So who do you actually KNOW?

Kate -True Brit
on 1/9/11 2:19 am, edited 1/9/11 2:24 am - UK

Stats can support almost anything!  I have a list of scientifically conducted studies which show band re-op rates ranging from 3% to 24%! Hardly a consensus!

So let's take a different approach. The people you actually know - not on OH but the ones you have met face-to-face.

I have met 15 other bandsters (so 16 including me!). Here's is how they are going on. The ones who post openly on OH, I give their OH names, the others, i just give letters to (A, B and so on). They are about 1/2 US and 1/2 in the UK. What I say about them is approximately true - sorry folks if I give the years or the loss slightly wrong! They are in no order, just as they came into my mind.

Bette - about 7 years out, long at goal
Mira - about 5+ years, long at goal
Me - almost 5 years, long below goal (even when I regained, i only just went over my original goal)
A - 2 years, well below goal and worrying she is getting a bit too thin
B -  3 - 4 years, lost about 100lbs then had baby and i have lost touch
Pepsi - BOB about 18 months ago - not worked for her!
Karen - about 3 years, got to goal but I have lost touch
Kristen 2 + years, was doing well,. but I have lost touch
Nekton same as Kirsten
DebT - 2-3 years, at goal (or very close)
C - 5 years, below goal
Karren - lots of gastric problems, no-one seemd to know if the band to blame. Band removed
D - 2 years, not quite at goal but close enough to be happy!
E - 5 years, at gaol for almost 4 years.
F -  4+  years, about 10lbs short of her goal but is happy to stay there
G - 4-5 years, not at goal but has long been at a weight which she enjoys and wants to maintain (her first band slipped and she had a new one put in but she did not comply with early eating instructions the first time round and this may have contributed to her slip)

So out of 16 people -

10  at or below goal; might be 13 as.......
3  were well on the way but I have lost touch.  They certainly haven't posted with problems
8  over 4 years out
0  under 2 years out
1  slip (band replaced)
1  leak  - me! (repaired)
1 - band has not worked for her!
1  -band removed (but may or may not be connected to the band)

I asked my doc at my last visit. Bands at that hospital are done by two docs; between them in 6 years they have had three patients with slips, two with leaks, one removal. They are not a conveyor belt style clinic and so the numbers they do bear no resemblance to the 1000s per year some of the US docs seem to do but even so, this is not indicative of the cr*p band people talk about!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Susan S.
on 1/9/11 2:30 am - apo, Germany
kate, I just posted about my lapband removal, can you possible have G, if they are still around, contact me about her experience.
Kate -True Brit
on 1/9/11 2:37 am - UK

I'll try. She is in the UK and came on OH 4 + years ago but doesn't now.  I met up with her about two months ago but it was through a third party and I don't have direct contact details. I have copied the address of this thread and if i can get hold of her, i will ask her to come here and PM you.

Hopefully someone will come on here for you. BetteB - she had a slip but can't remember if she got a new band or a repair job.

I will also copy your post on to the Band Grads board. I am sure I remember someone on there having a new band. Are you oer a year out? If so - come on the Band Grads Group board and ask!

Kate

cheyenne000
on 1/9/11 1:14 pm, edited 1/9/11 10:27 pm
VSG on 03/25/16
OK Kate I know or  met at least 40 people with bands. some have hit goal 3 have had major problems (1) had a port flip, (1 )Had an erosion. (1) had a band rejection. not all had same surgeon 5 went to Mexico and are doing good. the rest are doing good  some 20% are having problems with restriction but everybody differ es on what restriction is and now are waiting for the band to do the work,  but some hit goal right away and all seem to be doing good they are definitely healthier then they were

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

Kate -True Brit
on 1/9/11 2:38 am - UK

Gosh! Just seen you are only 3 months out! That should NOT happen. Surely this is surgical error???

Kate

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/11 8:57 am
Her Doc, Dr Weiner is the numero uno dude in Germany. If there is a tv report about WLS he's in it..

Petra
MARIA F.
on 1/9/11 3:33 pm - Athens, GA
On January 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM Pacific Time, Susan S. wrote:
kate, I just posted about my lapband removal, can you possible have G, if they are still around, contact me about her experience.

Hun I'm so sorry! I just noticed how new your band is! I have known of a coupld others that had that happen at 2 mos. and one that developed esophageal dysmotility at 1 mo. and another that had erosion at I think 2 or 4 mos. It always makes me sad to hear these stories b/c I know u never even  had a chance to see if the band would work for u. That must be such a devestating experience for u!!!

Will u be revising to a different WLS now?

Keep us updated!

FormerlyFluffy.com

steelerfan1
on 1/9/11 2:39 am, edited 1/9/11 2:57 am
I know 10 people

One my best friend : she has had hers for 2.5 yrs now lost only 50 pounds. Not bands fault she don't follow any of the rules

the nine others are from support group meeting

3 of them has had there's for 5 yrs and at goal. One lost 150 pounds, one lost 85 pounds and one lost 200 plus

3 others are 2 yrs plus one of them is at goal and the other one still has about 75 more pounds to lose and the other one is maintaining her weight

and then the rest of us that includes me is newbies that are a 3months or younger .Just starting out .

I was like you Kate I asked my doc about how many repairs he has done in the six yrs he has been doing this.  He has redone two for slips one of them was the girls fault for not following eating instructions .  He has redone 1 for leaky port that is it out of six yrs !!

Oh I forgot one , a person I camp with she had one for three yrs but had it taken out it slipped and she was at goal.  She has been at goal for 2 yrs plus  now without her lapaband has kept her weight off 

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Kate -True Brit
on 1/9/11 2:40 am - UK

Not all that much of a cr*p band then!!!

Kate

steelerfan1
on 1/9/11 2:43 am
On January 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM Pacific Time, kate P wrote:

Not all that much of a cr*p band then!!!

Kate
no its not Kate .  That is why I dont pay attention to them stats.  

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Most Active