Hiatus Hernia after Lap Band surgery

purpletustin
on 2/22/14 7:09 am

I had lapband 7 years ago.  First 5 years great.  Year 6 nausea, throwing up.  Saw the doctor and he told me I was eating too fast.  Never even examined me.  Suffered last 2 years, constant throwing up.  Unable to lean over without throwing up.  Had to sleep sitting up.  Finally went to Gastroenterologist and was diagnosed with hernia and very severe GERD.  Saw lap Band doctor, a new one as I wouldn't go back to other doctor.  He told me I was overfilled 6cc.  He immediately removed the saline this past week and I have been great ever since.  I don't have to get the hernia operated on as long as I can keep the GERD under control which I can now easily do thanks to this new Lap Band doc.  I curse the doctor who did my original lap band as he 'blew me off' instead of investigating.  I am irritated with myself for not being more aggressive in finding out why my health was deteriorating so severely.  Had chest pain and cardiologist thought it was angina.  He eventually diagnosed me as having GERD.  Never knew over filled lap band (Realize band) could impact life so severely.  At present time, due to lots of damage to stomach and esophagus, will do nothing until healed.

Easternshoregrl
on 3/13/14 9:00 pm - MD
Saw my sx yesterday. I knew I had a hiatal hernia since last year. I had lap band Sx 5 years ago. My sx wants to repair the hernia. The report says it's small to moderate.
I hope the hernia sx doesnt' mean taking out my band and placing it back in the future. I was so upset about having the hernia sx and the band unfilled, my brain shut off to hear anymore.

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

lizybird
on 2/18/16 8:49 am - Tamarac, FL

I am loking at these post Feb 19, 2015. years later from allyour posts.  I have a large Hernia and a 6 year old lapband.  Tomorww I go and have a ct of the chest. I need advise regarding the hernia.  I only have 34 lbs left to get to goal after losing 96 lbs.  One Dr wants to do either a sleeve or a rny.  I will be 68 years old and I dont want the rny.  from your experiences will i hve to hve the lapband removed when the hernia is fixed.  thanks.  I am so upset I can't even think straight.

SandiJo
on 1/30/15 5:04 am

Hi Everyone,

Brand new to this.  I was not aware such great information was available.  Lap band in 2008.  I did lose about 40 lbs and have kept most of it off.  But, I do not ever feel full. My feeling has always been one of going to throw up...which I will do if not very very very careful.  Band was loosened and things are not much better.  Now I have hernia which they say can be caused from band.  Also sore spot on the outside of my skin where band is located.  I am very careful not to carry items close to my body.  I am hoping band can be removed when hernia is reparied.  Anyone else with same concern?

Jean M.
on 2/14/11 8:25 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
I have a hiatal hernia that my original surgeon chose not to repair when he placed my band (not a good decision). The hernia contributed to a band slip, which was fortunately cured by a complete unfill and rest period. During the slip I had severe reflux, heartburn, chest pain, night cough, and sore throat from the acid, but the only other times I've had reflux since being banded were when my band was too tight, and a small unfill treated that. Taking acid reducing meds (like prilosec) did nothing to help my symptoms.

I asked my new surgeon if I should have the hernia repaired to prevent a future slip, and she said no, not unless I start having major problems. If you're having severe heartburn, chest pain and nausea for a long time period, that sounds like a major problem to me. If it were me, I'd go ahead with the hernia repair.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active