Lap Band Removal??

Pangie82
on 8/26/14 10:38 am

Anyone had their lap band removed? How long did you wait before having a sleeve ? I am wondering what kind of recovery is there for a lap band removal? I am looking forward to getting this thing out. How long was your hospital stay? How long were you out of work? Was there much pain associated with the removal? How long till you could eat normal food again

pineview01
on 8/26/14 12:57 pm - Davison, MI

I had my band almost 4 years.  My surgeon wanted me to wait 2-4 months but he left and the surgeon that removed mine prefers you to wait 4-6 months to heal.  I was 4.5 months between band and sleeve.  During this time the reflux from the band cleared also.  Getting the sleeve was less of a problem for me than get the band or getting it removed.  When removing the band they treat it as no biggy and was home less than 4 hours after the started the operation.  They also gave me crackers in recovery.  Take my advise, even though they treat it like it isn't a big deal, treat it like you are newly banded and do the protein shakes to heal faster and slowly introduce food in stages like when banded.  Now, for the sleeve I would have rather gone home but they made me stay two night.  I spent it taking care of my roomy that had a RNY and was having a hard time.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Pangie82
on 8/26/14 10:22 pm

Congratulations!!  I cannot wait to have this Band removed.  I just wondered if eating food is different now.  I know that the amount of food is certainly limited, but is the swallowing more comfortable? 

pineview01
on 8/28/14 2:00 pm - Davison, MI

It is funny as the band still felt like it was there from the scare tissue for a while.  Slowly swallowing became more comfortable.  Just don't think you will come out felling like you never had the band as you won't be the same.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Bonnie1960
on 9/7/14 1:51 am

My surgeon is removing mine and doing the sleeve the same time, my band has been in place for 11 years. It's probably adhered to everything and I can imagine how much scar tissue he'll have to wade thru...Im hoping for a smooth and uncomplicated day!

LAPBAND Surgery in Norman, Oklahoma on 12/3/2003

Vertical Sleeve  Revision Surgery  in Amarillo, Texas on  12/1/2014   

JulsD
on 9/14/14 11:33 pm

I hope all went well. I just had my Lap-Band removed 9/4/14 after 6 yrs. My insurance would not approved both surgeries at the same time, but my surgeon said I had a lot a scar tissue and he wouldn't have been able to do both without complications. I am very eager to get my sleeve sugery, I'm petrified of gain all my weight back while waiting the "3 months to heal". I would love to hear how things are going for you.

peacheeie
on 9/21/14 1:42 am

Hello....I am new to this site and just noticed your post.  I too just had my band taken out on friday!  It was not my choice, all tests indicated nothing was wrong and the only thing was that my port had tilted a little and was causing me a pinching feeling.  I was told a simple "20 minutes, local, in and out".  It was nothing of the sort.  Doctor told me there was a puss pocket and the tubing was beginning to errode.  Nobody ever came out to talk to my mother who had been waiting 8 hours!  I really like my doctor but there is a part of me that feels robbed.  I worked so hard to get this band 5 years ago and I know you all have had to do the same.  To go in for a "simple 20 minute proceedure" and to come out shocked is still something I am having a VERY hard time with.  Needless too say, he did mention there was a chance it may have to come out and something about 6 weeks for a new one.  My problem is that my BMI is now 26 and no insurance company will approve me for a band or sleeve...that is until I gain 50 pounds which is what has me completely freaked out.  Do these doctors have ways about getting around it because they took and "bad erroded band out"?  Im so confused

Nic M
on 9/21/14 3:11 am

Sounds like you were probably in pretty rough shape... moreso than they're even letting on. If the tubing was eroding and there was a pus pocket, that means you probably had infection of some sort. You should probably try to see this as a good thing since if you'd have left the band in, you'd most likely end up with significant issues. Sorry that you didn't have time to prepare, though. 

I had tests, too, and they didn't show the extent of the damage done by the band. It's really a good thing that they removed the band. You do not want to end up with even worse complications.  Do the best  you can. I hope you can find a way to remain healthy and at peace. Good luck! 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

peacheeie
on 9/23/14 8:21 am

ty:)  As each day goes by, I am having the time to accept the band being taken out and that it was most likely saving me from another bigger issue.  I do believe things happen for a reason & a friend of mine had a horrific incident with her band and literally almost died.  This is one of the things that makes me want to have the sleeve but I cannot see any insurance company, especially mine (Cigna) approving me with a BMI of 26.  I have my post op appt on Thursday, wrote down all my questions and am looking forward to some type of closure.  Thank you for your support and and words of encouragement....I have really found people on this web site to be more knowledgeable than anyone!  TY

Nic M
on 9/24/14 2:38 am

That's good news that you're processing well.  I hope you continue to do well and heal. 

I almost died from band complications, as well. It's a very scary, life changing thing. I'm glad you're okay. 

~Nic

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active