Constant burping and burning in my throat.

Lucy21485
on 4/22/14 1:31 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 08/20/06

I was banded in 2006 and lost only 20 lbs. I was severely depressed and didn't change my eating habits or exercise so I am currently at my pre-op weight. Any who....lately I've been waking up with burning in my throat and after I eat I'm burping up a storm. I also get burning in my throat after drinking liquids. Anyone else have this problem? I have an appointment today with my surgeon to see if he can take fluid out. I really want to convert to the sleeve but I don't think my insurance will cover it because they denied me before for not compliance and because it wasn't medically necessary. I hope the surgeon will find something wrong so that I can get rid of this crap band!!!

Hislady
on 4/22/14 5:24 am - Vancouver, WA

Sounds like you are either too tight or you are starting to have problems like many others of us with heart burn and esphageal issues. This is how my problems started and now even after having my band removed I'm still having problems with it. Please see your surgeon ASAP and don't just trust any tests they may do because hundreds of people have been told their bands are fine and end up with lots of scar tissue and other problems. Just because the band is positioned correctly doesn't mean there aren't problems or scar tissue. The scar tissue builds up between the stomach and the band so isn't always seen by tests.

Don't feel bad the band only helped me lose 20 lbs too. Now I am losing because it is so difficult to eat! So I guess even with out it, it is finally making me lose weight. Hang in there but don't put off seeing your surgeon, hopefully he can help you. Good luck!

Kate -True Brit
on 4/22/14 5:29 am - UK

Acid reflux is a classic symptom of being too tight.  I wish you all the best at your surgeon's appointment but you do need to realise that with any weight loss surgery, you need to change your eating habits. Maybe you need counselling before a further surgery?  If you do get a sleeve, it is still down to you after the first few months to make healthy choices. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Lucy21485
on 4/22/14 11:06 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 08/20/06

I will definitely change my eating habits this time around. Thanks!

tdbull
on 4/23/14 2:26 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
This is what happened to me. After 2 bands, the first being the 4cc where I did lose 130lbs but suffered with emergency unfills, etc., my surgeon revised to a bigger band, where I never found my sweet spot and gained 60lbs back and got reflux. My reflux got so bad that I literally didn't sleep lying down for over a year. Surgeon finally said band needed to be removed and he revised me to RNY. haven't missed the band and my reflux is completely gone, as well as 80lbs. Best of luck, but in my case, I gave up all spicy food, wine, chocolate, anything that could trigger reflux, and I stopped eating at least 3 hours before bedtime. Nothing resolved my reflux, so literally had to be completely unfilled. Having my band was a complete nightmare. I am so pleased with my decision to revise. You might ask your surgeon if revision is an option for you.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

pineview01
on 4/23/14 6:01 pm, edited 4/23/14 6:01 pm - Davison, MI

I was banded in 2008.  I lost ~ 40/50 pounds.  I had issues and at one time was higher than SW.  The last months I was able to lose some again with hard work and constant unfills.  I would get some taken out start losing and than it would tighten back up.  I would go back get more out and start the cycle again.I spent the last 9-12 months sleeping propped in a sitting position.  Once the band was removed and the stomach was heal the reflux stopped and I was able to get the sleeve.  I am very happy with it.

My insurance went to a one in a lifetime WLS policy will I was going thru this.  I had the documentation to prove, even though I did find out they hadn't put all I was going thru in writing, compliance and medical necessity.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active