whats the deal with edamame?

kalamtykel
on 1/11/11 11:20 am
I see alot of people mention eating this.  I know its a soy bean... or something, right?  But where do you get it?  Do most grocery stores carry it?  How do you eat it?  Do you open it and take the beans out to eat or do you eat the whole pod thing?  Eat it raw or cooked?

Yes, i admit it i am clueless on this.  But i need more variety!  Theres only so many light string cheese sticks i can eat. 

So whats the dealio??

Kel
psychomom
on 1/11/11 11:30 am - China Grove, NC
I have always had it steamed , just the bean part with salt on it ! Good stuff. Most grocery stores carry it probably in the freezer section. Also I have gotten at Japanese resturants.:)

conchita109
on 1/11/11 11:48 am - Greencastle, PA
Absolutely LOVE edamame!! I eat it steamed with kosher salt on the pods...then bite the pod, and eat the bean..don't eat the pod (very tough). It is fairly high in protein (soy product).

I see that you can now buy them in the freezer section ...so, I now own some and munch on them every now and again...hmmm..just might make some tonight!!

Enjoy!!

Conchita
Everything happens for a reason so, I am taking it a step at a time. I can do it!      

FunnyFlamingo2010
on 1/11/11 9:00 pm

I eat edamame several times per week.

I don't mess with the pods, I buy mine in the frozen food secion and it is already shelled.  I just throw the bag in the microwave for 5 minutes.

It is a baby soy bean.  They are kinda crunchy.  Love, love them and they are a good source of protein.

Steph

Lapand surgery 1-6-2010
1st fill 2-16-2010   3.5cc for a total of 5.5 cc
2nd fill scheduled 3-24-2010   NO FILL!!  
3rd fill scheduled 5-11-10  NO FILL =-)
July 1st fill   
August 26 fill   6.8 cc's
November 17 fill   7.2cc's

- 138 lbs GONE!!! 

I am soooo lovin' my band!
It keeps me honest  =-)

tracycoder
on 1/11/11 9:45 pm
Oooh, I love edamame!  You can buy it in the freezer section of your local grocery store and some Costcos carry it in a box of individual servings that you can just pop in the microwave.

You can buy them already shelled, but I prefer to nuke mine in the shell because it takes a little longer to eat them that way (I want to make my food experiences last! lol)
Tiff tells all
on 1/12/11 12:50 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
i love my edamame SHELLED. So it's just the bean. I like it steamed up with one of the following....

sea salt
kosher salt
curry powder and touch of garam masala
cajun seasoning
little pesto sauce and Parmesan
little palak paneer sauce

I don't however recommend using it to make a home made hummus. that was a disaster! 

4 oz of steamed edamame has just 3 grams of fat and 8 grams of protein. And it's just a fun thing to eat if you get them in the shell.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

hedgehogdude
on 1/12/11 5:27 am - CO
Alton Brown did edamame on a Good Eats episode and one of the recipes was for a hummus-like dip.  Haven't tried it myself, but Alton has never steered me wrong...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/edamame-dip-recipe/index.html

Tiff tells all
on 1/12/11 5:36 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
I'll try it again, but I just couldn't get that super smooth texture that you expect from hummus. I'm not sure where I went wrong.

Tiff

Lynn C
on 1/12/11 5:45 am
hummus is made from chickpeas not edamame - the texture of the edamame is to firm to obtain the same type of texture you get with a chickpea.

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Tiff tells all
on 1/12/11 5:52 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
I make my own chickpea (garbanzo) hummus all the time. When I tried the edamame I really expected it would be somewhat similar.

Tiff

Most Active