Fluid removal prior to medical procedure not related to the band

rfcouey
on 12/12/14 9:04 am

Next week I'm having an EGD and Colonoscopy on the same day.  I'm getting the fluid removed the day before, and refilled the day after.  If there's anyone who has had this done, are there any problems I should be ready for?  for background, I had my surgery in January 2011 and I was 400 when I started this journey.  I'm now at 226, although I've put back about 12 in the last 6 weeks, probably because I got lazy with my running when it turned cold.  I've had no --repeat -- zero problems with the band.

Kate -True Brit
on 12/12/14 3:30 pm - UK

I assume it was the anaesthetist asked for the fluid to be removed? Many don't require it for short anaesthetics. I have been anaesthetised since being banded and had no fluid removed either time. But mine wasn't for an EGD, just dental work. Obviously a tube into the stomach is a bit different! But unless the band is too tight, even that can be done without fluid removal - it happened to a friend of mine. The doctor told her that is might need a bit of extra care but that the end of the tubing was rigid and much smaller than th band opening. So maybe not all the fluid has to be removed!

But, obviously, if that is what your doctor thinks necessary, that is what has to be done!

So as I have never had fluid removed, I can't really say what it will be like afterwards but from reading on here for nine years, I think you need to be prepared for it to be possibly difficult to get back to the level of fill which is right for you. I have read quite a few posts from people saying that was a problem for them.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kathkeb
on 12/13/14 11:14 am

I have had my band for 5 1/2 years.

I have had 2 plastic surgeries and 2 endoscopes since that time and NEVER removed fluid for them.

I have heard of so many people unfilling their bands for different reasons and then never getting back to a good level of restriction.

I did not want to risk it .... So I just ate carefully for a few days before and after each procedure .. And had no issues

Why are they removing fluid?  The endoscopy camera is tiny and should easily go through.  The colonoscopy won't be anywhere near your band.

Kath

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/14/14 3:02 pm

I want to reiterate what Kath said.  I, too have had plastic surgery (9 procedures done) and never once had any fluid removed from my band.  I have friends who emptied there for procedures and never again got to their "sweet spot" or "green zone"  I just didn't want to chance it.  Eating high protein prior to and post plastics was my surgeon's recommendation, so eating with my Band was never a problem.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Hislady
on 12/15/14 10:56 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with the others I've had over a dozen surgeries with my band and never had to have the fluid removed, never even had any removed. I've never had any problems with it. My surgeon said the only time they might need to take any out was if surgery involved my stomach or the area near it.

I too have read here and other forums that getting that green area again after removing fluid is extremely difficult. Even when they put back the exact same amount removed it may never work the same again. So be prepared to possibly have that to deal with.

Most Active