Hunger/Hunger Pangs After Surgery...how did you feel?

donnamy3sons
on 8/23/10 6:44 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13
shoot I was hungry the day of surgery.....The first 2 weeks for me were miserable. I felt like I was starving to death. I drank so much water, crystal light and broth in between my protein shakes. @ the 2 week mark I was able to start on pureed....It was the best food I had ever had in my life...refried beans were the best thing in the world! Just preapre yourself for the worst and then if it's not that bad then great! Good luck!~
CindyJo24
on 8/23/10 11:29 pm - Grand Blanc, MI
I'm right there with all of you.  Today is day 8 post surgery and I get to introduce yogurt and cream soups.  I've been hungry for 3 weeks.  The pre-op liquid diet turned me into a monster with my family because I never felt full.  Then I started having hunger again about 3 days post surgery and have been hungry a majority of the time since then.  I'm trying to not overeat so that the stomach has time to heal.  I can't decide if it's head hunger or real hunger.  I am getting about 1000 calories from the protein shakes and few ounces of mushy foods, and I am drinking 64 ounces of water.  But I am still hungry a big part of the time.  Plus I miss weight training/exercise which I have stopped since it makes me even more hungry.

I think the key is to remember that this phase and these feelings are temporary and following the doctors instructions at every step are vital for long term success.   We can do this!  I'm going to leave the house today and go to the library with a shake.  I hope being out will take my mind off food for a few hours.

Wishing you all the best!
                       ~ Cindy
Learning to live, no longer living to eat

Most Active