right away.   I now have it documented in case I decide to have it fixed.    Good Luck! 

Kay
Capricek
on 5/11/10 7:15 am - Riverdale, GA
REALIZE Band on 04/07/10 with

I can already see that I may have this problem. I have a digital camera and printer at home so I'm starting to take the pics now and will print them when the time comes. I use aloe vera from GNC, it works great for the irritation under the breasts. I haven't had the problem with my stomach yet, but I've been using this antiseptic cleanser my doctor told me about. Its called Hibicleanse. Its pretty good. Also, I'm in agreement with the powder. Only use powder containing corn starch. Talc isn't good for you. Hope this helps.

Pre Surgery Weight: 265 

snatale
on 5/11/10 9:01 am
Desiten Creamy is the best treatment I have found!
Nikki C.
on 5/11/10 9:10 am - Gaithersburg, MD
I have suffered with this forever!!!  When I get a really bad bout of itchiness or redness I used a powder subscribed by my surgeon called

Nyamyc

Nystatin Topical Powder

It is for fungal infections which is generally what is causing the odor and itchiness.  You could also probably use other antifungal powders, however when I know it's yeast I don't use anything else as I have found it will exacurbate the infection.

On a daily basis as long as there is not redness or itching,  I do use deoderant (solid anti perspirant - the stuff that goes on clear)  and it does seem to keep things dry. 

I hope you can find some relief and hopefully in the future get the skin removed to prevent further irritation! 

Good luck.

FlabToFab
on 5/11/10 11:11 am - Chino Hills, CA
On a side note... One of my friends had RNY and lost so much weight, she had a lot of excess skin on her abdomen which always got yeast infections.  It got so bad that it was emitting a rotten odor, and she always had open sores.  OTC creams did nothing for her and it was a constant, painful problem.

Her insurance ended up covering her plastic surgery/excess skin removal, because at that point, it was no longer considered "cosmetic."  You may want to look into it if you think that's something you'd ever think about!
Mandy- 6.5cc (10cc band) 
87 Pounds To Go!  304/257/170
Lisa O.
on 5/11/10 11:39 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Lap Band on 11/10/08 with
I used to get that all the time until my PCP gave me the cure.  But first, you should have your doctor document any outbreaks with photos in your medical record.  IF you ever want plastic surgery to remove extra skin you will want those outbreaks documented.  It's hard to get insurance to approve otherwise.

There is a liquid soap called Hibaclens.  You get it at the pharmacy in the antibiotic sprays, near band-aids and such.  It's in a turquise blue bottle.  Use it in the dark, damp places and it will totally stop the rashes and irritations.  It's expensive, (about $10 a bottle), but it works great!   I still use it 2x a week to keep those outbreaks at bay!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/10 4:20 pm
Goldbond medicated powder, but also their talc free powder will work.  (I am allergic to talc.)  Older people often use simple cornstarch since it keeps the area dry and prevents irritation.

I don't think I would do deoderant, although some people can use deoderant on their feet to help control sweating.