Do we really need all this drama?

Lillys_Mommy
on 1/13/11 12:16 am - TX

Someone alerted me to this website some months ago before my lapband surgery to help me with questions, research, and to find a supportive group of people and I have to say I am very disappointed with the amount of drama I see on here everyday. Why do people insist on bad mouthing others, posting negative posts (and i dont mean your strictly informative experiences with the band), and starting "lapband wars". Sometimes this is as bad as facebook. I dont understand why everyone has to down eachother? Were all in this together. We were all overweight, we all had to resort to a WLS, and we're all going through similar struggles and experiences. We also all knew the risks so it shouldnt matter if the lapband or the sleeve is better because we all knew the risks involved and there ARE risks involved with all of them. People are entitled to make thier own chooses based on whats right for your body. What matters is most of us were suffering from a weight related illness and the surgery or wieght loss from the surgery is ultimately helping us eliminate that high bp or diabetes. Its worth the risk or we wouldnt have made the choice to have the surgery in the first place.

Look this post isnt to meant to "stir the $%*&". Its a reminder to love your neighbor like yourself especially now that were all in this and we are the only ones who understand eachother. My husband couldnt understand what its like to feel the craziness I did in my first week post op or understand why I'm worried whether or not I'm eating enough protein. I sometimes depend on the people in this forum to give me strength when I have none and to help me understand what I dont and I dont like the drama. Its extremely unnessesary....

P.S. If you dont have anything nice to say about this post or others DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL! Thanks

Elizabeth    
Hermosa L
on 1/13/11 12:30 am
OH wasn't always like this .. esp when I first started on the boards! It was very helpful and supportive.. lately it has been more negative about the weight loss wars.. my suggestion is not to read it.. skip over it like I do.

Second when you want to post something ask a question or be postive about something happening to you .. I encourage you to post... people will respond and it creats a great atmosphere on OH...

Good luck on your journey! 
psychomom
on 1/13/11 12:33 am - China Grove, NC
Well said !

jaxmom
on 1/13/11 12:33 am
Unfortunately, in all communities, you will find negativity. This one is no different. Nothing is perfect, BUT, fortunately, the amount of kind and supportive people on this board massively outnumbers the hate spewers. I stayed away for a while because I was annoyed by having to defend my decision to have the lap band. I have seen people get slammed for low-carb dieting. Some people are just very opinionated, which is their right... some people are just plain mean. These debates, comments, negativity, etc have been going on for a looong time and will continue to, despite our efforts to stop them. It only seems to fuel the fire more if you give them a soap-box. I am not sure which specific comments you are referring to, as I just returned here after an extended hiatus, but I just hope that you will seek out the people that have a ton of knowledge and support to impart and that you try to stay involved with these positive people. All I can say is that they were the key to my success when I was a newbie. Try not to get yourself caught up in the negative vibes.... just feel sorry for people who live their lives so unhappily and press on with the awesome bunch of people who will support you through your journey. Wishing you the best : )
Lap-Banded March 16, 2010
263.4/187/148(Start/current/Goal)

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

Lillys_Mommy
on 1/13/11 12:43 am - TX
I normally wouldnt say anything but when I look at a post that labeled something like "Help" because I'm wondering 2 things, if that person needs my help or is going through something I'm experiencing at that moment or in the future and I looking for advice. Thats just a made up example  btw and then I see all this arguing, bashing, and negativity it makes me want to delete my profile. Its upsetting because like I said I sometimes depend on this site for my sanity lol...
Elizabeth    
MomTo3Ds
on 1/13/11 2:12 am
That's exactly how I feel. I believe I'll delete my profile. Good luck to ALL of you, regardless what choice YOU made.
Nic M
on 1/13/11 2:18 am
MomTo3Ds,

Don't delete your profile, seriously... there's a lot to be learned here. If I bother you, I'll understand if you block me, honest.  But, truly, there's a lot to know about WLS... things you might not even have considered yet... and there's always at least one person who's gone through it and might be able to help.

I hope you'll reconsider.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

MomTo3Ds
on 1/13/11 8:00 am

Thanks for the reply! I'm just that new, I didn't see a post from you until today. You aren't bothering me honest. The times that I've lurked, it's always been the same people "informing" you about the band.

Stephanie M.
on 1/13/11 12:50 am
It is unfortunate that some who frequent this board take it upon themselves to be the "anti-band Police", offering unsolicited advice, questioning a person's ability to make an educated decision, even resorting to insults and name calling....but it is the nature of the internet forum beast, that some feel that they are entitled to do just that.  My advice is to ignore or block the negatives.  The really unfortunate part is that these are pretty intelligent people and their message isn't getting through because of the way it is presented.  I don't agree with them most of the time, but sometimes they do have something usefull to offer. 
It is interesting, but I don't often see these same folks posting on the other boards; DS, Sleeve, etc or on the failed WLS forum.
Sort of makes it look like their intent is to bully, berate and intimidate rather than educate.
I just ignore them...their stats are outdated and most of what they post is OPINION.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/11 12:54 am - MN
Most Active