11 years out..Im getting a revision!

Bonnie1960
on 9/6/14 2:41 am, edited 9/7/14 1:46 am

Having a revision to Gastric Sleeve on 9/15/2014. Band has been empty for a year, prior to that,  I have had painful issues with esophagus spasms, acid reflux and weight gain.

I think it's time for me to start this journey over!

LAPBAND Surgery in Norman, Oklahoma on 12/3/2003

Vertical Sleeve  Revision Surgery  in Amarillo, Texas on  12/1/2014   

vlp1968
on 9/6/14 7:44 am

Best of luck!  You can do it!

SONIABARRAZA
on 9/9/14 10:23 am

THATS THE SAME BOAT IM IN BUT IM SERIOSELY THINKING OF JUST GETTING IT REMOVED ALL TOGETHER 

Bette B.
on 9/6/14 8:41 am

(laughs) We had surgery on the same day. 2003? It's not THIRTEEN years; it's ELEVEN. 

But seriously - best of luck to you with the revision. I know a lot of people have gone band--->sleeve and done great with it. Pop in and let us know how everything is going, okay?

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Hislady
on 9/6/14 12:03 pm - Vancouver, WA

I hope all goes well for you, lots have had to revise because of the same issues, you are far from alone!

Kate -True Brit
on 9/6/14 6:08 pm - UK

Very best wishes. Revision to the sleeve seems to work well for most people. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Bonnie1960
on 9/7/14 1:44 am, edited 9/7/14 1:46 am

I sure did put 13, Im feelin kinda dorky right know, I need to go back to math class!  I fixed it, thanks for the tutoring  :)

NanaB .
on 9/7/14 3:04 am

Hello..

I am not trying to rain on your revision parade, but I HOPE you have researched IN-DEPTH the Sleeve and its side effects and possible complications. You mention that you are having painful issues with your esophagus and acid reflux and weight gain, if you've researched the Sleeve it may not be your best bet regarding Re flux and esophagus issues, MANY are getting revisions now in droves due to horrible reflux issues with Sleeve, many report vomiting in their Sleep - horrible burning in their stomach and pain, and they MUST be on powerful PPi's (acid reducers) for LIFE..which can cause other issues.

I've had what you had with my old 4cc/10cm band I am 9 years out so I can relate to your pain and frustration, the cause of my issues were a hiatal hernia that was never repaired

I found a great surgeon to fix me and now I am reflux and issue free. I am not suggesting getting another band because they are not for everyone, but you should be prepared that your reflux may not go away with a revision to the Sleeve, and MOST start having issues further down the road, like 2-5 years out, they say the reflux gets worse and there is nothing you can do about it since your stomach will be gone except for get a revision to RNY.

Good luck

Bonnie1960
on 9/7/14 4:18 am

Nana,

That's my BIGGEST fear, is that I'm going from the frying pan to the fire.

Any small amount of saline in my band created the painful spasms, that's my main reason. I was also on a strong PPi for the reflux and it didn't make any difference, I was up all night, every night choking and aspirating the acid, it was horrible! Once the saline was removed I have not had any issues at all, 'cept of course the weight gain.  I never had restriction, or that elusive sweet spot. I have to drive to another state (450 miles) to get fills and that's only on a certain day, and my job doesn't allow me to easily get that day off. if I'm over filled,  I'm stuck, or drive the 450 back to Oklahoma, which I've had to do many many times over the years... Most surgeons here only do the RNY or Sleeve and will not fill another surgeons patient...

I'm just hoping and praying this is the right decision for me...

NanaB .
on 9/7/14 4:36 am

I understand, and I hope and pray that you do well with your Sleeve, but you need to grill your surgeon on his Sleeve skills and how many has he/she has done. Because remember ALL Sleeves ARE NOT created equal, some people do well and don't have many issues, but MOST DO have some level of reflux and burning, but if you have a very skilled revision surgeon hopefully you will do well.

Some complain that either the Sleeve is too tight or they have a Sleeve that is too big rendering it useless, and the thing is that after you've had a Lap band so many years you get USED to TIGHT restriction and the band sorta helping you stop eating, but with the Sleeve the food just go down and you have to stop yourself ...I hear that if you keep your meals mostly proteins this help with satiety and hunger and you must on PPi's acid reducers straight out of surgery this is a REQUIREMENT with the best made Sleeves.

Sleevers that experience horrible reflux also get the horrible and dangerous aspiration and chocking at night, (similar to lap band slippage, but this is a way of life with many Sleevers that have horrible reflux).

The only reason I am comfortable with the lap band is that I can always adjust it, and/or remove it if something goes wrong with it.

I gotcha on the lap band being a pain in the a@@, which it can be if something goes wrong with it, the good news about the Sleeve is that many tend to lose a bit more weight than with the lap band overall, but you have to be very careful on your Surgeon's skills.

I wish you the best and hopefully you can be prepared to ask your Surgeon about their Skills and let them know your concerns about reflux with the Sleeve.

Wishing you the best,

Most Active