Airport Body Scan

MaMa_M
on 11/21/10 8:05 pm - MI
I am going to fly on Wednesday...I have been hearing a lot about these new body scans. Has anyone had experience with the body scan and their reaction to your band and port? Do they think you have something concealed within your body??? I am a little nervous.
MaMa M

reverie
on 11/21/10 8:27 pm, edited 11/21/10 8:52 pm
The machines see inside of your clothes, not inside of your body. You'll be fine. They have been tested safe for use with people with medically implanted devices. Look on the TSA website if you're worried.

Banded May 10, 2010

Onederland June 12, 2010

SW: 245lbs CW: 131lbs GW: 125ish.

From a size 20 to a size 2! Woo hoo.

vivianhunter
on 11/21/10 8:37 pm
I wonder if they are going to hold up all the loose skin on my tummy, and look under there. Not a pretty picture.wonder if a terroist , with a box cutter, could to a tummy tuck
Viv
Kim S.
on 11/21/10 8:58 pm - North of Boston, MA
Not thrilled with the extra radiation exposure and I wonder if the port is close enough to the surface to show up?  I fly in Dec and plan to decline the scan if it comes up.  I'm hoping they will only be using them for people who set off the metal detectors.

Kim

Down 95+ pounds and still trucking along

Amy D.
on 11/21/10 9:10 pm - Stratford, Canada
When flying to Hawaii in January I went through a body scanner in Toronto and they must have seen my port because they made me lift up my sweater and checked around my waistband.  Then they sprayed me with this solution to ensure I hadn't touched anything explosive recently.

Jean M.
on 11/21/10 9:19 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
First of all, I can't resist the opportunity to say that I would strip naked in the middle of the airplane concourse if it would prevent a terrorist from getting on my plane.

I've flown a lot, before and after band surgery, and I've also been through scanners at courthouses.  TSA and other security people are well accustomed to dealing with people who have medical implants.  I have a Lap-Band patient ID card and also have no problem showing a (female) security agent my port incision.  A trick I learned/adapted from an acquaintance who has a prosthetic leg is to tell the agent in advance, "I have a medical implant."

In all my world travels in the past (USA, Canada, UK, Europe, India, Asia, South America, the Caribbean), I have been treated roughly or disrespectfully by airport security agents on only 2 occasions (in Korea & Peru).  Never in the USA.  If the new, more sensitive scanners detect your band or port, you're not going to be handcuffed, thrown into a locked room and beaten with a billy stick.  If you miss your flight because of additional security procedures, it's not the end of the world.  But if the new scanners miss the terrorist in seat 14A, it could very well be the end of your world.

Now that we're (at least temporarily) past my strong opinions on this subject, I do suggest that you get to the airport 30-60 minutes earlier, in case the new scanning procedures slow down traffic through the security checkpoint.

Happy trails!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

elavin
on 8/1/13 10:19 pm - TX

Hi, Jean, I saw your post on this web site about having a lap band patient ID card for use at airport security.  I had lap band surgery August 1 and plan air travel in late September.  Can you please tell me more about this ID card?  Is it a TSA form?  Or something from the surgeon?   Please advise.  Thanks.  Ed Lavin

Jean M.
on 8/1/13 10:34 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

Ed,

My patient ID card came from my surgeon. Just give your surgeon's office a call now to make sure they'll be able to provide you with a card or even a letter (on their letterhead).

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

elavin
on 8/1/13 10:57 pm - TX

Thanks Jean.

pineview01
on 8/3/13 1:04 am - Davison, MI

My patient ID card came from the co in a packet with Lapband log on it.  I had to log on to the computer and input my ID number after surgery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active