Symptoms of band slippage, severe acid reflux

got2wantit
on 10/13/10 9:21 am
Could someone please tell me the symptoms that you would have with band slippage?  I have been having what I would consider severe acid reflux during the night.  Many things that I eat cause me to have extreme pressure in my band area.  Any help would be appreciated.  How is it determined if you have a slip?
Jean M.
on 10/13/10 9:34 am
Revision on 08/16/12
That would worry me, too.  When my band slipped, I had heartburn and reflux 24 hours a day, pressure and pain in my chest, inability to swallow liquids, a sore throat from the reflux, etc.  It was instantly cured by a total unfill.  I've also had some of those symptoms when my band was just too tight, and a small unfill solved the problem.

Band slips are usually diagnosed with an upper GI x-ray - you swallow barium and they watch it travel down your esophagus and into your stomach.  A knowledgeable radiologist will recognize band slippage from those views.  Unfortunately, a lot of radiologists wouldn't recognize a gastric band if they found it floating in their breakfast cereal.

So my advice is: call your surgeon.  The longer you let it go, the harder it will be to treat.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

got2wantit
on 10/13/10 9:42 am
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and making me feel a lot better.  I will call my surgeons office tomorrow.
Becca63
on 10/13/10 12:31 pm - New Braunfels, TX
I had a severe slip repaired 2 weeks ago today. I had only the night time reflux. My reflux was so bad that I spent months sleeping upright on pillows and/or a recliner with it no reclined.I aspirated several times and had aspiration Pnuemonia. When they did the gastric study not only at that time they saw a slip but a very large Hiatal Hernia that had not been there when the original surgery was done. Until 2 weeks ago I could only eat mushy foods before noon and then nothing but liquids until 6pm. If I went a minute past any of those times I was miserable all night. Go to the doctor right away. I did alot of damage to my esophagus and lungs as well as my vocal cords. This tyoe of reflux is not normal. When they went in to repair the hernia and place a new band they found that my band had slipped almost 5 inches.

Becca from South Texas.

Zee Starrlite
on 10/14/10 12:37 am
Becca,

Why did you go on for months like this? My reflux was so bad that I spent months sleeping upright on pillows and/or a recliner with it no reclined.

I'm curious and not at all being a "smart butt".

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Kate -True Brit
on 10/13/10 4:33 pm - UK

You need to see your surgeon  as soon as  you can.

Best wishes, Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

melly37
on 10/13/10 11:33 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12

When my band slipped, I had the night coughing and acid reflux.  I didn't have it every night and day, so I thought I was probably okay, just stressed.  (I was stressed) But, alas, I also had a slip. 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

got2wantit
on 10/13/10 11:37 pm
Am I correct in assuming that to repair the slipped band that I have to have the surgery all over again?  The thought of that makes me I'll!!
Got2want it - Lena        
Lynn C
on 10/14/10 12:47 am
Yup, I had reflux but not a slip, mine was a pouch dilation. Get to your doc and get it looked at quick - the longer you wait the more change of damage.

Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

got2wantit
on 10/14/10 3:46 am
What type of testing did the Doctor do to determine that it was pouch dialation and how was the problem fixed?  Tuesday is the earliest that I can get in to see my Dr.  Right now my fears are running crazy.
Most Active